collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ok. So I'm prob gonna age myself 10 years for asking this...  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Ok. So I'm prob gonna age myself 10 years for asking this...
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
But...what, exactly, is..."cosplay"?  Is it just wearing costumes and pretending to be the character you are dressed up as? Is it for ADULTS out of the trick-or-treating age group? I really don't get it...do you do it alone? Or is it something you get involved in with groups of others who dress up?
I have to admit, I think normal is boring, and I definitely gravitate toward more unique and quirky spirits - but this whole cosplay thing has me scratchin' my head.
And I mean no disrespect to anyone on here who does this...but inquiring minds want to know. It's just if I was in my room dressed up as Sora or Amidala, and someone walked in, they'd be checkin' for where I'm hiding my meds...just sayin'....

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ok. So I'm prob gonna age myself 10 years for asking this...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
Cosplay is dressing up as a specific character, especially ones from popular media like animes, comics, cartoons or movies. For example dressing up as a witch would be a costume, but dressing up as Kiki the witch girl from Kiki's Delivery Service that would be cosplay.

It's often notable for the amount of effort put into creating the outfits, too, but that does not necessarily mean you HAVE to put a ton of work into it. It's just not something you go and buy at a halloween store usually lol.

ETA: and it's usually mstly just done for cons/big get-togethers of some sort, not just something people do randomly, although some do I suppose.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

gargoylekitty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
It depends, some say its just dressing up as a character, others insist that its only true cosplay if you also act like the character while dressed up. It's done by people of all ages, often at conventions(anime, sci-fi, comic, and so on-types), though sometimes also in photoshoot form or with groups/meet-ups.

Mostly, it's just a fun way to show love for a character or fandom(if dressing as a character who's not your favorite but your appearance is best suited for), meet other fans, and show off your costuming skills.

Offline Mad-March

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Haha, that's a completely legitimate question, cosplaying is just that, dressing up as a character, the term is more popular with people who like anime/manga and go to conventions. It's for all ages, cosplaying is done all year round and usually(ideally) cosplays are more high quality than once-a-year halloween costumes. Many cosplayers go to great lengths and take great pride in making their costume as accurate to the character as they can. Most people go to anime conventions to cosplay, where they meet other people who like the same series/character. I usually do group cosplays, in which my friends and I dress up as different characters from a series and all hang out at a convention together, its a lot more fun that way!
Whether someone thinks you're crazy or not depends on them, my parents are used to my wacky shenanigans by now and here at college no one gives me a second glance if I put a crazy wig on, but it really doesn't matter what other people think, am I right? You're not hurting anyone, cosplaying may be a bit of an uncommon hobby but that's no reason that anyone would want to lock you up in the wackyshack XD

cesprins

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
They're costumes worn at conventions for anime, games, or comics. You dress up like your favorite character, and meet other people with similar interests. It can be really casual, and it can be very complex and intricate

There's a whole community around it that is focused on craft, photography, and "doing the character justice". There's always costume contests at any convention you go it, and usually cash prize of some sort. There's also the appeal of internet stardom, if enough people take pictures of you and think you're attractive/accurate as said character and did a good job with the costume's craft.

It's one of the main appeals of going to convention besides the events: see all the crazy cosplayers wandering around!

toralei

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
As people have said: it's usually something done for conventions or photoshoots. I have friends that cosplay... most of the time, staying in character isn't a huge part of it. Especially if you're going as somebody that might be evil, lol. There's a lot of hardwork put into it! Here are some examples (none of the photos are mine):

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »
My friends who do really serious cosplay are seamstresses and they look really good in the clothes they make. When they attend a con, they get particularly happy when people stop them in the hall and take their photos. It's like a measure of how good you are at cosplaying if strangers want to photograph you lol.

Me, I can't sew worth beans. When I cosplay, it's just for fun. And to see if people can figure out who I am. XD (My fave cosplay is my Mighty Max, from a 90's cartoon. But mostly people ask if I'm Mario... -.- )
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
Do not feel bad, I had to ask when I started in ponies too cause I was just as clueless.  Still some stuff I have to ask about.  I do have a co-worker who does Star Wars and the best Yoda I have ever heard.  He can not play him though cause he is 6' 4".
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
And I mean no disrespect to anyone on here who does this...but inquiring minds want to know. It's just if I was in my room dressed up as Sora or Amidala, and someone walked in, they'd be checkin' for where I'm hiding my meds...just sayin'....

Not really feelin' the insinuation that people who cosplay should be on medication...and I don't even do it myself. :/ Wikipedia has a huge article dedicated to cosplay and what it's all about.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
Wow!! Love the pics!!

Lon-san

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
Unless you go to a lot of Halloween parties or are an actor, there's not really a lot of opportunity for an adult to wear a really awsome costume and have it seen by a lot of people. I think that might be part of why people dig cosplay. It kind of fills that gap.

Those photos are AWSOME, Toralei. They all look good but I really admire the people dresses as soot sprites and how they went to the trouble of making oversized sugar candy and a piece of coat. :D

I'm thinking of dressing up as Mrs. Cake this year for a local thing, actually. I keep looking at the foam balls in the dollar stores and wondering which size would work as a base for those huge pink pearls she wears. If the other members of the local pony group go through with their ideas, I could be part of a cosplay group! :D

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
Don't feel bad, Queen Eclipsia.  I didn't know what cosplay was until I came here either.  toralei, those are some great pics you posted. 

FlyingPonyMonster

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:09:31 AM »
I think cosplau is cute but would never have confidence to do it or ability to make a half decent costume!

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »
I've been cosplaying for 10 years now. :3 It's one of my favorite hobbies. I have friends who have been into it much longer than I have.

Basically for me, and for people who are older who are into this (also along the lines of sci-fi / fantasy / and replication costuming) it's all about recreating the costume of a character you are fond of. If not the character, but the costume itself. It's also about making the costume really well, putting a lot of time into it, as well as creating props and what not. There's also a lot of people who make and design original costumes too.

People don't wear them in their bedroom, or in their house. Sit there all day in the costume and pretend to be the character. I'm sure there ARE people like this, but 99.9% of the cosplayers I've encountered make costumes for conventions and other such events exclusively.

Another big aspect is competing with said costume during what's called cosplay contests or masquerades. Basically, you'll have your costume judged by a panel of judges for how well it's made and how accurate it is to your character. Your skill level also plays a part. I wouldn't compete against someone who has made their first costume because I have a lot more experience. Most are set up fairly in this way.  Then you go on stage and either do a performance (otherwise known as a skit) or do a walk-on (just walk on stage, pose a few times for the camera) and then go offstage. After that awards are presented.

I never get in character. Barely even for photos. The only time I do is if I'm on stage for a skit... which is rare. XD

I've been running cosplay competitions (masquerades) at various conventions for 5 years too! :D I think I find it more rewarding to appreciate other people's hard work and see them win than competing myself.

My problem is that I always wait till the last minute to make my costumes and they end up rushed and not polished... but here's some of mine!

(I'm the one in blue)

(one of my "i made this in 3 days" costumes lol)

A few when I was heavier. I've lost about 50lbs since then. XD

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Ok. So I\'m prob gonna age myself 10 years for asking this...
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »

Not really feelin' the insinuation that people who cosplay should be on medication...and I don't even do it myself. :/ Wikipedia has a huge article dedicated to cosplay and what it's all about.

I don't think that's what Queen Eclipsia was saying at all, just that for her personality and people who know her - it's not something that would "fit" at first glance.  I'm sure she meant no disrespect.

Post Merge: March 06, 2012, 06:52:44 AM

P.S.  *LOVE* The Rinoa and Yuna!  Rinoa is totally my fav. FF character!  And that dress of Yuna's is gorgeous!  How long did that take?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:52:44 AM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal