collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

which do you prefer to seal a custom (or FBR) with, and why?

Testor's Dullcoat/glossy (or other brands of the same type)
17 (35.4%)
Mod Podge
13 (27.1%)
some other brush on gloop or spray that i havent thought of
6 (12.5%)
a jar of almonds
6 (12.5%)
meat
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 07, 2012, 09:57:30 AM

Author Topic: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!  (Read 12440 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Sealer vs. Mod Podge- FIGHT!
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
On the flip side, I cannot find Testors Dullcote here anywhere.

BC, I buy mine at Michaels (in the hobby isle) and now at Walmart - it's not located with the craft supplies but in the toy isle with the models.
I find Testors Dullcote in the model aisle of Hobby Lobby. I never found it in our Michaels, though I have not been in Michaels forever now. As for walmart, it could be a hit or miss. One of our walmarts doesn't even have a model section as far as I know, but I will have to look again since it is closer than hobby lobby ;) That's like a few other supplies I hear people say they get from walmart but I never find them XD Either way, worth a shot looking there for things :D
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
Testors dullcoat: Michaels by the models, Walmart by models or sometimes automotive, Hobby Lobby by other sprays and paints, True Value by other sprays (sometimes) practically all hobby/gaming stores (where miniatures and paints can be found) will almost always have it. Armory matte topcoat works about the same if they have that instead (typically has the characters from Dork Tower on the can) right now im using a can of Armory cause the last can of Testors i picked up was a little glossier than id like (was the last one with half the label gone so i took a chance.)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
I know my local Michaels doesn't carry it and neither does the closest Wal-Mart (they are terrible, I don't know why we shop there) but the other Wal-Mart across town might have it. They have a better art section anyway and still sell fabric and whatnot, which they don't have at the one up the road. No Hobby Lobby here either.

I do love the results of Testors though, I really need to track it down!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:51 AM »
 Glad I found this thread.
 I picked up a spray can of Mod Podge a short time ago and was going to use it on my next customs, and seal some of my others (it's a big risk but aside from my blindbags none of my customs are sealed). Sounds like I need to get some Dullcote.
 The sealer I use on my blind bags and other miniatures is something I got from CustomPony.com ages ago called "scratch resistant finish". Not sure what it is but it can be thinned with water brushed on, and it works pretty good (the brush on part plus limited quality is why I haven't used it on my larger ones).

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 03:54:05 AM »
I use Mod Podge.
It's all I can buy over here.

Testors and the like don't exist in my little corner of the world and I've yet to find a spray sealant that isn't tacky when it 'dries'.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 06:19:54 AM »
I know my local Michaels doesn't carry it and neither does the closest Wal-Mart (they are terrible, I don't know why we shop there) but the other Wal-Mart across town might have it. They have a better art section anyway and still sell fabric and whatnot, which they don't have at the one up the road. No Hobby Lobby here either.

I do love the results of Testors though, I really need to track it down!
Lol that's how our walmarts are here, we have a smaller one that doesn't even have a fabric department and a bigger one that still has it's fabric department.. So I say give your guy's larger one a try.

Also guys you can order Testors Dullcote online, though the Testors website does add a little note on being unable to ship the Solvent based products outside the US
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
I also use Mr. Super Clear. But I gifted all my customs that I used it on. I didn't seal my own ponies, since I was too lazy (gasp!).
XD it was all I had on hand, and I didn't want to buy anything else. Went on nicely though...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
I started out using Modge Podge, but as other's said, it's not waterproof, and it made hair styling a pain.  I've been using Testor's for a few years now and I love it.  It dries to pretty much a true matte, so it doesn't effect my paint colors and it's nearly waterproof.  :D  For anything that I have to touch up, or anytime I do just a simple symbol without a FBR, I use a Liquitex sealant.  It's very nice, but TDC is my  go to sealer.  I also use Triple Thick for eyes and anything I want shiney or "wet."  I've since gave my MP to my sis for her puzzles.  I didn't like the way the hair would stick to it when i styled hair, and I've had a couple of ponies go sticky from it.  :(
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
For those looking for Dullcote, I just picked up a can at Topeka KS's largest Walmart. It looks like they're starting to carry model kits again. It says "spray lacquer" on the front, but on the cap label it says Dullcote.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
For anyone looking for Dullcote, this is what the can looks like now.  They changed the label a while back. 

Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Naamah

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
As others have said, Michaels keeps it with the other Testors paints, in models.

I use Dullcote mostly, because Mod Podge never seems to dry completely, and always feels slightly sticky.  If I don't want to use a brush-on sealer, I use Liquitex Acrylic Medium/Sealer in whatever finish I need.  Glossy dries harder, the duller finishes dry slightly grabby, so I water them down and apply them in two thin coats, which seems to solve the problem.

Overall, I've found Mod Podge and other brushable matte finishes to be great for stuff like paper and cloth crafts, and not so much with the ponies.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
i use DuraCoat's polyurethane varnish - it's inexpensive, dries in about 2 hours, comes in matte, satin, and glossy, and doesn't get tacky or rough. The trick is to be careful when applying it - use thin coats. If its too thick it will cause art pens' ink to run a little. But using it I've successfully preserved everything from paint to ink pens to Sharpie signatures.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »
I have always used ModPodge, but after reading this I am going to have to track down some Testors Dullcote....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal