collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3  (Read 79751 times)

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
Re: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3
« Reply #870 on: December 30, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »
I think DZ Wendy is my dream doll (really the special version but lbr that won't be happening.) I can't stop looking at her. I guess I need to sell some stuff to try to get one...or sell a lot of stuff...lol THE HUNT BEGINS.
I have one! She's one of my fave dolls, actually. Her name is Morwenna.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
DSCN0809 by Kira-Lee Jones, on Flickr

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #871 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
She is SO BEAUTIFUL! I have so many faceup/blushing ideas for her. NEEEEEED! I texted my husband earlier today and was rambling about how I need one to keep under a bell jar on my desk in my office. lol

Offline xkelpiex

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Thank you, she is indeed a pretty girl. I have seen people do so many amazing things faceup/blushing wise, too! I bought her second hand with her original blushing because I just loved the blues and pinks and golds sooo much together and they are truly stunning up close, but I also love seeing all the different ideas people have for her. I tried clothing her when I first got her because I wanted to keep her "decent", but decided she is much prettier and much happier in the buff. Who swims in a dress anyway?(she's a naiad, haha) I also have a Peakswoods monthly fairy as her son because his colouring is similar!

DSCN0920 by Kira-Lee Jones, on Flickr

Emerald

« Reply #873 on: December 30, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Adorable! I love the pair together.  :heart:

My soony has a default faceup because I was afraid to do it myself when I bought her, even though my sole income used to be pullip customization and I paid for her 100% with money from that. That was 100 lifetimes ago, though. I'm about to start repainting monster high dolls to get back into the swing and eventually when I have BJD money again I will do their faceups myself.

Offline xkelpiex

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 30, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »
Faceups look so fun to do! If I weren't colour-deranged (I am so bad at manipulated any sort of colours in any artistic way. I stick to sketching) I would try it myself. I am now tryng to find Canadian artists with open slots and prices I can afford. I understand high pricing, mind you, as it is artwork, but I have a certain budget I have to stick to. I found one on etsy I'ma try next for my incoming Magic Mirror girl. I like the work she posted on DoA. Canadian artists who are actually available for work or who advertaise are few and far between, let me tell you!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 30, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
So pretty and unusual! I love her!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #876 on: December 30, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
I have been wanting to try faceups myself.  I have a blank head that I bought for practice, but I still need the other materials.  I think I would be decent at it, with practice.  It would certainly save me money if I was able to do faces that I actually liked.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #877 on: December 30, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »
I've tried faceups but haven't has much luck. I did the faceup on my batchix doll but it's really more just blushing. I might do better with better quality materials.

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 30, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »
I think DZ Wendy is my dream doll (really the special version but lbr that won't be happening.) I can't stop looking at her. I guess I need to sell some stuff to try to get one...or sell a lot of stuff...lol THE HUNT BEGINS.
I have one! She's one of my fave dolls, actually. Her name is Morwenna.
DSCN0809 by Kira-Lee Jones, on Flickr

Ooo, lovely!

I just ordered a DZ Big Dipper.  It will be at least 3 months..  I can't wait! 

So, how is DZ quality?  Looks good in pictures, just wondering what an owner thinks!

Post Merge: December 30, 2015, 05:24:55 PM

:blush:  Thank you Galactica and Emerald!  Briar is one of my favorites.  I think that the Pano sculpt has the perfect balance of mischievous and sweet.  And Angeltoast gave her exactly the faceup that I had been hoping for.  Plus her new eyes are beautiful.  :)

You're killing me, Rhini!  I just came here to say that I just paid a deposit on this cutie!  :lmao:  Small world!

I've always thought DZ dolls were unique, but have never wanted one for myself.  Yesterday, I saw this little one posted in the Facebook BJD Adoption page and I loved her.  I hadn't seen Angela before, but she's just so weird and adorable; she reminds me of the sort of oddball critters I would have doodled when I was a kid lol.  I had to have her, so I asked the seller if I could do a short layaway.  She had someone else interested and I was worried that the fact that I had to pay in two parts would prevent me from getting her, but this morning she accepted my offer!  I paid a $20 deposit and I will split the remaining amount over the next two weeks so I can pay in two smaller amounts on my next two pay days.  I'm super excited!  I haven't bought a doll since August and this little weirdo will fit right in with my other fantasy dolls.

Now I have to decide what sort of blushing I will want for her and what name I want to give her.

I can't wait to see what you do with it!!

I am getting a blank DZ Big Dipper, so I will be doing my own faceup/markings.  I hope my skills will match my imagination.  ;)

Emerald

« Reply #879 on: December 30, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »
I am getting a blank DZ Big Dipper, so I will be doing my own faceup/markings.  I hope my skills will match my imagination.  ;)

Oh man. I'm excited to see how that turns out! I bet there are endless cool things you could do with that sculpt! I'd love to own any DZ doll someday, especially the weirder ones. ;)

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 30, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »

Oh man. I'm excited to see how that turns out! I bet there are endless cool things you could do with that sculpt! I'd love to own any DZ doll someday, especially the weirder ones. ;)

Yeah, searching for Dollzone Big Dipper on Google yields some lovely images.  Good inspiration!

Emerald

« Reply #881 on: December 30, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »

Yeah, searching for Dollzone Big Dipper on Google yields some lovely images.  Good inspiration!

Oh! I thought it was a new doll that nobody had yet! I'm going to be looking at google images for a while now. LOL

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #882 on: December 30, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »

Have you done faceup before? because the one thing I can say is watch your sealant it is the most important part. I can't wait to see how your DZ turns out!

Post Merge: December 30, 2015, 07:56:02 PM

These were taken in the Summer of 2015 but I am just getting around to doing edits and posting these to places. And I thought before I posted them to my doll tumblr I would post them here first to show you all one of my favourite dolls. He is a Soom Shale in Green from a SO they did a few years back.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:56:04 PM by Phynix »

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 31, 2015, 03:50:07 AM »
I've not done a faceup before, but I did a lot of research.

I plan to use Testors Dullcoat as the sealant.  I also plan to get some quality watercolor pencils.  I keep reading tips and tutorials, I want to feel prepared! 

Thank you for the warning, I would hate to ruin an expensive item like this!

-----------

Your centaur looks awesome!  What supplies did you use?

Offline xkelpiex

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 31, 2015, 05:18:02 AM »
Wystearya: I have both Wendy and a Eudora! I haven't actually ever taken any photos of my Eudora, I've been waiting to buy some backdrops for that, but I'll snap an in house pic for you later! I love the resin quality. Beautifully smooth and the white skin takes colour so well. When the stringing is done correctly, Wendy's posing is amazing. DZ is known to do bum stringing, though. I was rreally lucky and got a really nicely strung one, but I have a friend whose Wendy was super kicky and couldn;t do anything with her at all and she had t retsring and even then had to suede and wire her. My Eudora's posing is a tad limited because of her engineering, and I expect BigD will be the same. The knees don't move inward so much, just a tad, but enough to strike a pose. The BigD's are known to be strung well, though. I don't think many have had problems with them? So, I think you should be good on that end. And if you're painting him yourself you'll have to restring anyway, so it's no big deal. I will warn you that the stringing is a bit more complicated for the BigD and Eudora types so pay attention when unstringing him. Their heads are really deep and narrow so hard to get the eyes in. Make sure you got a Q-tip on hand for eye positioning. UM, and I think that's it? But, yeah. I really love DZ's resin! It's hard to explain, but it's some of the nicest in my bunch. I even like it better than my Fairyland resin, the company everyone goes bonkers for, haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal