collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: D: mah poor pony!  (Read 337 times)

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
D: mah poor pony!
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:31:58 AM »
Never had this happen before, but something strange just happened. I bought gen3 mib last month and decided to open it now and upon my discovery, I gently tried to pull the plastic strip that is sown on the mane and the hair/tail completely came off! WUT?! Has that happened to anyone before? Also, I noticed that she was kind of oily when I took her out of the box. Could that be from the plastic breaking down?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:34:02 AM by Cron Sacchariferous »

girlyponce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: D: mah poor pony!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
Oh no! I've never heard of that happening before. That is tragic. Do you have photos of the damage?

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »
Never had the hair fall out.  Is she a divine shine? They had oily issues not long after they were released.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:35 AM »
That's horrible.  Maybe it's a factory error, like the mane wasn't secure but they put the strip on there anyway.  Sorry that happened to you.  Maybe you can find someone to reroot it for you.

• Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
Oh no! I've never heard of that happening before. That is tragic. Do you have photos of the damage?

Here is Apple Delight :(

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

girlyponce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
 :shocked: ....I don't understand. It has to be a factory error. Someone must have fallen asleep  >_< I'm sorry this happened!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »
I've heard of this happening.   

Is she one of the Family Dollar singles?  Those, and the Avon ponies, can have that happen to them. I think it has something to do with the glue they used to secure the hair.  Is the hair itself brittle, or is it just breaking off at the root?

Here's are a couple previous threads. It could help you know which other ones might be affected!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,313623.0.html
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,308431.0.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:19:18 AM by ashlyne »

• Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
It was disappointing reading those sad posts. :( It gave me a better understanding though. Thank you so much ashlyne for the links! So.. after my tragic event, I decided to do a little experiment and open 10 more of my mibs to see what would happen. Hair did not fall out but they were really oily. D: I don't think its safe for many of the 3rd generation ponies to be left in there casings, I don't believe it will help prolong life for them. They need to oxidize and get aired out, the more enclosed it is the more moist, causing oilyness.. Plastic unhappiness breakdown. I don't know if anyone else would like to try out the experiment, but I would like to see what other people find!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:36 AM »
I'm so sorry this is happening to you, and so many others!   I went into a panic when I first read about it and went straight to my collection.   Luckily none of mine were having issues, but I pretty much opened them when I got them and that may have helped.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
I know it's been a while since G3's have been in stores, but I would contact Hasbro customer service.  You never know - they may give you a coupon or a free pony or something.  Never hurts to try!

• Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
Oh here it is! I read this from a previous post by RainDrop:

"I had a G3 this happened with--she was the dollar store one with the apple symbol--Green Apple or something like that?  I agree with what others have said--some of the promotional ponies were probably just made with a batch of cheaper hair."

The hair that pulled out of her head was very thin so, perhaps it was made of cheap hairs?!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
Oh my gosh!  This seriously happened to my Green Apple last week!  I was putting her on the shelf, and I kind of wrap the manes around the side of the neck and down between their legs and when I was (gently!) pulling it down, about an inch of mane just popped right off in my hand!

My first reaction was to get all upset, but then I just kind of huffed in frustration and decided to add her to the bucket of ponies needing to be rehaired.  She is the only pony I've had that's had this problem.  I mean, I've had G1s lose entire plugs before, but with Green Apple it was like the hair someone just got shaved off - there was nothing binding it on the end that came from the neck.  Weird weird weird!

Edit to add: I open all of my ponies literally the day I bring them home, so my Green Apple had been exposed to the air since hmm... whenever she came out ('07?  '08?).  She has only been on display, has had her hair conditioned twice and brushed probably four times.  I think it's just poor quality hair that's been breaking down.  It *is* a bit thinner-feeling than the average MLP hair.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:10:10 AM by Katika »

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
oh my goodness. That's, insane!

I always always cut them gently. I really don't know what you can do! I would've offered you another at a good price had I had her. I have nearly every other G3! :( I'm so sorry!

• Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks for the support guys! (:

Katika- that's horrible! :( This is the first pony that I've experienced this with. I need to find someone that can rehair her for me now or learn how to rehair. :P

Post Merge: August 01, 2013, 10:14:39 AM

Hmm.. Im curious, does anyone know how to care for ponies that are breaking down like this? (oilyness) If I wash the outside surface, do I clean the inside too and scrub it with soap or some crazy chemicallyfied stuff?

Post Merge: August 01, 2013, 12:09:33 PM

I hate how all of my threads are merging errgg.. Anywho. So, Im still a little beat up about some of my 'mibbed'  ponies I took out of boxes/cards. This is making me want to get rid of most of my collection due to several finds of g3s today in the unhappiest conditions. :( Not to mention my further reading on how people where going through the same situation. Can someone from the previous threads please share what has happened to your ponies? How did you clean them? Is it contagious keeping broken down plastic with healthier dry plastic an issue?

Someone had mentioned last yr on how some of the gen3's are deteriorating a lot faster and too soon. It makes me wonder about the difference between the pvc's used and various compounds formed together that would cause that to happen so quickly. If you look at the gen1 line, they are outlasting g3s! VERY industrial strength. Whos to say about the current line..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:23:35 PM by Cron Sacchariferous »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
The forum only allows a bump every 24 hours - it prevents spamming in threads :) and saves us poor mods from having to merge posts!

Unfortunately as ashlyne linked to this is pretty common with this colour of hair on these ponies now - also the neon green and neon orange too but not as bad as its seen with this hot pink shade.

The break down is happening within each pony so they can not cross infect one another. However like plasticiser on G1s there is not truly any way to stop it. It does seem to partly be caused by the ponies being stored in an airless conditions - such as inside their bubbles for a long time. You need to uses something which cuts through grease/oil - I find eye make up remover pads are good - then pat the pony down with baby powder. This cleans her up and slows down the stickiness but you will have to retreat over time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal