collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Did you watch the animated My Little Pony TV shows/movies of the 1980's-2010's?  Did it have an influence of any kind on your collecting?  

Yes, watched show, it encouraged my collecting
Yes, watched show, but it didn't encourage collecting as you liked the toys more
No, didn't watch show, so it encouraged collecting
No, didn't watch show, didn't encourage collecting as you liked the toys
Completely different answer which I will reply to below!

Author Topic: Did TV influence your collecting?  (Read 7282 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Did TV influence your collecting?
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
Did you watch the animated My Little Pony TV shows/movies of the 1980's-2010's?  Did it have an influence of any kind on your collecting? 
Consider "collecting" to be when you made the decision to worry about value, condition, and display potential...  regardless of age.
Please explain more in a reply if you have a different answer than the four I came up with! :)

A)Yes, watched show, it encouraged my collecting
B)Yes, watched show, but it didn't encourage collecting as you liked the toys more
C)No, didn't watch show, so it encouraged collecting
D)No, didn't watch show, didn't encourage collecting as you liked the toys
E)Completely different answer which I will reply to below!

I'm probably a "B".  I didn't have steady access to TV so I didn't usually see the show.  To compound this, it started as I was leaving for preschool/kindergarten.  It was one of the few shows I was allowed to watch when we DID own a TV (30% of the time), as my reading time dropped significantly with a TV in the house.  :D 

And you?
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Did TV influence your collecting?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
I am a "no didnt watch the show" person - I watched the movie as often as I could convince my dad to hire it from the video rental shop...but that was obviously after I had the ponies....

I just loved ponies since the day my mum and dad brought the first one home...if I am honest even to this day the whole MLP thing is about the toys for me and the shows whether G1 or G4 are just a nice little addition but something I could live without if they had never been made.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
I saw the G3 movies and the MLP Tales TV series but my collecting really hasn't taken off from that, though I guess my collection might expand with the release of the Nightmare Moon toy.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
I believe joining here actually started my collecting though it was because of FiM that I looked for pony boards since none of the ones I was on was a place I could talk about how awesome it was and ended up here.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
I am a (D) because "no I didn't watch the original".  I was a little to old at that point :blush: 

Anyways about 4 or 5 years ago I purchased a Snuzzle at a second-hand shop(loved her colors).  I love toys so it felt natural to want more!

And then..............the rest is history! 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
I loved the old show, but it did not affect my collecting!

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
I believe joining here actually started my collecting though it was because of FiM that I looked for pony boards since none of the ones I was on was a place I could talk about how awesome it was and ended up here.
I have to say this!
I watched FiM, but I really wasn't into collecting. I just had a few ponies (by few I mean 2). Once I joined here I started collecting more and more ponies.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
Hrm...tricky one for me to answer.  I answered "Yes in influenced my collection" because in my early teens when I picked up collecting again it was a huge influence, especially with certain ponied.

But honestly when I was a tiny tot, I don't remember getting that many ponies - my parents got me what they liked.  (Like my dad got me quite a few of the Brother ponies!)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »
I started "collecting" (childhood collection) ponies long before I ever saw the show - and even after I knew it existed, I never got to see more than maybe four or five episodes (mostly rented from the video store).  We only had four TV channels; my parents were not hip on using it as a babysitter.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
I was able to watch the 80's show as a little girl though I was older around 7-8. I did think it influenced my collecting habits. That is why I fell in love with Surprise. I bought alot of ponies after that.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
I watched the G1 show as a child, but it never influenced what toys I would get, considering that they didn't have pony toys during 1994-96.

In fact, I didn't know pony toys existed until I was 12 or 13, which was when I began collecting them. Had there been toys when I was a girl, I definitely would have wanted some!

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
I am an A... if it weren't for MLP:FiM, I wouldn't be here today. I loved the show, which encouraged me into customizing, and then I discovered there were beautiful ponies I DIDN'T want to customize, which made me a collector too :D

As a child, I had ponies but I didn't watch the shows... I gave my childhood ponies away a while ago, though, and would not have gotten back into ponies without the show. xP
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
I would collect no matter if there would be a tv show or not.
The shows do influence me though. Both positive and negative.
For example, when Thistle Whistle was first shown i loved her. But because of her annoying personality in the show i never got her. Same thing with Trixie. Her design is nice but her show personality is so obnoxious. That's why i don't care that much about getting her either.

While on the other hand, because of the show i wouldn't mind getting several versions of Rarity. Something i would never care for if there was no personality attached to her.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
I guess I'm an A, although it's a tricky question to answer.  My first experience of ponies was seeing them being sold off in a toy shop at the end of the G1 line, I had a few which I adored.  About six months after that, I got my first video of the MLP & Friends series and fell in love with the show as well.

Later in my childhood, around 1996-7, they started showing repeats of both the original series and Tales on Sky One and I was addicted to it, especially Tales.  Ponies were long gone from the shops by this point though so it didn't influence my pony buying, I just used to pretend the ponies I did have were the characters I watched on TV and act out the stories that way.

When I started buying ponies at toy fairs and car boot sales in 1998 (aged just 7, but that's really when I started "collecting" properly), it was definitely the TV characters I wanted.  I'd squeal out loud when I found one as I'd waited years to be able to act out the stories "properly" with the correct ponies.

So yes, I love the toys and the TV series equally.  The TV show certainly held my interest throughout my later childhood, inspired my fanfiction series, and made me keep searching at car boot sales for my favourite characters.  I probably would have kept on collecting without it, but not to the same extent.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »
I wasn't even aware there were pony shows and moves until i started collecting a few years ago, so absolutely a D :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal