collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 509
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 7941 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 05:57:35 AM »
Game of Thrones, because it has a lot of content in it I know would upset me.

DaVinci code and anything else by Dan Brown, because his writing really isn't to my taste.

I tried reading Twilight because a barista I liked to talk to was really into it and we were gonna talk about it, but I never finished because I got distracted really fast. He moved onto another job fairly quickly after, so I was off the hook either way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
Harry Potter
50 Shades of Gray
Divergent
Hunger Games
Game of Thrones

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
I like reading popular books a while after everyone else seems to have read them. Guess I just want to be different. :P I started reading the "Harry Potter" books after the "Goblet of Fire" had come out, and I've just started with the "Millenium" trilogy by Larsson (finished the first one yesterday).

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
Twilight, 50 Shades, any other "romantic" barf.

I also don't like any Greek or Roman type works. I got about halfway through the Divine Comedy in attempt to read more of the classics and couldn't do it anymore. They just use too many words to get to their point.

I can't say I would "never" read Harry Potter or Hunger Games. I haven't had the urge to read them, but I like the movies so I'm sure the books are great. 

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »
I will never read 50 Shades of Grey.  That's where I draw the line.  If I want to read something in that, ahem...genre...I'm going to pick up something that wasn't originally bad Twilight fanfiction.

Once said I'd never read Twilight, too, but I did last summer and finally was able to justify why it was so offputting to me (not to mention the first book is one of the most atrociously written/edited books I've ever read.  By the last book you can really tell how much the writing and editing has improved, in any case). 

I was an English literature major, so I read several "100 Greatest" type books/authors during my college years that I will never voluntarily pick up again.  James Joyce.  D.H. Lawrence.  Jane Austen (yes...I'm serious...).  Moby Dick.  I'm sure there are several more...

Nowadays I stick to mostly fantasy/sci fi stuff. 

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »
Fifty shades of grey
Eragon
The Davinci code
Twiligh (oh wait, I did read those :/)
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

UnicornCandy

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 08:36:10 AM »
I absoultly loved the 50 Shades books!
Moved on to the Silva Day books now though. They're alot more yummy, and not everyone in her books are a muilti-billionair, owning shares of cities.

^.^

And wait, Did I hear someone say Harry Potter?  :blink:
We will never get along... it is final!

~I never did read the twilight books, nor hunger games.
Honestly glad I never bothered though, as the films turned out to be pretty awful.
Even in this case, some of the harrypotter films turned out horrendious, I will never turn down the oppertunity to read the books, over and over!
I think its all about mind games.
If you read the book before the film, it gives alot to the imagination, but when you read the books AFTER you've seen the film, it leaves nothing to the imagination.

I point blank, REFUSE to watch the film of 50Shades though. Its alot of rubbish!  I'm pretty sure it broke up alot of relationships, because EVERYONE wanted a fruitfull man, who owned a helicopter, and was rolling in the money!
Reality check. Me and my boyfriend get excited over pizza take-a-ways. Haha! :'D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:42:27 AM by UnicornCandy »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
the hunger games!

Pass!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:23 AM »
I read pretty much everything that seems a bit interesting no matter the popularity. I'll be honest and say I tried Harry Potter but couldn't get past Order of the Phoenix.

CrystalJapan

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
I just don't really have the desire to read things like harry potter or twilight, even if my friends are big fans of it. That and any of John Greens books.
However I did listen to a audio reading of the original twilight fanfiction of 50 shades of grey, I put up with it for a while but started to get too disgusted at it's problematic presentation, I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy the actual books.
my cousin bought me all three hunger games books for Christmas one year, and i can see myself reading it one day but only really for laughs, i hear it's a very skin of your teeth read.

My father actually owns a fair number of Terry Pratchett books! I do keep on meaning to read them, and as a child i had a few books he wrote for children. but however i kept on reading the first few chapters, putting it down for a long time and then having to read the first few chapters again because i forgot what happened.

Offline Primrose

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
50 Shades
Divergent
Vampire Diaries

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »
Twilight ::ack::
Divergent
Harry Potter
The Chronicles of Narnia
LOTR

I worked in a library 3 years ago. I know I'm missing out on some good new reads...

I'm still on the fence about FSOG. I almost think I should read it so when I go to the theatre I'm not totally freaking out... LOL

Post Merge: April 20, 2014, 10:04:20 AM

I can't say I would "never" read Harry Potter or Hunger Games. I haven't had the urge to read them, but I like the movies so I'm sure the books are great. 
Hunger Games series is an easy read. It takes me FOREVER to get through a book and I had them all read within two months. When I had to read them out loud to the clientele at work the writing gets kinda choppy... I'm guessing you'd appreciate that the books go far more into detail events/action vs the movies...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:04:20 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
50 Shades of Gray
The rest of the Twilight series - admittedly, I did read the first one.  I gave up when I got to the blank pages in the second one.  That bugged me to no end.

I hate to say never, but I probably won't be reading Eragon or Game of Thrones, either.

Hunger Games wasn't bad though I'm taking forever to get through Mockingjay.  I have to be in the right mood. . .

Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
I tend to read anything and everything; even if I dont fancy it I ll give it a go if someone recommends it highly enough. However, I will admit the one series I have held out against is Game of Thrones - normally love those kind of things but I have tried reading it 2 or 3 times now and always put it down within the first few pages.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
Well, I'm in the same "never read Twilight or 50 Shades" boat because I think their content is super problematic/troubling.

But I also never read the Harry Potter books and I have no explanation why. It's not that I hate HP or anything. The universe, the story, the characters - they just don't appeal to me. I actually tried reading the first and I had to stop after 100 pages. I tried to read the second and stopped after 150 pages. Heh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal