collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 932
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: The Future of ANTM After Cycle 2  (Read 4138 times)

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Future of ANTM After Cycle 2
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »
the concept of an open to all, mini challenge is awesome! and I agree, anonymous photos would steer people toward voting for the photo they think is done the best, rather than the artist or their friends....seems like it would be more of a fair race

all that could easily take place in the MH area...just like the current doll challange in the dollhouse that Vert is running ^_^
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:19:34 PM by jupiternwndrlnd »

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
While I can appreciate the sentiment behind anonymous photo entries, I personally am not so keen on the idea of posting my MH photos on the internet without a watermark.

I don't see anything wrong with adding a watermark if you so choose to.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
While I can appreciate the sentiment behind anonymous photo entries, I personally am not so keen on the idea of posting my MH photos on the internet without a watermark.

It would make it not anonymous.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »

It would make it not anonymous.

Well, that would be your decision to make.

On another note, I was thinking the winner of ANTM Cycle 2 could post the first challenge to get us started. And I think it would be a good idea for us to come up with a basic 'How It Works' list to be posted with each challenge so that everyone know the time limits, deadlines, what the winner of the poll is expected to do, what to do in the event of a tie, etc.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
I really like the idea of anonymous photos, I would feel a bit more comfortable entering in these if the names were not revealed outright :) I know some people probably do have 'signature' dolls or styles that will be like a telltale sign to their name, but not everyone will. And I can't see any harm in the anonymity anyway? If people can still add watermarks to their images if they wish to do so.

I would so try to join some of the individual competitions. I've got a precious Draculaura custom on the way that I know I'll want to take plenty of pictures of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »
I just want to enter again because I think it would be fun.  I've loved seeing all the photos and getting to offer prizes for it.  Also, I'd be more than willing to do more prizes for a future challenge.  *hint hint*  I have three girls I am almost done rehairing that I would love to do pictures of for a competition. 

As for anonymity I think it's a good idea as well, and if you want a watermark, use it.  If you are afraid of it giving you away, maybe there could be two competitions, one for those who want watermarks and names, and one for the others.  Best way to do it, I think....

Also, I would step in and do the running if I had time, but I'm so pressed right now with health issues and family stuff/drama that I don't have tons of time for it, so just shooting photos would be enough of a time consumption for me as it is. 

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
I've always thought it would be fun to do sort of a 'duel', too. Like "My Clawdeen challenges Ravie's Seamonster CAM to a photo-off!" Then a 3rd party picks a theme, we post our photos and people vote.

I appreciate the idea behind being anonymous and keeping it fair, but it would be really hard to, just because of people's dolls, clothes, styles and even cameras. I can usually pick out certain people even just by the way the photo itself looks.

Could there maybe be 2 categories? Novice and Veteran?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:30:23 AM by Salli »

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

Honestly, I think simple is best. At least at first. I don't want things to get overly complicated right from the start. That would then prompt the question - who is a novice and who is a veteran? I don't envision putting members into one of two groups going so well!

Anonymity is not foolproof, but on a subconscious level it will encourage everyone to focus more on the photo versus the photographer. Plus, it's fun! We typically have 100-150 votes per round. There is no possible way that 100-150 members would be able to accurately determine which photo belongs to who. Sure, the diehards might have it all figured out, but for the majority of members, it will be pretty anonymous. The anonymous angle is meant to liven things up, to make it fun. And if it's an absolute disaster after a few challenges, it could always be changed.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

Honestly, I think simple is best. At least at first. I don't want things to get overly complicated right from the start. That would then prompt the question - who is a novice and who is a veteran? I don't envision putting members into one of two groups going so well!
Forcing people into one or the other category would be a bad idea yes; however, letting people choose which category they're submitting their photo for themselves could work.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
I like simple. Simple is good!

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
Simple is always best!

complications can be added later if needs must.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm with Tuney on this one. I think simple is best. Everyone submits to one category, everyones pictures get posted, and no ones names go with the photos (unless you choose to watermark your own images, which is a personal choice.) If you can tell who a photo belongs to based on the model or the style, then just keep that to yourself. It's not that we're trying to insist on 100% total anonymity and the whole thing will be ruined if we can guess whose picture belongs to who. And it's not like you wil lbe penalized if we can tell you took the photo.  But it kind of levels the playing field for a lot of not-as-well-known people and also for a lot of voters who, as tuney said, can't all recognize styles and models as well as others can.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:25:30 PM by NoDivision »

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »
I think simple is best. I would love to compete in challenges. After the challenge is over would the photographers name be revealed?

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
I agree. Simple.

And if a true cycle 3 ever gets rolling, I'd be willing to co-host with someone, (or maybe a few people?). Maybe run the anonymous challenges for a few months, for practice, then we can start the next cycle next spring/summer, like keep it on the same timeline that we had for this time around...Just a thought, I don't know if that would work for anyone else, but just thought I'd throw it out there.  ^.^

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
I'm with Tuney on this one. I think simple is best. Everyone submits to one category, everyones pictures get posted, and no ones names go with the photos (unless you choose to watermark your own images, which is a personal choice.) If you can tell who a photo belongs to based on the model or the style, then just keep that to yourself. It's not that we're trying to insist on 100% total anonymity and the whole thing will be ruined if we can guess whose picture belongs to who. And it's not like you wil lbe penalized if we can tell you took the photo.  But it kind of levels the playing field for a lot of not-as-well-known people and also for a lot of voters who, as tuney said, can't all recognize styles and models as well as others can.

Thanks, you summed up my thoughts exactly!

Post Merge: October 30, 2012, 12:49:35 PM

I think simple is best. I would love to compete in challenges. After the challenge is over would the photographers name be revealed?

Yes, that was my original vision. Everyone deserves credit for their work when the voting is over! hehe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal