collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Children these days.  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Children these days.
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »
What do you think about them? Are they growing up too fast for their age?

I've noticed as the years are going by more and more are going out partying at 15 and younger, having babies at 13+, Being sexually active in grade 8 etc..

When I was a kid I played with My Little Ponies and barbies.. Not with my baby or with rude parts.

What do you think about the society these days?

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Children these days.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »
This could potentially become a very touchy subject for some. I had my son at 17 (pregnant at 16) and honestly, I turned out great. (Lol.)  And Not only did I have a child young, but he was diagnosed with Autism when he was 3 and he's 8 now. He's grown into a wonderful young boy (still a pain in my butt) and that has to say something about my parenting. XD

But I get what you're saying. I do believe kids are growing up too quickly these days and there are many parents who turn a blind eye to it.  I see it everyday in the spring, summer and fall. Young girls are dressing provocatively and it makes you wonder, do the parents even see what their children are wearing?
Sadly, a lot of that stems from, in order to live nowadays, you have to work like 2 full time jobs, give up parenting your children because you can barely make ends meet. :(

I'm proud to say that my son is 8, he does not own a cell phone, he does not own his own computer/laptop, he doesn't even have an iPod. He is obsessed with LEGOs and Mario and hopefully he will stay like that until he's 16 or so. At 16, since he isn't a girl, he may be able to go out on group dates... Maybe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
i can't tell you how many times teens come through and ask for "birth control stick" at work.
i. am. in. shock.

if you don't even know what its called, you shouldn't be having sex.

Offline FlitterRose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:56 AM »
It's sad when society changes like this :( I still live with my parents and I go to school, but I've never drank any alchohol or and I don't even want to see cigarettes and proud of it. (For those who use cigarettes, I don't mean anything ofensive by this, don't get my words wrong)

The things you describe often happen in my country, unfortunately :( . I miss times when you see a 10 year old girl on the street and she doesn't wear tons of mascara, lipstick and eyeshadow. I mean, I like make-up, but a young girl to wear tons of it, so she could be more sexually atractive...  :blink: Nugh! I'm not even going to start about their mini-skirts and tops, which barely reach their waist...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:20:38 AM by FlitterRose »
Sup

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:03 AM »
Not too long ago I saw an 8 or 9 year old girl wearing purple sequined booty shorts. She was with an adult that I assume was her Mom. Look though the girls clothing deparment at a store. Most of them look like hooker clothes. I was having this conversation with a friend of mine. She's says it's almost impossible for her to non-hooker clothes for her 9 year old.

My cousin had a cell phone, ipod, and got her nails done at the age of 9. Why does a 9 year old need fake nails? I remember being really excited when my grandma would paint my nails at that age.

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:58 AM »
Who gives a rat's ass if kids dress in ways you find to be "provocative?" It isn't your life and it doesn't affect you, so why shame chicks for wearing what they like? I can understand not liking the drug use, but why limit a woman's right to dress how she likes?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
Who gives a rat's ass if kids dress in ways you find to be "provocative?" It isn't your life and it doesn't affect you, so why shame chicks for wearing what they like? I can understand not liking the drug use, but why limit a woman's right to dress how she likes?

Thank you. 

In the end, these aren't just children but other young women. 

Should we now criticize and heavily complain about women who wear fake nails?  Or those who wear stockings?  How about ones who wear "boots wit' da fur"?  I imagine a number of Arena members who are female wear stockings, have fake nails, and own at least one pair of Uggs.

If I was a child still, I would be heartbroken to know that adult women were demeaning me behind my backs or my choice in fashion.  I'm more than a little saddened on the part of these young women to know that their role models are mocking them and assigning nasty, negative labels to them. 

At least the young ladies shopping with their mothers were shopping with their mothers.  There can be some proper role-modeling as long as they are with their mothers.  :)  They could have been hanging out with much older kids, sneaking out of school or worse things. 

Plus... maybe the "booty shorts" were from a dance class she hadn't changed from yet.  I know there's a dance studio at the mall by my house and I would never assume to label any of the make-up laden children wearing shorts/sequins/leotards/no pants as "provocative" or "sexualized"!  They're either on the way into the studio or leaving it... and they don't always change back to street clothes. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:22:03 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ivaness

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:54 AM »
See, it can be a touchy subject.

Now, I'm not demeaning children. BUT, that is what they are. Children. An 8 year old sees a pair of purple sequined "booty" shorts, and they don't see that they could be misconstrued. They see a shiny pair of shorts! An 8 year old isn't old enough (not like a 16 year old or even a 13 year old) to see that someone else could be leering at them inappropriately. And that isn't their fault. BUT, there are tasteful... ish ways to wear clothing like that. My sister in law makes my 16 year old niece wear leggings underneath shorts like that.

And it all depends on when the parents grew up. If you have a young mother who dresses like that, they have no issues letting their kids dress like that.

I grew up bigger, so I don't even wear shorts now. Haha. But, my boyfriend and I have the same mind set. IF I can see your butt, it's too short and you aren't wearing it. :)  But, that's my kids.  I may disagree with how another mother dresses her child, but it doesn't affect me but I do feel a little sad.

Post Merge: December 05, 2012, 07:41:05 AM

Thank you. 

In the end, these aren't just children but other young women. 

Should we now criticize and heavily complain about women who wear fake nails?  Or those who wear stockings?  How about ones who wear "boots wit' da fur"?  I imagine a number of Arena members who are female wear stockings, have fake nails, and own at least one pair of Uggs.

/snip/

Plus... maybe the "booty shorts" were from a dance class she hadn't changed from yet.  I know there's a dance studio at the mall by my house and I would never assume to label any of the make-up laden children wearing shorts/sequins/leotards/no pants as "provocative" or "sexualized"!  They're either on the way into the studio or leaving it... and they don't always change back to street clothes.
To me, a 9 year old isn't a young woman, that's still a child. My son hits 9 next year, he will not be a young man. He will still be a child.

And, you are correct. There are situations where that kind of clothing is definitely appropriate.
But, do you feel that kind of clothing is appropriate for school? I do not. If it was 120 degrees out, that clothing is appropriate. If it's 30 degrees out and you're wearing shorts with half your butt hanging out, I think you could maybe slip back inside and put on leggings or a pair of pants, haha.

But, I'm really modest and I would expect my children to dress modestly. It's how I was raised. I don't judge these kids over it. I cringe because I'm modest. I don't run across the street and be like "OMG you need to cover up!" and throw my sweater around their waist.

And some Uggs are really adorable. I love how some ladies can pull off a long sweater, tights and boots. I can't, but I love seeing how people dress.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:41:05 AM by Ivaness »

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
I find most children these days to be too loud, disrespectful and lacking good parental guidance. Not saying all are like this cuz they're not, but most of the ones I encounter are.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
Sometimes it's tough to blame the parents though- it's harder to get a good paying job now, you have to work more hours, and still have trouble making ends meet thanks to the economy. Less time with the kids, more stress and worse parenting.

I was watching a video from 1949 about how to date on Youtube, and it made me respect these times so much less.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Im going to drop a bit of a warning here, since this has defiantely ruffled some feathers.  Play nice and concider how others may feel before posting or this thread will need to be locked <3

As far as my views go, I can see it both ways. Not all kids are like this, not all people are the same.

Theres a huge agegap between my sister and I..and we have some similarities but personality wise couldnt be more different. Shes not a bad kid but falls into the 'typical teenager' category..where I grew up with my head in the books. I cant control what she does but I can help influence it by talking to her.  She still needs to make up her own mind but when other factors are involved it usually helps to move towards a more reasonable one :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Ivaness

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
I said, touchy subject. Hehe.

All kids need a good positive role model. :I And, sadly, there just aren't a lot out there anymore.  The media warps even the best of what little role models there are.  What a time we live in. :(

And Melody, I'm with you, being the younger sister though. There's almost 10 years between my older sister and I. She kind of left me alone during my childhood, but now that I'm 26, we get along a lot better and she's definitely a huge positive influence in my life. :)  (And it helps that now our similarities are bigger!)

Too bad we can't be a better positive influence on our middle brother who is going down a very dangerous path. :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:14:44 AM by Ivaness »

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
My problem is with these young girls being sexualized. That worries me. I can see how easy it is for teen/tween girls to dress that way no matter what  the parents think. It's easy to go to her friend's house and dress in her clothes and wear her make up. I'm talking about younger kids. I'm sorry, but I don't think a mini skirt (unless leggings or something underneath) and a low cut shirt are appropriate for an 8 year.  If it's hot outside I can see them wearing less clothes. I'm not demeaning them or making fun of them. Their parents are the ones buying the clothes. I remember in 5th grade wanting a see through shirt so bad because some of my friends had them. My parents said no and in my opinion as a grown up I think they should have.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
I am a mother of four young girls (ages 7, 5, 3, and 19 months), and I admit I have a difficult time finding clothes that I deem appropriate for their age.  The majority of skirts and dresses I find are waaaaaaay too short.  Maybe they are now made that way because leggings are in, maybe not.  And it's not like I need their dresses to be at their ankles.  Knee-length or just slightly above is what I'm aiming for.  But most hit at mid-thigh, which I think is too short for girls that age.  And I get a double whammy with my 7-year-old, because she's tall for her age, and it's all in her legs, so the skirts appear even shorter.  Yes, I have biker shorts and leggings to go under them to make them more modest, but it's still frustrating at times.  I want my girls to look age appropriate - not like a 16-year old.

But I admit that my oldest two do like the glitz - they love the holiday cardigans with all the sequins!

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
I'm not sure that kids are "growing up" too soon. Not very long ago one would have been considered an adult at 13.

It's the lack of respect that youngsters are showing that worries me. Most do not seem to respect elders, rules, each other or them selves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal