collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4s with their previous gen. counterparts (pic request)  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
G4s with their previous gen. counterparts (pic request)
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »
I saw a chart a while back that showed how the G4 Mane 6 were based off G1 ponies.
Even though I don't collect G1 I think it might be fun to have their G1 counterparts someday
but anyway, if anyone has pictures of G4s along side their G1,2,3 and 3.5 predecessors and inspirations I'd love to see. (Any G4 characters not just restricted to the Mane 6.)
Please show me!  :happy:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:12:19 AM by 3377345 »

Margos

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: G4s with their previous gen. counterparts (pic request)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »
Well, I'm going to do a few of these.  I wish I had more of the older-gen counterparts, but I'll work with what I have.

First, here's G3 and G4 Pinkie Pie hanging out with G1 Surprise:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Next, Firefly and Rainbow Dash:

Finally, I don't care what anyone says about Sparkler, Glory looks a heck of a lot like Rarity to me!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:28 AM »
I dont have any pictures to hand to help my apologies! I have always loved the association from G1 to G4 but its only when I actually see Surprise & Pinkie and Firefly & Dash that I realise how unalike they actually are?! Now AppleJack....that one I understand lol!

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BabyIceCrystal

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Active collector since 1983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
Firefly/Rainbow Dash and Surprise/Pinkie Pie were because of the personalities. If you check out Lauren Faust's original concept art of them that's who they were until Hasbro told her she couldn't use G1s except for Applejack. Surprise kept her wild curly hair and balloon symbol, she just got a colour change and lost her wings.

I've only got a couple of cross gen pictures because I don't have many G4s yet.

Personally, I imagine Brights Bramley to be the G2 version of Applejack as well and plan to track her down when I get money just because Applejack is my extra special pony from my childhood herd!

Want List

IIya

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »

cheerilee!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »
Firefly/Rainbow Dash and Surprise/Pinkie Pie were because of the personalities. If you check out Lauren Faust's original concept art of them that's who they were until Hasbro told her she couldn't use G1s except for Applejack. Surprise kept her wild curly hair and balloon symbol, she just got a colour change and lost her wings.

I remember reading that...I still dont quite see the meet up...but hey I am happy with ANY nod to G1! So I ll go with the flow!
Loa is my love god!

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Twinkleshine and Twinkle Star!

edit:
Have G1 & G3 Cotton Candy with G4 Sweetie Swirl too!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:06:58 PM by Moonbreeze »

Moonracer

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
I think that finding G1 counterpart to the existing G4 toys, is kind of tricky and hard at the same time. First thing is the fact that throughout the years Hasbro's lost the rights to many names for it's characters (hence, for example, Lauren Faust was unable to produce the show using the G1 characters... at least that's one of the reason). Besides, from what I've noticed, many G4 ponies have new names, which had not appeared in the first generation. But that's just my opinion...

The one thing you have to go by is the visual resemblance.

Speaking of which I can't help but notice that Rarity looks so much like Italian Sparkler:

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »

I remember reading that...I still dont quite see the meet up...but hey I am happy with ANY nod to G1! So I ll go with the flow!

Here are Lauren Faust's original concepts for the main characters.  ^_^

I made these a while ago...

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »
Surprise  would have been totally cool!  D:  I wonder WHY she could not keep them.  I don't get it.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
Surprise  would have been totally cool!  D:  I wonder WHY she could not keep them.  I don't get it.

I just don't get it, either.  If Hasbro doesn't have the rights, then who does?  and why would they only keep Applejack of all of the ponies?  I mean, not even Firefly?

I do have to say though, that before I saw the original concept drawings a while ago, I thought Fluttershy was inspired by Dancing Butterflies.

Appleseed

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »
I love this topic! I too am confused about where the rights to the other G1 TV show characters went; why was it only Spike and Applejack that they could keep the rights too? Hm. Well, at least  Twilight's mom in the show looks almost identical to G1 Twilight:

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

Awesome pic!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:02 AM »

I just don't get it, either.  If Hasbro doesn't have the rights, then who does?  and why would they only keep Applejack of all of the ponies?  I mean, not even Firefly?

I do have to say though, that before I saw the original concept drawings a while ago, I thought Fluttershy was inspired by Dancing Butterflies.

I dont want to sound cynical [again lol!] but in my personal opinion the whole "we lost the rights" reads as a little teeny bit of a fairy story to apologise nicely to collectors and fans about the lack [other than AJ] of a direct G1 presence...if you really start thinking about it for example HB are permitting the licensing of some of their original G1s [including Firefly remember] on to t-shirts and other materials right now. Not to mention that it was only 5 years ago that HB re-released 12 of these original G1s all with the same name as in the 80s - its a little coincidental that 5 of those they happened to loose were the 5 that LF wanted to use. It was the reason LF I believe claims to have been given when she tried to pitch the G1 focused concept which Tropical Sunset kindly posted. I know it does happen and names are lost - Transformers being a great example - but HB didnt loose the right to every single G1 MLP name other than AppleJack - they could have re-registered a lot of them as many of them certainly havent been picked up by other toy brands. Although perhaps they preferred the uniqueness of names like "Fluttershy" and "Twilight Sparkle" over more regular names like "Sparkler" and "Twilight"   

Personally I think it comes down to the fact that with G3 and 3.5 HB invested a lot in the characters of ponies like Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash...and they wanted to keep these characters in the franchise. The problem is once you change a couple of the characters you have to charge others in order to maintain the colour/type/concept balance - so you make Surprise pink and remove her wings which means you need to drop the other pink pony [suddenly Firefly becomes blue] and give someone else the wings you took off Surprise [along comes that yellow pony with wings and here is Fluttershy]...HB dont want to loose all the little girls who watched G3 and 3.5 some of them, their little sisters and their mums are still in their core target market.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Oak23

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kd-230692.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:42:37 AM »

I do remember there was some issue with trademarking Firefly because of Joss Whedon, though that was mainly to do with the show and not the toys.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal