collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3  (Read 77938 times)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3
« Reply #915 on: January 02, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Just remember that amazon is like ebay - sellers can set their price for whatever the heck they want, and it's not necessarily reflective of the fair market value. That particular seller has a set of baby stacking cups that usually cost around $8 listed for $49.95.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #916 on: January 02, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
$1200 seems fairly reasonable, but not $4k.  Must have been a limited doll or something, plus the inflation of sellers who think the can charge anything.  I was seeing Coco on sites like Amazon or eBay for $800+ and I will be able to order her from the international site for closer to $550 (plus shipping).  So a lot of sellers end up ramping up the price because it's easier to buy from them than from the site.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #917 on: January 03, 2016, 02:37:44 AM »
I've not done a faceup before, but I did a lot of research.

I plan to use Testors Dullcoat as the sealant.  I also plan to get some quality watercolor pencils.  I keep reading tips and tutorials, I want to feel prepared! 

Thank you for the warning, I would hate to ruin an expensive item like this!

-----------

Your centaur looks awesome!  What supplies did you use?

He is sealed in full with MSC original as I bought a few cans the last time we imported it. The majority of him is done with high quality chalk pastel. Make sure there is no oil, it discolours the resin! And water colour pencils from staediler. And I use Reaper Acylic Minature paints as they blend well with water, and the flow improver, they are bright and vibrant and come in a lot of premix colours and it is easy to control colour ratio with the eye dropper bottles. So I can mix paint and then get close to the same colour if I need to re mix. It also works with my airbrush so that is what I use.

Also the string in them is an elastic that is braided with threads around it. I have a whole bunch of sizes if you want me to show you mine? And most dolls come loose so hot glue suading is a good option as is tightening the elastic in them. They often come loose to prevent damage. My Cuprit can stand on one leg after we tightened her elastic and Hot Glue suaded her.

If you need help with them pm me I would be willing to sit on skype and talk you though ANYTHING you need.

Spoiler
My Cuprit, her name is Eavan, on one foot.

And her crouching.

[/spoiler]

Thank you so much!

I know that MSC is supposed to be the best, but also the hardest to buy.  :P

I was thinking about the Citadel Purity Seal, but I got mixed reviews when searching it.  Same thing for Testors actually..  So, I don't know for sure what to try.

I know I will need a new (low temp) hot glue gun, as mine is the high temp and I read that could melt or burn the resin.  I do NOT want to do that!

So much to think about.  I guess it's a good thing there is a 3-4 month wait.  lol!

Testors is good. I used them for the first 2 years of my dolly life. And it works. Just it yellows after time. But as it is your first doll you will re do the face up numerous times and you grow any ways with your doll. I think only one doll has a face up that is over 5 years old for me. And she was painted by Call Me Gorgeous!!

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
« Reply #918 on: January 03, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
I just saw the Fate/Stay Night Volks dolls, and even for BJDs they seem ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know the reason for this? Are they limited, or is it perhaps a licensing thing?

I don't know about those particular dolls (I'm having a hard time navigating Volks' webpage), but Volks is typically more expensive than other companies.  Their dolls are gorgeous, though, and I'm going to try to save up for a SD Coco by the end of the year.  2016 doll goal!

I haven't seen them on the website, but Amazon is selling them for around 1200-4120 dollars if I remember correctly, and I just can't fathom why even a comparatively small one like Illyasviel costs that much.

The Fate/Stay Night Dollfie Dreams are expensive due to supply and demand. Saber Lilly retailed at 1.2k but resells for 2.4k-3k. The fanbase is mostly made of up die hard males who adore their Saber. (I admit I love her too. ♡) Typically of you can preorder but if you miss it, they go for insane amounts.

Its a terrible woe for me since what I want most is a Saber Lily but can't afford her. T_T

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Volks does a lot of limited release Dollfie Dreams, they're all pretty expensive but look beautiful.

Zenna - Coco usually gets restocked on the volks webshop on a reasonable time frame. She's been restocked at least twice in the last 6 months, which is really good for volks.

All my bjds are volks ones. I have SD Saki, DD Mayu, MSD Mako and my most recent addition at Christmas was Mihmi. I'll post some photos later this afternoon as I have a few errands to run today.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #920 on: January 04, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
I would love to see them.  I have avoided really looking at any Volks dolls purposefully because of the price tag.  But it's always when you least expect it that a doll sneaks up on you.  There was a picture of a doll modeling a wig on Facebook and it was Coco.  :lovey:  She'll still be my most expensive doll, but I adore her.  It's going to take me a long time to save for her, so she may end up being my only new doll for the year.  I do have some plans for the current dolls too though!

I was making a list of my 2016 doll goals the other day and I have 2 dolls who need faceups (plus full body flushing for Leif), 4 wigs to buy (I have 2 bald dolls and 2 whose wigs I just don't like), and various bits of doll clothes (Leif doesn't have a stitch of clothing and I have a few others who could use a new outfit).  Plus Coco.  I eventually want to get Leif some tattoos too, but I doubt that I'll be able to afford them this year with all of the other stuff.  I don't even know if I will be able to afford all of that anyway lol.

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 05, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »
old photo of Chie ( Dollfie Dream Mayu), Miki (SDmidi Mako) and Saki.

Closer photos of
Miki

Chie

Miki and Mihmi

I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #922 on: January 05, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »
They're so gorgeous.  :lovey:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #923 on: January 05, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
I've taken a vow? Resolution? To keep one doll for an entire year. So that means Benny gets spoiled tons. At least one small package per month. Today we received a new set of eyes.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #924 on: January 05, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
Benny is freaking adorable.  I have the opposite problem.  I had a super hard time selling my Pullips and I have never sold any of my BJDs.  I get too attached. 

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 05, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
I have that problem too. I just can't seem to get attached to any dolls. Although my Pukifee has been a really pleasant surprise for me and will more then likely be around for a long long time.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #926 on: January 05, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
Well my mom's glad at least that you didn't stay attached to your Luna, lol.  She named her Maggie and she's one of Mom's favorites!

Though she's actually in a different wig right now.  She's blonde these days and it suits her.  :)

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
Well my mom's glad at least that you didn't stay attached to your Luna, lol.  She named her Maggie and she's one of Mom's favorites!

Though she's actually in a different wig right now.  She's blonde these days and it suits her.  :)

I loved that sculpt but I didn't fall in love with the size til Ante came along. I'm so glad that your mom loves her. Luna was a sweetheart and deserved to be loved by someone as sweet as your momma.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #928 on: January 05, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
I should have Mom take new photos.  She's so cute blonde!  And she and I found perfect little patio furniture at a hardware store of all places, so she is currently sitting in an adorable little chair.  And Mom bought her a little knit hat that's super cute too.

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Oh Id love to see new pictures of her. And that set sounds super cute.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal