collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What profession do you have/want?  (Read 6232 times)

LadyFoxling

• Trade Count: (0)
What profession do you have/want?
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
I noticed the majority of people here are adults. I am curious what kind of jobs you all have IRL? I am currently a college student working on getting a Masters degree in teaching with an English major. I just graduated from my community college with an associates degree. I'm not currently employed, but I have substitute taught a drama class back when I was a teenager, and I know magic tricks and have done a few paid performances in my local area. Also, though I said I'm not currently employed, I am working on some stories I intend to publish (I've already published one short story through amazon which has gotten some good reviews since its publication last year).

Are any of you teachers or wanting to go in that profession? If not, what are you in or wanting to be in? Are you currently employed and does it make you happy? And are any of you writers?

I have many questions (= You don't have to answer them all in that order. It's just something to talk about maybe. I would love to hear from you even if you aren't a teacher or writer.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What profession do you have/want?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
I'm definitely a few years short of being an adult, and currently have no job, but I do have an idea of what I would like to do and probably will do.

Two years ago, my parents purchased a ranch - my current home - with the intention to turn it into a hay/cattle business for my brothers and any future family members we may have. Progress is slow, but we're getting there. When I was much younger, nearly six, I wanted to be either a farmer, a veterinarian, or both. It looks like both dreams are coming true, and while I may never work in a clinic, livestock are always getting injured in one way or another.

Another profession, which is arguably more of a hobby, is my love for art. I'd like to become an advanced artist who can inspire or influence others (in a positive way, of course!) through my artwork, as well as provide a small source of additional income.

Best of luck with your degree, being a teacher sounds exciting!
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »
I'd like to be an illustrator.. but I'm finishing business school.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
I went to school to get a Bachelor's I thought I'd use in publishing. I also really wanted to be a women's literature professor. All that changed when I saw it was pretty much publish or perish, and then got a rude awakening at how the publishing job works and how it pays. I got my Master's in Comm, and used it to work a marketing job for awhile. Then I decided to take charge of my career and quit (other reasons too) and I'm a freelance writer.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:31 PM »
I'm hoping to be a mortician.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
I just got my masters in social work and my first job within my career goals; a therapist! I might go into teaching when I'm older though, because teachers have so affected my personal and professional life, and I would like to be that for someone one day.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
When I was younger, my dream was to be a paleontologist. After graduating from school I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do, I only knew that I wanted to go to university and then do "something with languages". Definitely not teaching though.
I got my M.A. in English Literature, but ... surprise surprise ... couldn't find work in Germany. I ended up in a debt collection company dealing with international clients and debtors, but I hated it. When my ex boyfriend decided to do business in China, I followed. And now I am doing what I always thought I hated, i.e. teaching. And I love it, probably because I really love the country and the people here. Life can have really funny ways sometimes.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:21 AM »
First things first:

Are any of you teachers or wanting to go in that profession?
No. Not my thing.

If not, what are you in or wanting to be in?
I'm 19, and I want to be possibly a Geographer or Oceanographer or Environmental Scientist when I get out of college and then uni!

Are you currently employed and does it make you happy?
No, but I'm desperately looking for a receptionist job as I need some summer money.

And are any of you writers?

No, but I'm doing an AS in Creative Writing in September, I have an AS in English Literature (A grade), and I'm doing A2 English Lit in September too ^.^ It's my strong point, and as such, I've always been at the top of my class for English since I was in primary school.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:47:19 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
I currently work as a vet assistant in a small vet clinic :) I will be starting my second year in veterinary technician school this fall :D I also have a bachelors in animal science. I love what I do and can't wait to be more involved in saving animals :)

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:43:02 AM »
I'm an accountant... yes a numbers cruncher and I love it! :)

I work for the federal government of the United States which can be a pain since Congress doesn't like to get anything done, but such is life.

squishy turdl

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 05:46:43 AM »
Moony : That is so awesome! I always wanted to be a vet or a vert nurse, I love animals.. i did a 2 week work experince back in Australia but I found I just dont have the stomach for it, all those operations and animal sterilisations was too much for me.. however, I have so mad respect for those who do it! props girl!

I'm a tattoo artist, I pretty much draw and do art all day. I have my own shop and I get to meet so many lovely people, occasionally even other pony collectors.. I love my job, any would never consider ever doing something else.

:biggrin:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:05:07 AM »
I'm a stay-at-home mom and am largely content to stay at that career for awhile longer. However, I could see myself being interested in being a florist someday, or working at a greenhouse maybe.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
I'm almost 30 now and I work minimum wage.. I dislike it but its manageable for now. I quit school to work and almost got my drivers license (due to situation with mg family my whole life has been delayed). I'm going back to finish my associates in the spring but no idea what I want to do. I took all the criminal justice classes my college offered but I'm not fit enough/mentally strong to be a cop... So I'm at a loss. My passion is writing and I will be a famous author someday but I refuse to teach. Its underpaid and constantly getting layoffs..
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

sunshine29102

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
I'm 34 now, and I've gone to college twice. The first time was right after high school and majored in studio art and minored in dramatic arts/theatre. As I child, I always wanted to be a veterinarian, but later decided to be a marine biologist. Once in college, I quickly changed my major thinking "do what's easiest for you - art!". 

Moved home after college, couldn't find a job in the "art" field. So, I took on a few different jobs that I didn't really like (real estate office manager, mortgage loan processor, etc). Decided to go back to college after a few years in the workforce, and I then became a nurse.

I'm currently employed and i absolutely positively LOVE my job -- as well as nursing! It's what I was meant to do, it just took me a little while to realize it.  :)

Long story short - it's never too late to change careers if you REALLY want to!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:48 AM »
I'm a secretary, but I kind of want to be an astronaut. 

Except, I'd be like the astronaut from the Lego Movie, so you do not want me representing the fine people at NASA. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal