collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
Haha, I was going to ask if it was half as scary as Land Before Time, but then I saw that article. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it can't be scarier than the stuff we saw when we were kids! (Brave Little Toaster, anyone?)

I know, right! The '80s had some really scary stuff for kids. We survived just fine.

sailorstitch

Ack, yes, The Brave Little Toaster! So many scary parts. I can remember poor Blankie getting dragged into a hole XD So many other disturbing 80s movies, too. I'm not permanently traumatized, ha ha.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
Oh man and that scary firefighter clown during the Toaster's nightmare. Good Lord I love that movie.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:54 AM »
Or when the air conditioner has his freak out/breakdown... O_o

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 03:59:51 AM »
I've not seen that movie as it hasn't come out in Sweden yet, and I don't have any kids.. but WHAT?! Have people forgotten what they watched when they were kids? I bawled my eyes out at Land before Time, All dogs go to Heaven, Secret of Nimh.. Anyone seen Watership down? It's about bunnies.. who dies! And yet I grew up being (somewhat) normal! Everything in life isn't fluffy and puffy and rainbows.. and kids need to learn that and often they do through the things they watch.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »
I haven't seen good dinosaur... But I'd hate to think of what those parents think of Leafie/Daisy which is on Netflix. Pretty sure it's in the kids section.

And I agree a ton of Disney movies have had darkness, as well as the other animated movies! (I wasn't born yet, but I don't think watership down -- which was my fave movie as a kid-- was a kids movie when released in theaters. It was mistaken for that since it was animated? I could be wrong, but that was my understanding. )

): all dogs go to heaven... Yeah, that was scary to me!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:47:21 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
Oh I thought it meant people over a certain age would be bored to tears by it. Helicopter parents need to calm down. It's Pixar, not adult rated Anime.  A little sadness or scary won't kill the kids.  Those people must have been seriously sheltered and not seen a single cartoon in their entire lives. Either that or they forgot their own childhoods.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:12:16 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur \"shouldn\'t be watched by anyone under the age of 15\"
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
See, I saw it and thought it was a beautiful movie! It didn't seem too scary at all and there were many little kids who went to see it day before opening night with me and from the comments in the bathroom a lot of kids also enjoyed it! Lots of feels and laughs like a an emotional roller coaster but not scary. Older Disney movies were way scarier! Beauty and the Beast (fight scene) was scary for me as a kid and so was Hunchback of Notre Dom but still great movies!

Do you mean the fight scene with Beast vs the wolves or the scene with Beast vs Gaston?

Because I met Paige O'Hara (voice of Belle) last March. During the Q&A she said that Disney had made an even more violent version of the fight scene with the wolves. I think she said that Beast snapped the neck of one of the wolves. (I'll have to watch my video again to double check that.) Paige tried to tell them that it was too violent and they needed to tone it down. They dismissed what she said until the movie had it's first test screening. Then the came back an admitted that she had been right.

Post Merge: December 03, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

When Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out, theater owners hated it.  Why?  Because it was so scary that children WET themselves.  That's right.  The theater owners got tired of cleaning pee out of the seats.  And that one's rated G. 

I haven't seen The Good Dinosaur yet, but based on the complaints, I don't think those parents have seen a lot of Disney movies.

Parents complained that the characters had to deal with the death of close family members.  Cinderella's parents died when she was a little girl and she grew up being abused.  (Cinderella is rated G.)  In The Lion King (rated G) Simba's father was thrown off a cliff and trampled to death by wildebeests.  He was then told it was his fault and chased by hyenas who threatened to kill him as well.  Most Disney princesses have lost at least one parent (usually their mother).  Anna and Elsa (Frozen, G) lose both of their parents. 

The complaint about the dinosaur and the caveboy eating fermented food and acting drunk obviously came from someone who never saw the Pink Elephants scene in Dumbo (also rated G).  Pinocchio (G) depicts boys that run away to Pleasure Island, a place where drinking and smoking is encouraged.

Further examples of scary sequences/violence in Disney cartoons:
The Dinosaur sequence from Fantasia (rated G) was violent and scary.  Not to mention Night on Bald Mountain depicting demons having a party.   

Pinocchio (rated G) was abducted by a Gypsy, smoked and drank, watched his friends get turned into donkeys (who were then sold to pull carts in a mine) and was swallowed by a whale, who then chased him and his father when they escaped, nearly killing them both.

Bambi's mother was shot by hunters.   

Almost every villain dies in the end, usually by falling from a high place, but some of them were literally ripped to pieces.  Scar was attacked by the hyenas.  McLeach (Rescuers Down Under) was almost ripped apart by crocodiles.  They only stopped attacking him when he got too close to the waterfall, which he then went over.  Clayton (Tarzan) was hung.  The Hydra (Hercules) was crushed under a mountain of rocks.  Sykes (Oliver and Company) was hit by a train.

The point is, Disney movies have a history of being scary and violent.  The difference between old Disney movies and new Disney movies is that parents back then didn't rely on Caillou and Dora to raise their kids.  They decided whether or not a movie was too scary for their child to see and didn't necessarily base it on the rating.  Yes, I'm sure this movie is too scary for some children.  But to go off and complain that it's scarier than other Disney films just says that they've never actually watched any.

I don't remember ever hearing that about Snow White. Interesting.....

Frozen is rated PG, not G.  ;)

I think the difference between the rotten fruit in The Good Dinosaur vs similar things in Dumbo and Pinocchio is time. Both Dumbo and Pinocchio came out in the 1940s. Back then there wasn't this idea that "cartoons are only for children". When Walt made his movies, he made them for everyone. Pixar seems to be following that same idea. But most the general public is under the false impression that anything animated is for "babies".  :huh:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:56:23 PM by sailorstitch »

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
I have three small children.  I agree that there is nothing in the movie that is too scary to watch.  My youngest is four and he watched it just fine.  What I have a problem with is what some of you have already voiced.  WHY does someone always have to die in Disney films???  I have made the mistake a few times of not doing my research beforehand and dealing with tears in the theatre.  The worst ones so far have been The Princess and the Frog when the firefly dies and Big Hero 6 when the brother AND Big Hero 6 end up dying.  Now, I won't go to any Disney movie without reading the reviews beforehand and preparing my kids for the death.  I don't necessarily think that children need to be sheltered from that stuff (helicopter parenting drives me crazy!) but I think preparing kids for scenes that may be disturbing to help them work through it is just good parenting.  The frustrating part for me is that these are the majority of the choices for kids if we want to take them to the movies.  That may be the real underlying feelings of those who are complaining.  There's no good alternative really.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »
Secret of Nimh

YES!  This is my FAVORITE non-Disney animated movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.  I still watch it!  And it's scary and violent, especially at the end.  Maybe I was a warped child, but I always kind of liked the bad guys.  I wanted them to be defeated but I still liked them.  Jenner in the Secret of Nimh-  I mean, c'mon. That rat was awesome.

Having said that, my folks usually watched movies all the way through before letting my brother and I see them when we were really young to make sure it wasn't too much for us.  The most disturbing movie I ever saw that I refuse to watch to this day was Ernest Scared Stupid.  My mother did not preview that one and I was terrified something would grab me from under the bed.  *shudder

What about The Last Unicorn?  The harpy, anyone?  Holy cow.  She's terrifying.  Or the old 1970s animated Hobbit? 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:20:08 PM by Aadra310 »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
Secret of Nimh

YES!  This is my FAVORITE non-Disney animated movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.  I still watch it!  And it's scary and violent, especially at the end.  Maybe I was a warped child, but I always kind of liked the bad guys.  I wanted them to be defeated but I still liked them.  Jenner in the Secret of Nimh-  I mean, c'mon. That rat was awesome.

Having said that, my folks usually watched movies all the way through before letting my brother and I see them when we were really young to make sure it wasn't too much for us.  The most disturbing movie I ever saw that I refuse to watch to this day was Ernest Scared Stupid.  My mother did not preview that one and I was terrified something would grab me from under the bed.  *shudder

What about The Last Unicorn?  The harpy, anyone?  Holy cow.  She's terrifying.  Or the old 1970s animated Hobbit?

Don't forget the booby tree. XD

That being said:

Dear crazy helicopter parents. Please worry about what Your Kids watch and let the rest of us decide what is and is not appropriate for our own. Quit trying to police everyone else. Believe it or not, a lot of us have common sense, something which you lack. You have options such as parental controls, online reviews, the remote. Employ them and quit trying to ban  everything that you don't want your little precious to see or hear.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:45:17 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 04:47:02 PM »

Secret of Nimh

Hellyeah! If I HAD to rate my fav 5 movies of all time, NIMH is right up there (maybe at #2!). It's a wonderful film. Oh, Justin.... swoon... (if I were a rat, of course  :P) And Jenner is the bestest baddest badass.... That film rates on so many levels.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »

Oh, Justin.... swoon... (if I were a rat, of course  :P)

I know, right!?  And Disney's Robin Hood...  What a fox!  ;) 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Dinosaur \"shouldn\'t be watched by anyone under the age of 15\"
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »

Don Bluth films were awesome in their hey-day. :)

Post Merge: December 03, 2015, 05:42:17 PM

Ba dum ting!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:42:17 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
..seriously? I can think of other disney movies that have scarier scenes:
Fantasia - The Dinosaur one freaks my sister out still, Night on Bald Mountain? Hellooo basically a piece to Chernobog and his celebration of the night.
Brave Little Toaster as others have said,
All Dogs Go to Heaven - end scene with the devil cat?
Land Before Time.  'nuff said.

I can come up with maybe a dozen more movies that are kid rated but still have areas where it would 'terrify' the kids. -snort-
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
Oh man. Maybe I'm just really weird, but I love "scary" kids movies like Brave Little Toaster, Secret of Nimh (that was the book I checked out the most in elementary school), All Dogs Go to Heaven, Land Before Time, Anastasia, and of course various Disney movies that had scary scenes. I'm kinda more excited to see it now. And now I'll spend the rest of my night on Netflix watching these movies. Haha!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:24:22 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal