collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hi! Older pony collector, new to the community  (Read 666 times)

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi! Older pony collector, new to the community
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
I'm not exactly good with intro posts, but I'll give it go.

I've been a My Little Pony fan since I was a kid in the '80s; my first toy I ever clearly remember getting is Baby Moondancer. Most of my original collection was sold at a moving sale (I was still a kid then and heartbroken) but I managed to save Baby Moondancer and a few other "special" ponies. Through my teen and adult years I've slowly acquired "new" ponies through yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores- until the last few months, where flea market season and the disturbing number of new area thrift shops has yielded a crazy amount of G1s (including some I originally had) which re-sparked my interest in ponies and more serious restoration attempts (given that most of what I get are basically discarded and some need TLC.) So here I am.

My current collection is small by collector's standards (a few dozen G1s) but growing, and generally favors characters from the show and original specials (though I'm usually not picky about what I can get.) In addition to G1s, I collect show accurate (or reasonably so) G4 characters, would collect G2s if I could find any, but don't actively collect G3s (nothing against them, but I can't really afford to, though I've ended up with several due to them being mixed into lots with G1s.) Anyway, that's about it for me- not sure how active of a poster I'll end up, due to general life craziness, but I wanted to join the community in order to become a better collector and restorer. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! Older pony collector, new to the community
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
Welcome to the Arena :wave:

I'm so glad you managed to save a few of your childhood ponies.  The ones I grew up with are the most important in my collection :lovey:

You will be amazed at how quickly your collection expands now that you are here!  :frolic:

Star Spark

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
Heh, thanks for the welcome!

I just hope my three surviving originals (BB Moondancer, Quackers and Pony Bride) are okay- I left them and some later acquisitions with my parents when I moved out, then they moved, and we haven't been able to find them. I'll be heading down at the end of the month to sort through my stuff again, and hopefully they'll turn up- I'm just worried they might be damaged, which would be a shame since I always took good care of BB Moondancer (and I literally just got her mother earlier this week, which is exciting because I always wanted Moondancer and this is my first mother/baby set.)

My collection has already expanded so much so quickly that I've run out of room here.  :redface: I've currently got ponies all along the built in shelf in the living room, and some current projects still in the bathroom. Had to add shelving to the list of future projects... 

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
Welcome to the arena :)

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »
Hi Star Spark, it's nice to meet you!  I grew up with G1s too and also had Baby Moondancer- love her!  Best of luck re-building your collection :)
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
Welcome to the Arena! :bunny:
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »
Welcome, nice to meet you! ^-^ I hope you can find those few remaining childhood ponies! I wish I still had some of mine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Star Spark

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
Thank you for the welcome and the luck! :happy: (I really love these pony emotes.)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Welcome!  I also have a special fondness for Baby Moondancer- I liked her even when I wasn't a kid anymore, she always just looked so sweet :D  (I kept her and baby Cotton Candy out on display even when I was too old for ponies, lol)

Star Spark

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what it is about her that makes her stand out from other babies (other than her being my first, but it also means a relative selected her out of the assortment to give to me)- I never even realized until years later that she'd been the star of the second TV special, too (I only saw the first when I was really young, and thought that adult Moondancer was the same character!)

By the way, I love your avatar!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »
Heh, thanks for the welcome!

I just hope my three surviving originals (BB Moondancer, Quackers and Pony Bride) are okay- I left them and some later acquisitions with my parents when I moved out, then they moved, and we haven't been able to find them. I'll be heading down at the end of the month to sort through my stuff again, and hopefully they'll turn up- I'm just worried they might be damaged, which would be a shame since I always took good care of BB Moondancer (and I literally just got her mother earlier this week, which is exciting because I always wanted Moondancer and this is my first mother/baby set.)

My collection has already expanded so much so quickly that I've run out of room here.  :redface: I've currently got ponies all along the built in shelf in the living room, and some current projects still in the bathroom. Had to add shelving to the list of future projects... 

I really hope your ponies show up and are in good condition. So long as they are somewhere dry they should be fine.  Lol, I bet you will be adding even more shelves within a few months ;)

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »
Welcome to the arena! I fortunately never lost my childhood ponies. Hope baby moondancer shows up! I think she's uber sweet but I have yet to find a flawless one
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Star Spark

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:51 AM »
They are probably in my parents' basement somewhere, but it's above ground so hopefully not too damp- Baby Moondancer was a little gray but I remember that her hair and symbol were near perfect (despite having been well played with.) I really want to find them now to unite all of what I have and find a permanent spot for them (wall mounted shelves might be a problem due to the house's weird design, and despite having multiple bookshelves we don't even have enough for books, but maybe a pony desk for now? They can help me study!)

GothMummy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
hello, welcome! I am 36, I dont think you are "older" lol there are lots of 80s kids here! Im a G1 collector, but also G3 as I love their G1-ish design.

x

Star Spark

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
Heh, yeah, I guess I meant to convey "older" as someone who collects mainly G1 ponies and whose childhood ended before G3/was not introduced to ponies through Friendship is Magic (though I really like the show.) I actually probably skew a little younger than a lot of the '80s kids here, though I was into ponies for about as long as I can remember.

I do appreciate the G1-ish style of the G3s, though I think lack of nostalgia and finite funds prevent me from collecting them (especially since they're common at the flea market and thrift stores- I'd be swimming in them!) I actually really liked the G2s for trying something a little different, though (and having molded hooves!) Wished I'd grabbed more of them when they got dumped on clearance way back when.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal