collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Children these days.  (Read 2989 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Children these days.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:27 AM »
What do you think about them? Are they growing up too fast for their age?

I've noticed as the years are going by more and more are going out partying at 15 and younger, having babies at 13+, Being sexually active in grade 8 etc..

When I was a kid I played with My Little Ponies and barbies.. Not with my baby or with rude parts.

What do you think about the society these days?

Actually, partying and having sex and the occasional knock up, that's been seen as the stereo typical teen culture for quite a while. American movies and what not from the 80's, 70's, 60's show that. Kids driving about in cars, smoking, hanging out god knows were or causing trouble and starting fights and being in gangs/groups, that was viewed as being 'cool' from what I understand.

As for the stuff in real life, I think during our parents generation (those born probably in the 70's and earlier) Teen pregnancies were probalby hushed up and if it was leaked, they were shunned from public and stink-eyed. Like recently one of our upper politicians made a public apology to those who were forced to give up their children for adoption, mostly teens and single mothers.

It's like how peadophilia/molesation wasn't much of a worry during the 70's/80's/90's and it was known, but it was all 'as if anyone would do that' but now? Everybody is paranoid about it, kids get educated about it and what not and since it's out there, more cases are being reported.

Anyway, I think think this all leads from things being hushed up and not spoken about, but when communications became easier and faster to obtain- things like teh internet, mobile phones, faxes, tv, live broad casts and fast aeroplanes. It's hard to keep these things in the dark, and more people have better jobs and so there was a BOOM in population.

And so since there was a BOOM and our populaiton is still rising, it's getting harder and harder to hide things. With cameras everywhere and in everything, everybody has a mobile (I remember in school, only one or three kids had a phone and everybody loved them for it! haha, it was like have a metallic gel pen in primary school) and the news could be broad cast at any time of day on tv or the radio. Infomation is easier to ship around, and once infomation is out there there's no stopping it.

and also with the boom in population means there's more kids out there doing whatever it is like partying so it's more obvious, before it was a word of mouth thing or a telephone thing and you had to be home to take the call or simply, just know someone. Now? Just send out one email to 2390429398490 different addresses save to your list and everybody can come for your booze  up.

Post Merge: December 06, 2012, 05:54:30 AM

I think. I think I got the wrong end of the stick here, I dind't see the other commetns so I'm in the wrong context box. oops. orz

Post Merge: December 06, 2012, 05:54:49 AM

am I allowed to delete my reply?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:54:49 AM by bagheera86 »

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 07:05:42 AM »
bagheera86 I think your post is relevant.  It speaks to how the media and perception of what it means to be a kid affects the culture itself.  :) But feel free to pull it if you like.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »
I don't think it's a new as everyone thinks. I'm 20 and when I was in school and about 7-8 there was lots of girls who wanted to be into 'grown up stuff' like makeup and 'grown up' clothes etc. But there is some stuff on the rise that isn't go good like really young kids who smoke, drink etc.

Also, I do think 'kids these days' isn't that new since it always crops up. Also, the concept of a childhood and a teenhood as it were is fairly 'new' as of course kids used to work, and people used to get married really young like early-mid teens and there wasn't really an 'adolosence' period like we have now. I think the idea of 'teenagers' only really came around post WW2 in most countires.

And in line with bagreeha things like teenage mothers aren't new but like she said it was hushed up quite a bit like if a girl was pregant out of wedlock they usually ended up in a mum and baby home and then after the baby was born they'd be left.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:57:29 AM by starrypawz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »
I don't have kids, I have a cat and he's like my son.  So, I can't say I've been looking around the girls' department at clothing stores.  However, I do see some shocking outfits for girls in halloween stores.  They have their own version of sexy costumes, like sexy policewoman and they have fishnet stockings, short skirts, shirts that are like belly shirts and high boots.

I know some people might think that because I don't have kids I don't have the right to give my opinion.  It's fine if you feel that way but I want to kindly give my opinion anyway.

I think you see children growing up too fast a lot lately.  I love monster high but I think that, bratz dolls, and how some of the new barbies are kind of show to young kids how females are supposed to look.  If a Mom guys their daughter a short skirt but uses leggings or biker shorts or something along with it I think that's OK.

Also, I don't personally own a pair of uggs.

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
While there may be excuses for children's clothes that too revealing, there is no excuse for children's clothes that have prints on them that say "Hot", "Miss Sexy", "Kiss Me" and whatnot. It's disgusting.

I absolutely agree to this. I saw a BABY. Yeah a BABY! Wearing a shirt that said "I suck my mummies boobies."

Who in the right mind would make a 6 month old child wear something that ridiculous. Sure, they may think it's funny but it is highly inappropriate.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
D: I can't believe a shirt like that exists.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
I absolutely agree to this. I saw a BABY. Yeah a BABY! Wearing a shirt that said "I suck my mummies boobies."

Who in the right mind would make a 6 month old child wear something that ridiculous. Sure, they may think it's funny but it is highly inappropriate.

Maybe they were a breastfeeding advocacy family.  What's inappropriate about breast feeding?  Or mentioning that it occurs?  :(  I would be incredibly insulted if someone told me that the only purpose of my breasts is to look attractive and that it is shameful to present them as the reason why my child is alive. 

In Canada, it's unlawful to express any kind of opinion about a woman's breasts when she has an infant present, whether they are out in the open, under a cover, or the baby is wearing an outfit that says, "I breastfeed - it's the best!"  And women are legally allowed to be as topless as men are.  :-p
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:08:19 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »

Maybe they were a breastfeeding advocacy family.  What's inappropriate about breast feeding?  Or mentioning that it occurs?  :(  I would be incredibly insulted if someone told me that the only purpose of my breasts is to look attractive and that it is shameful to present them as the reason why my child is alive. 

It just sounded wrong that a baby was wearing a shirt that said boobies.  :( Hmm I suppose it WOULD be WORSE if a 15 year old was wearing a shirt that said that lol

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »

It just sounded wrong that a baby was wearing a shirt that said boobies.  :( Hmm I suppose it WOULD be WORSE if a 15 year old was wearing a shirt that said that lol

Well, it is the truth isn't it? xDD

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
so..  yeah  i  noticed that the kids clothing is getting skimper and skimper..  and a lot of  people dress there kids as 'hookers" style now adays.. but honestly that isn't   my place to judge anyhting.. but   i will say.. if you dress  your child   skimpy nad in very little clothing as a kid.. chances are that is  what there goin to wear when they get older..  and   we all know where that goes..  for example.  my  parents know soemoen who has a little girl.. whos  9  years old and  dressed like  shes 19..  she  wears   revealing shirts that purplusly show cleavge,   short daisy dukes.  and  i belive  heels.   and puts on maleup and goes out of the house like that..  in mho its enterualy unappoiate  to let her do that..  but in the end it is the parents choice.  to allow it or not.

the other  day i was in  wallmart and i saw a  string bikini  that  was just  two  little  trangles for the  top and a thong nad  a little pice of matreil for the bottom.  for a  6 year old!!!!!  o.o really?

but  anyway..   i just wnated to say this.. i dont know if you all are fmailer with mars needs moms  (the disney  movie that flopped?)  apparnetly disney did a poll and made a statement   before tangled came out.  and   thats why the made mars needs moms but it was horrible. they said that girls  dont want to be princesses anymore.. that they wnat o be hookers. and  really i can see thre point..  so thats why they wee going to start trying to cater to boys..  but the movie itself was horrendous  so  i dont know if  they have gone back on this statement or not.. but  they are aparenty now trying to get boys   as there main audince and no longer little girls.  they had to redo tnagled whih  imo  was a good  movie.

but in the end..  it deosnt affect us. what parents do with there kids.  and this isnt a new problem its been  here awhile.. i rmeember when i was in   i think.. 9th grade in one  class i was in i was the only person there not  pregnet.  or  had a kid. and they looekd down on me for it.  and the fact that the  schools  have day care for the kids  yes its  good and its bad at hte same time. your saying hey  ig you get pregnet here  you can put your kid here. 

but in closing..  i thinkt hat peoples modesty issues have changed..  and it all depends on the persons morals and views..   how they want to dress there  kids.. if they wnat to  dress them skimpy thent hat is there choice..  and   i know theres a  big conrovers about breast feeding in public and nudity.   but again..  that is  a person perosnal choice..   and if they chose to do it.. hten so be it. 
as my dad says so many times  to me in my life.  if you do something be prepared to deal with the consequnces that choice will give you.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »
Bagheera, I 100% agree with you.  This isn't a new thing at all.  And how old does everyone sound "children these days"  didn't our parents say that.  Holy crap, when I was 10 I wore mini skirts and hot pants.  In lovely 80s fluro orange.  Did we all forget that mini skirts were invented in the 60s?  And those things were short.  Back in medieval time if you didn't have kids by the time you were 15 you were an old maid because you died in your 30s.  Lolita was was written in 1955, so sexualising kids isn't new.  Should we do that?  No, we shouldn't, but it isn't "kids these days".

While there may be excuses for children's clothes that too revealing, there is no excuse for children's clothes that have prints on them that say "Hot", "Miss Sexy", "Kiss Me" and whatnot. It's disgusting.

I find shirts like this funny.  Their babies, they don't know what their wearing.  And they aren't meant to sexualise babies, it's just a joke. 

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
Lol, I have a near-2 year old who is almost 8 inches taller than the national average. Everything on her is midriff-baring and "too short", but it doesn't bother me because at least she's comfortable and she can kick her legs and dance and do splits without her pants falling down. xD

The problem here is little girls' bodies being sexualized against their will. How come boys can go to the pool entirely shirtless and nobody bats an eye?

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
Lol, I have a near-2 year old who is almost 8 inches taller than the national average. Everything on her is midriff-baring and "too short", but it doesn't bother me because at least she's comfortable and she can kick her legs and dance and do splits without her pants falling down. xD

The problem here is little girls' bodies being sexualized against their will. How come boys can go to the pool entirely shirtless and nobody bats an eye?

That pool thing annoys me so much.  I have a friend who was kicked out of the pool because he 8 year old hated wearing tops at the pool.  When they were kicked out, the staff said "Girls have to wear tops, that is a girl, right?"  he couldn't even tell and they were kicking them out.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Ok,

I really think everyone needs to take a moment to stop and step back. Just remember that whatever you see, there are always 2 sides of the coin, and there might be a chance that whatever you may think is happening isnt really the case.

The point with the BC pill actually made me think..and the OP to that comment is 100% right.  Up until they found out that the BC was the cause of a tumor in my liver, I was on it...purely for medical reasons.  I was forced on it when I was a teenager but in actuallity they should have started it when i was 8--they just didnt catch it fast enough.

Would you have looked at me and assumed that I was growing up too quickly or thought I was active if that had been the case?

A few days ago, I was going out for my walk and went to go and sit on a swing.  A young mother went and downgraded me because adults arent supposed to go on the swing.  I turned around and pretty much told her the same thing.  You dont know me, or my medical history. She would have had no idea of the last 5 years of my life which had brought me to that point.  I was out there for medical reasons.

The baby shirt comment is another example^^ Sometimes its just better to stop and think outside the box for a sec or concider something that might not be your initial thought or reaction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:31:53 AM by melodys_angel »

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »

That pool thing annoys me so much.  I have a friend who was kicked out of the pool because he 8 year old hated wearing tops at the pool.  When they were kicked out, the staff said "Girls have to wear tops, that is a girl, right?"  he couldn't even tell and they were kicking them out.
"Your body is inappropriate and needs to be covered up at all times" is the message, essentially.

It's no wonder that when some girls are growing up, awash in their own personal insecurities and feelings of inadequacy, they turn to low-cut cleavage-baring shirts and "JUICY" shorts. It's flirty, it's teasing, it's giving others a glimpse of something "taboo", and it's unfortunately a very easy way to make them sexy and interesting to the troglodytian male population that they've been led to believe is superior to them for... some reason.

If we were all allowed to just walk about town topless without people making us feel like crap, this topic wouldn't even exist ;3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal