collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Celestia and Luna - using the brushable Celestia bait! (w/step description)  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
I made a trade with kaiju artist Matt Frank, and my end of the trade included both Celestia and Luna in their show accurate version :). This was the perfect opportunity to try out making them both with the brushable Celestia bait.

I started out by finding these instructions showing how she's deconstructed, and thought it wasn't that hard. As expected, the part where you have to take off the wings to reach the tail was a pain, but once you take off the wings it all goes somewhat smoothly.

The head is prepped as normal (take apart from plug, cut hair as close to scalp as possible, remove hair from the inside), and for the body you follow the procedure shown in the instructions I linked to. Once I reached the tail, I tried to cut as much plastic around the tail as possible to be able to reach it better. At one point I had to use my dremel tool to remove more plastic from around the tail, being careful of not trapping the hair in the tool (happened to me, not good!). I then reached out from the inside with some small jewelry tongs and once I had a bit outside I pulled hard with some pliers, and alas the tail was out!

Before I started painting, I super glued the neckpiece to the pony and closed the gap on the back with some apoxie. I then proceeded to paint as usual (without the wings). Once the paint was ready, I put in the tail. For this I needed to put in the hair with the same procedure as this tutorial here at ponycustoms.com which is from the "outside in", and once it was inside I superglued the wings onto the body. I then carefully proceded to apply bits of apoxie around the seams to even them out and make them invisible, and once it cured I started painting the wings as normal (being VERY cautious of not moving them too much since they're so soft and elastic). If you're painting with a custom-blended paint color (like I did with Luna), here I recommend having some extra paint stored in a container because the wings are painted after the body is painted, so that will prevent mismatched paint jobs.

As a small mod to the crowns, I sharpened the tips of the crown with my exacto knife, and for Celestia's crown I added an extension of the central tip for maximum royalness :P .

For sealing I wrapped the tail with a small plastic bag as close to the root as possible and then sealed both body and head with Testor's Dullcote. Then I finally proceeded to rehair the head, place it on the plug on the body, style, and voila! Accurate Celestia and Luna with pretty, thick, brushable hair! :D

Here's the pics of them :) I'm so very sorry I don't have any more pictures (I was in a rush and didn't have time for a proper photoshoot) but hopefully these will be enough ^^.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Honestly, Luna is by far the prettiest Luna I've ever done <3 Celestia looks even more gorgeous as well, but I fell in love with Luna when I finished her, and it was really hard to let her go, but seeing the happy face of my trade partner was worth it! :P

"PONIEEEES!! :frolic:"

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Beautiful, you did an amazing job, theyre both perfect!!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Those are SOOOOOOO awesome!!  I've never been a fan or brushable celestia, but if she looked like that, I'd be all over her!  Seriously, those are amazing!

Offline Dee_Kary

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Thank you! :lovey:

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!

Offline babyblueducky

• That's Quacktastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • That's quack-tastic!
    • View Profile
both girls are beautifully done. love them.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
AHHH WOW!! I LOVE that Luna!!! What a lucky trade partner you have!

Offline Dee_Kary

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Thank you :D I was very happy too with what I got in this trade :lovey: I'll be posting a brag thread about it later on.

Post Merge: May 02, 2012, 08:08:26 AM

Oh, and I'm sorry everybody if you were all expecting WIP pictures of the steps  :blush: hope that written instructions are enough to understand my approach!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:08:26 AM by Dee_Kary »

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
They are both gorgeous!

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
Love Luna!!!

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
beautiful work! they both looks FABULOUS! :heart: and you are so informative ^_^

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Gorgeous! Luna is SO BLUE. lol
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
They are incredible!!! but then everything you do is awesome.

kirei_na_sakura

:::Jaw drops:::

Those are AMAZING!

Awesome job!  :biggrin: :lol: :biggrin:

Offline Dee_Kary

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Thank you guys :D I like helping any way I can with instructions and such ^^ and yes she is super blue! xD Not as blue as the pictures show her but she is still blue-ish in real life ^^.

Pickenprod

Those. are. incredible.

The Luna one is probably now my favourite custom, ever. And I'll definitely be looking into the dullcote when I get around to painting my projects!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal