collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The changeling queen (idea thread)  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: The changeling queen (idea thread)
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
Just a note, all G4 figures have solid legs so drilling isn't much of an issue...

Fashion styles actually have hollow legs. And given the shape of her head and how huge her eyes are, I've been contemplating using a fashion style, and just adding onto the legs.

Now that Princess Celestia is mentioned though, and I look at her toy again, Im thinking maybe she would be the easier choice..

Given how thin they make TCQ, Im thinking that to get something truly accurate, I would need to give the pony a tummy tuck. So no matter which way I look at it, Im in for one heck of a project. She would be a pretty drastic job just to mod the body.

Has anyone tried cutting up Celestia's body? Is anything other than the head and stomach hollow? I seem to recall this is not the case.. I would want a brushable, just because I like them best.. So Fabric winged Celestia would be getting those horrid wings ripped off.

If I could get my hands on a Princess Cadence toy, I bet she would work too since she has legs a little longer than normal G4 ponies.

So many ideas!

I know if I did her hair, I would do it in dollyhair, and just make it very tattered. One option, I guess, could be to sculpt her hair.. But I dislike sculpted hair.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
One of my patrons just requested a g3 version of her (I sculpt over the eyes to make them huge and look like g4-scale) and I knew as soon as I saw her on the show that she would want her. I think I will chop off her lower legs and completely resculpt them with a wire core to hold her up. I was thinking fantasy film for the hair with holes burned into it. It won't be til mid-summer at the earliest though (backlogged with swaps and commissions), so I won't be posting progress any time soon. I want to make one of the little changelings too, that should be interesting.

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
Just a note, all G4 figures have solid legs so drilling isn't much of an issue...

Fashion styles actually have hollow legs. And given the shape of her head and how huge her eyes are, I've been contemplating using a fashion style, and just adding onto the legs.

Now that Princess Celestia is mentioned though, and I look at her toy again, Im thinking maybe she would be the easier choice..

Given how thin they make TCQ, Im thinking that to get something truly accurate, I would need to give the pony a tummy tuck. So no matter which way I look at it, Im in for one heck of a project. She would be a pretty drastic job just to mod the body.

Has anyone tried cutting up Celestia's body? Is anything other than the head and stomach hollow? I seem to recall this is not the case.. I would want a brushable, just because I like them best.. So Fabric winged Celestia would be getting those horrid wings ripped off.

If I could get my hands on a Princess Cadence toy, I bet she would work too since she has legs a little longer than normal G4 ponies.

So many ideas!

I know if I did her hair, I would do it in dollyhair, and just make it very tattered. One option, I guess, could be to sculpt her hair.. But I dislike sculpted hair.

Celestia's body is completely solid (at least the one with the sculpted hair and translucent wings).
I found this out the hard way when tearing off her evil sculpted hair.
I had planned to make her brushable but now I'm just like...eh.

I can't wait to see some Queen Chrysalis customs.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »
I was thinking fantasy film for the hair with holes burned into it.

Would you just glue on solid sheets of it? Im trying to think of how it could be used or hair, but Im not having many good ideas. It's a product i am not terribly familliar with yet.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
I was going to use layers. It makes sense in my head, but I can't explain it. Lol, I am SUCH a huge help, aren't I? I am expecting to experiment on a small scale (and fail a few times) first. I will post when I do it, but like I said, it will be a while. Did you see my Nightmare Moon? I used a very unconventional method there and I loved it. It was fabric, but I think it's similar to using the fantasy film, you have to achieve the effect with flat shapes.

http://sallicostumer.deviantart.com/#/d4sr0f4

(there are more views of her in my DA gallery)

Offline babyblueducky

• That's Quacktastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • That's quack-tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
the breezies would be great to use for the queens minions. both small and bugish. they would be cute.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
I have a molded-hair Celestia that I have yet to use for anything and I /REALLY/ want to make a Queen Chrysalis out of her.

My only two concerns are drilling the holes (not sure how to go about doing that) and her wings.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
I was going to use layers. It makes sense in my head, but I can't explain it. Lol, I am SUCH a huge help, aren't I? I am expecting to experiment on a small scale (and fail a few times) first. I will post when I do it, but like I said, it will be a while. Did you see my Nightmare Moon? I used a very unconventional method there and I loved it. It was fabric, but I think it's similar to using the fantasy film, you have to achieve the effect with flat shapes.

http://sallicostumer.deviantart.com/#/d4sr0f4

(there are more views of her in my DA gallery)

Oooh. I remember her, Salli. I thought her hair worked really well for the character. Generally I prefer ponies with pony hair, but I thought that for Nightmare Moon, this really worked out beautifully!

Post Merge: April 23, 2012, 03:13:45 PM

I have a molded-hair Celestia that I have yet to use for anything and I /REALLY/ want to make a Queen Chrysalis out of her.

My only two concerns are drilling the holes (not sure how to go about doing that) and her wings.

I've been thinking about the wings.. And I think that when I do mine, I will probably just cut them off (assuming I use this mold). Chrysalis has a sort of green plating on her back, like chitin I think.. And I will just use apoxie to make that. And the wings, I will probably do out of fantasy film and wire, and it would be super easy to just anchor the wire in the apoxie then.

I know someone has posted a pony that they made wings for with resin.. I cannot remember who.. But it looked like broken shards of glass. I think that look could also work really well. I just have no idea how to work with resin.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:13:45 PM by Maniah »

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »

I've been thinking about the wings.. And I think that when I do mine, I will probably just cut them off (assuming I use this mold). Chrysalis has a sort of green plating on her back, like chitin I think.. And I will just use apoxie to make that. And the wings, I will probably do out of fantasy film and wire, and it would be super easy to just anchor the wire in the apoxie then.

I know someone has posted a pony that they made wings for with resin.. I cannot remember who.. But it looked like broken shards of glass. I think that look could also work really well. I just have no idea how to work with resin.

I'd forgotten about Fantasy Film. o:  That's certainly an idea.
I was just planning on sculpting them out of clay, but then they wouldn't be transparent.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

cesprins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
I think I may try my hand at sculpting her scale to the other brushables. I don't usually do custom ponies but I'd like to try. I think I could get a good effect that is very sturdy despite the holes if I then make a mold and cast her in plastic. I'd still like to root her hair though.

Does anyone have any experience or know any general tutorials that deal with creating a sculpt, casting, and creating rooting holes for original sculpture/plastic casts? Both hard and bendy plastics? I suppose in essence what I'd like to try doing is creating a toy prototype. haha!

Offline Starie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
I really want to try to make her too but any idea how to drill through the legs? Would any standard drill work?

Also for the wings I was going to use Liquid fimo, chalk pastels, mika dust and wire since I have no clue where to find fantasy film O:

any ideas how to slim down celestia's stomach too?

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
That would be the amazing Trillion: http://trillions.deviantart.com/#/d39t7xb
She has used resin on more than one occassion with outstanding success :)
~Princess Of Darkness~

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
Well I'm also gonna accept the "Queen challenge" because I just got commissioned for one :) . I got so excited for it that I started working on it a couple hours ago (it's 2AM now! XD ). I did some brainstorming on how to approach the legs, and came up with the closest thing to a structure with holes: swiss cheese! :lmao:

So here's a WIP pic of my first hoof done with "swiss cheese" holes done with a Dremel tool :) hope this is of help for you all!

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
Dee_Kary, is that a Celestia mold with brushable or non brushable hair?

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »
It's the one with non-brushable hair :) . It has longer legs and a smaller torso, so it's better for the Queen.

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal