collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did I price her too high?...  (Read 1022 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Did I price her too high?...
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
I'm trying to sell a custom Posey but I'm concerned that I may have priced her too high...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110834350201?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I'm not talking about the Buy it Now price (which I know is outrageous, but the option to put it on there was free  :P ), I mean the regular bidding price.  It's obvious that I'm an amateur, and Posey is basically... a wingless Fluttershy.  Oddly enough though, I really don't want to keep her at all.  Should I lower the price?  If so, what to?

Offline JessicaAFM

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ponies
Re: Did I price her too high?...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
Not sure on pricing as I haven't bought any customs but she sure is cute. I think you did great.
~Jessica~ My Ponies

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to sd_dreamcrystal for my adoptable.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »
Thanks.  :blush:   I've been studying up on how to do better though, so hopefully my next ones will look nicer.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
To be honest, and I don't mean this disrespectfully, but yes I think she's priced too high. You did a great job for an early custom, but I think you know that the quality of work is not as high as some other artists who would price a G4 custom only a few dollars higher than what you are asking.

Plus, G4 versions of G1 ponies only sometimes sell well. They're more likely to sell as commissions for G1 lovers rather than people buying ready made ones. So a lower price might be more encouraging.

The first custom I sold was for $15. I've seen people list customs on ebay starting as low as 99c. I don't really have a price suggestion, per se, but I'd say think about the lowest price you could possibly be content with and start from there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:27:02 PM by NoDivision »

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
straight out i'm gonna say yes, the price is too high. customs are getting harder and harder to sell at decent prices. and i'm talking about customs by people who have been doing them for years. many are selling at $25 and they lines are thinner, the paint has less brush strokes and the hair has been styled.

i'm not saying any of this to be rude or mean, but the reality is she's just not worth $25. start lower and offer this one for trade rather than sale. you need time and practice and i promise it gets better. you definately have the talent, just need practice.

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
For $30 (starting price plus shipping), someone who really wants a G1-G4 custom can commission someone to do it. I charge just a bit more for my commissions and I've done plenty of G1-G4, people can look at my previous work and get a feeling for what they can expect. So yes, I'd say she's priced way too high.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
She's very cute, but when I places ponies up for sale, I try to take everything into consideration.

If you are asking $25 for the starting price, then she needs to be presented like she's worth at least that.  Photos are very important, especially close ups of detail work to show off the amount of time and attention she's been given.  Also, hair styling always adds appeal to customs.  :)  I also try to photograph my ponies on a solid color background, to add emphasis to the pony and help her (or his) colors "pop".

All in all, she's a lovely pony, especially for a beginner!  :)  I think she would be good to start around $10 or so personally.

Best of luck!
Cloudie :lovey:

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
All righty, thanks for your honesty everyone!  I'll go lower the price right now!  :biggrin:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I feel that selling customs on eBay is hard to do and always has been. The current MLP cartoon gives us a wider audience but this audience only wants g4 ponies from the show. Posey doesn't exist on the show so they don't want her. Other than that it's just a pony with a very plain design. Even ponies with elaborate designs are hard to sell. When I create customs, I rarely create what I like. I consider what will sell. By pandering to fan bases I manage to sell more customs at higher prices. Also, by advertising specifically to a fan base, via my tumblr, I have a better selling target. If I sell just on ebay, I am lucky if I catch someone who wants to buy a custom pony. You really have to know what your looking for to find custom ponies on eBay.

I would suggest, if you intend to customize for money, to consider thoughtfully every design. Your design is cute, but it only appeals to a small target audience. I don't say customize for profit, simply because the amount of money you can make vs. time and materials put in just doesn't even compare to minimum wage. At best, you make enough money to feed your hobby and maybe buy yourself a treat now and again..

Don't get disheartened. And first time customs don't always have to sell for little. My first one sold for $25 but my second one sold for $10. Since then I took a long break from the hobby and am just getting back into it. The market doesn't seem to have changed :)

I think I'm rambling now so I will shush.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I don't intend for this to be a debate and sorry for going OT here but this, REALLY???
When I create customs, I rarely create what I like. I consider what will sell.

I think I speak for most of us here when I say that I am the complete opposite. For commissions I don't care if I like the design or not, but for personal projects I make things I LIKE. Why else would I be doing this? If it's not fun, if I don't like it, WHY DO IT??? If it sells, fine. If not, well at least I'll have a pony I like on my shelf.

Just my two cents.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
Thanks, Maniah.  That was very reassuring.  After studying Posey and some of my other customs, I was beginning to think that I would never be successful at selling simply because I suck at making customs...  I always thought the custom business was better than that...

Also, fans of G4 seem to like Lauren Faust's original characters as well.  Or at least Surprise.  I've seen Equestria Daily advertise a Surprise custom before, and they recently discussed an "Ask Surprise" blog.  Still, Posey looks too much like Fluttershy, but she's just an earth pony, which most Bronies seem to find inferior.

For commissions I don't care if I like the design or not, but for personal projects I make things I LIKE.

I agree, but for some reason, I didn't like Posey as much as I thought when I finished with her.  Kinda wish I had gone for Bow Tie instead.  Oh well, that's a project for another day. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:31:49 PM by ApertureScience »

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
Let me clarify since I started rambling. "I rarely create what I like" meaning I don't make things that I find appealing on a personal level. I like everything I create. But I create for others and not for just myself if that makes sense. I like seeing a friends face light up with delight when I make a pony they like. For me, that is part of the reward of customizing. I love seeing people happy. This is also one of the things I love about making wedding cakes. I love to make something that someone will love. And I know that what I love and what others love are very different. I don't collect ponies, so when I customize it just makes sense for me personally to work this way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal