collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...  (Read 10775 times)

Offline Cwk123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
"Bronies"documentary on Netflix...
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
I haven't watched it but just saw it browsing!

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Seriously?!  What's it called?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
Seriously?!  What's it called?
It's called Bronies.

It's... pretty cringeworthy. Even as someone whom embraces being a brony/pony fan I got about 20 minutes in before I had to throw in the towel. I'm amazed even with John DeLancie and Tara Strong in on it and a huge Kickstarter campaign (run by bronies iirc) it still managed to be embarrassing.

Duster reference]

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
I just watched it and I really, really liked it. :D

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
I just can't watch it. :/ I don't like extra attention on pony collectors of any kind. :lookround:

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
I watched it with my non pony liking brother. Very embarrassing to keep having to say I wasn't into one aspect or another of the Brony fandom xD I'm truly a collector through and through!

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
I had a gathering here with my friends last night and after a few drinks they decided that they needed to hold an intervention with me about my ponies and tried to make me sit and watch it. After trying to explain to them that I was not a brony and I'm not into the new generation stuff (and them not getting the difference) I simply said I would rather be having fun and hanging out with you guys so I managed to bypass the viewing.
I will probably watch it tomorrow out of sheer curiousity.  :P

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
Its not bad at all. It just shows a few different male collectors - one is a young teen, one a southerner and one an Autistic guy in England. Its narriated by the voice of discord and has Lauren Faust in it as well.

its nothing like the show on TLC with odd obsessions.

Then again, Im not a male nor am I a pegasister. I consider myself a collector and G1 will always be my fav

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline duckie

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »
I watched it and I'm neither here nor there on it. On the one hand I think it's nice that it gives people something to aspire to and feel like they are a part of something. And on the other hand I found it a bit OTT. I think there's too much drama over just liking the show? Like, if they just said they liked it no one would find it a big deal. But because they keep talking about how they're misunderstood and ostracised for it, it makes them moreso.
 IDK. It's a cartoon and they're toys, if you like them you like them and that's all good :)

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »
I watched it last night. It sorta softened me up on how I feel about bronies. I love the idea of sweet boys/men just wanting to be a part of something good and kind, and it just happens to be a girls cartoon that spoke to them.

Some of the boys in the show were too sweet and cute, they are invited to play ponies with me any time that they want.  ^.^ I mean, why can't straight guys be into something that is not about fighting and violence for once?

I noticed a lot of them were saying that they love MLP for the same reasons that I have loved MLP has a child (and why I still love it now). It's an escape and it makes you feel happy in this world of stress and bad stuff. I can relate to that for sure.

However I think it was a little one sided, they didn't talk much about why some bronies have such a bad reputation. I perfer not to think about that side of the fandom because I find it gross and offensive to my sweet, innocent childhood (that almost feels like an invasion)

The sweethearts they showed are welcome, as far as I'm concerned.  :lovey:

oh and PS.. if we want to go all pony nerd G2 did not start with the "My Little Pony Tales" cartoon, that is still G1.  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:41:21 AM by sweetiebabyfizzy »

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
I watched it and was a little bummed by the beginning where they referred to tales as being g2, and acting like g3 was the worst thing ever! I understand that some don't like g3.5 (myself included) but to hate on any of the previous generations and then complain that they themselves are picked on? pfffsssttt! Although I really really don't like g3.5s I am not going to bash on them or anyone else who likes them, if you're gonna love and tolerate, start with your pony-kin. *steps off soap box*

That being said it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I try to stay pretty open minded to everything though so even if I don't agree or like something I try to do my best to appreciate those who do.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
I watched it last night. It sorta softened me up on how I feel about bronies. I love the idea of sweet boys/men just wanting to be a part of something good and kind, and it just happens to be a girls cartoon that spoke to them.

Some of the boys in the show were too sweet and cute, they are invited to play ponies with me any time that they want.  ^.^ I mean, why can't straight guys be into something that is not about fighting and violence for once?

I noticed a lot of them were saying that they love MLP for the same reasons that I have loved MLP has a child (and why I still love it now). It's an escape and it makes you feel happy in this world of stress and bad stuff. I can relate to that for sure.

However I think it was a little one sided, they didn't talk much about why some bronies have such a bad reputation. I perfer not to think about that side of the fandom because I find it gross and offensive to my sweet, innocent childhood (that almost feels like an invasion)

The sweethearts they showed are welcome, as far as I'm concerned.  :lovey:

oh and PS.. if we want to go all pony nerd G2 did not start with the "My Little Pony Tales" cartoon, that is still G1.  :P

As a brony I would like to thank you for getting something possitive from an apparrently flawed documentary.  The kind of "good" brony you described is the kind that I always try to be, and I agree with you about the "bad" bronies, and try to avoid that side of the fandom as best as I can.  I would be one of the first in my fandom to point out exactly what's wrong with it, and would like to correct about the fandom if I had more power in it, but it is still saddening when we are all represented by the bad ones, to see a post like yours is very refreshing.  So thank you, it actually means a lot. :)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
I watched it the other night and was extremely pleased to see KarRedRoses in the credits <3

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: &quot;Bronies&quot;documentary on Netflix...
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
Eh, kinda on the fence about it, mainly for its underrepresentation of the female fandom. I know girls are 'expected' to be fans of MLP, but I still think it's sad they didn't have at least one girl who didn't play love interest in the documentary. Ah well. Most of the people seemed to be nice Bronies, so I'm not complaining too much. It's just not a thing I'd watch more than once.

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
As a brony I would like to thank you for getting something possitive from an apparrently flawed documentary.  The kind of "good" brony you described is the kind that I always try to be, and I agree with you about the "bad" bronies, and try to avoid that side of the fandom as best as I can.  I would be one of the first in my fandom to point out exactly what's wrong with it, and would like to correct about the fandom if I had more power in it, but it is still saddening when we are all represented by the bad ones, to see a post like yours is very refreshing.  So thank you, it actually means a lot.

Well your most welcome. After all, all 4 generations has been about friendship in one way or another. Collecting ponies is fun and an enjoyable hobby and it's fun to meet all different types of people who enjoy the same type of "escape" from reality as I do.  :happy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal