collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What profession do you have/want?  (Read 6236 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What profession do you have/want?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
I'm not sure what I am. I have a degree in graphic design... but I manage and fix incoming art that my company purchases (be it technical or aesthetic).

It's really fun, and I get to work with really awesome and cute art all day long.

If I could stay at this place, I'd end up being a designer. But they are moving in a few years, and I'll be moving in the opposite direction in a few years... and I can't handle a 1.5 hr commute.

Not sure what I'm going to do afterwards. :/ I kinda just wanna be a stay at home mom.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
I work at McDonald's, yuck.  I'd rather be a professional artist.  There's no calling for that in this area, though.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
I'm a doggie daycare handler. I submitted my application for dog training school so hopefully I get into that!

Duster reference]

Gloomygirl777

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »
I am a stay at home mom to a crazy wonderful 2 year old girl.......hoping to have more children in the next couple years so if that happens I am planning on being with my kids as long as I can :) Thanks to my wonderful husband.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
I currently work as a selling supervisor in two boutiques selling lotions and potions and then luggage and handbags.  Retail isn't a thing I would have ever thought I'd enjoy, but I've found that I have a surprisingknack for it.  The right retail environment can be very stimulating and fun.  Even though I'm a bit of a social hermit outside of work, I enjoy interacting with customers and hustling them into buying what I'm selling.  I've had a lot of other jobs but I keep coming back to it, so I'm currently aiming to move up the retail ladder to asst. manager or manager positions in the next year or so.  Honestly, I don't know if I could even handle a desk job at this point. 

When I was very young elvenwine26 my dream job was to work as an artist for Wizards of the Coast or some book publisher for fantasy books and things like that to be the person who illustrates book covers for fantasy novels. P:  I even went so far as to get a dinky associates degree in Visual Arts, but found I couldn't handle the pressure of school at a university level.  The starving artist/student thing really does not work for me at all.  I also have mental blocks in regards to combining art and computer technology so it stunts my ability to get stuff out there.  I won't be going back to college though.  It definitely is not for everybody.

My dream job still hasn't really changed besides adding on that I also want to illustrate and write my own children's stories.  These days I just write and art out for my own pleasure.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Irkencat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • I love ponies!
    • View Profile
    • Irkencat's MLP Dream Land
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
Hello :D I study art photography now, used to work at Game Shop and a Pizza chef before that XD

My collection/sales/trades/wishlist etc. on my website:
http://irkencatsmlp.weebly.com/
My new FB MLP Collecting/News page:
https://www.facebook.com/irkencatmlp

Silent Lucidity

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 11:58:44 PM »
I uh, I'm in college at the moment..  :blush: But I do want to work in Hot Topic, or F.Y.E...Anything that sells fandom merchandise XD

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 12:49:34 AM »
I have a degree in Anthropology and a minor in Photography.  I was offered a job from the university I graduated from, but I had long since found I made better money working as a server, so I turned it down.  :/ 

I'm a still a server.  I was a bartender a few months back. 

I've never have wanted to be a teacher.  I did a bit of TA'ing through the college while I was still attending, but I wanted to rip my hair out most days because so many of the students were just so stupid.  I mean, basic grammar and spelling on a computer-aided paper escaped 70% of them. . .  An Anthropology degree DOES double as an English or Lit major degree because of the intensive writing and reading.  If you cannot write a grammatically correct paper, please do not apply. 

I'm working on a series of novels in my downtime and hoping in the next few years to get them published.  I've yet to attempt to, but I told myself I would write the first three before I attempted such to make sure I would not need to retcon anything, and if I did need to, I could. 

Anyways, in the near future, I would like to be back on bartending.  I had to quit my bartending job because of a two vehicle accidents in one week.  I had to take a job at a lower strain job which meant a return to serving 'full time.'  There's not even a bar at this restaurant.  Just a beer and wine cooler.  Miss it so much.  I still prefer it over retail and cubicle work.  I get to stay on my feet and move around and the money is way better for the most part if you have a good attitude and are good at multitasking. . .  I work around 20hrs a week ( it's the most I can manage with my injuries ) and in a bad week I bring home about $300 in tips, and a good week, I can make around $600.  I make about $50 in paychecks each week after my taxes get taken out, hahaha.   

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 12:49:40 AM »
I've always loved animals and have worked in Wildlife Rehab, field research, etc. I was a Zookeeper in the US up until last year when I moved here to Sweden. It's much more difficult to get back into my field here than I thought it would be, so I'm currently unemployed and taking Swedish classes. Once I'm better at Swedish I will have a better chance at getting back into the wildlife field in my new country. ^-^

I do not like being unemployed. I'm 33 and, until now, have always had a job since I was 16 years old (be it animal-related or simply food service). So, not the happiest at the moment, but I'm working towards my goal! ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »
I have a degree in Anthropology and a minor in Photography.  I was offered a job from the university I graduated from, but I had long since found I made better money working as a server, so I turned it down.  :/ 

I've never have wanted to be a teacher.  I did a bit of TA'ing through the college while I was still attending, but I wanted to rip my hair out most days because so many of the students were just so stupid.  I mean, basic grammar and spelling on a computer-aided paper escaped 70% of them. . .  An Anthropology degree DOES double as an English or Lit major degree because of the intensive writing and reading.  If you cannot write a grammatically correct paper, please do not apply. 

I'm working on a series of novels in my downtime and hoping in the next few years to get them published.  I've yet to attempt to, but I told myself I would write the first three before I attempted such to make sure I would not need to retcon anything, and if I did need to, I could. 

Anyways, in the near future, I would like to be back on bartending.  I had to quit my bartending job because of a two vehicle accidents in one week.  I had to take a job at a lower strain job which meant a return to serving 'full time.'  There's not even a bar at this restaurant.  Just a beer and wine cooler.  Miss it so much.  I still prefer it over retail and cubicle work.  I get to stay on my feet and move around and the money is way better for the most part if you have a good attitude and are good at multitasking. . .  I work around 20hrs a week ( it's the most I can manage with my injuries ) and in a bad week I bring home about $300 in tips, and a good week, I can make around $600.  I make about $50 in paychecks each week after my taxes get taken out, hahaha.   

I'm sure you know this, but bad grammar or spelling does not at all make someone stupid. I personally know someone who works with NASA who is a brilliant scientist with the absolute worst spelling and grammar you've ever seen in your life. Okay, maybe not that bad, but worse than I've seen anyone write on this forum I think.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 01:33:23 AM »
At this point im working in childcare, I have my diploma but working towards my bachelor degree and eventually want to go on and complete my Phd in philosophy. Im a kinder teacher at the moment but was originally (3 weeks ago) running the older nursery room with 18month olds to two year olds. I do love my job but want to eventually teach adults, I have poor hearing and industrial deafness so won't be able towork with cchildren forever, but still want to make a difference in childrens lives in some way, I think I can reach more children by working with adults that want to get into the profession.

I also would like to work with additional needs children before I go into working with adults. I have some additional needs children I am currently working with, and have worked with them previously but want to specialize in it for a while before teaching adults as its a passion of mine. I seem to bond easily with children with learning difficulties, or that have autism or physical barriers. There is so much potential in these children, its just a matter of figuring out how to unlock that potential :)

Before deciding on childcare & education, I was in security for eight years, mainly on military bases but did a bit of everything. Hated it so decided to find something I actually wanted to do.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »

I'm sure you know this, but bad grammar or spelling does not at all make someone stupid. I personally know someone who works with NASA who is a brilliant scientist with the absolute worst spelling and grammar you've ever seen in your life. Okay, maybe not that bad, but worse than I've seen anyone write on this forum I think.

Bad grammar and spelling is not excuse on a computer-aided paper.  Many of these papers were papers the students had a month or more to work on.  Where they had access to writing labs and proof-readers who could help them.  Students who had absolutely no cognitive disabilities what so ever.  Yet, here I was, with moderate dyslexia, grading their papers.  A lot of times, I'd be so busy, I'd have to turn my OWN paper in only a few hours before deadline, when I had likely started the paper either the night before or the day of.  I could still use proper grammar and spelling.  So, whether it was the case of the lazies or sheer ineptness, they were still stupid to be turning in COLLEGE papers like they did when they knew that 50% or more of their grade was based on how well they could write given the field is a WRITING field and had many, many options to make sure they turned in a grammatically and accurate paper. 

That said, it's true, grammar and spelling doesn't make someone stupid.  My mother has SEVERE dyslexia, it's very hard for her to write, but she can still write better than many of the students whom I used to grade for.  A woman who did but one year of High School because she got tired of being failed over and over because of the dyslexia.  ( And she is very intelligent.  Great with animals, plants and antiques, she knows so much! )  Again, I'm speaking from a college situation where the students were well aware how much these things mattered and they certainly had options to make sure these papers came out well.  They didn't.  Sure, it was the case of the lazies, but because they were putting something off as serious as college to be lazy and just not care about such things made them very stupid. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Let's keep this thread on topic please and not get into a discussion about what does or doesn't make a person intelligent. Thanks.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
I educated myself in art history, English, Japanese, French, Spanish, basic 2D and 3D animation, and fine arts, but that is pretty useless unless you are a "starving artist" so I turned myself to retail/food service/cake decorating to be able to get more work experience. 

I am a member of the Association for Fundraising Professionals - I work at a local charity in the fund/resource development office.  :D

However, I never realized how much my basic high school education would come in handy in the end, despite all the school.   All of my  professions required exquisite writing skills to be able to get your point across, so it really helps that I did very well with any composition I was ever assigned, no matter the style.  ;)  From a thesis to a memo about the latest cake order!  And now I write convincing arguments to help raise funding for charities dealing with providing basic humanitarian services.  I think I'm doing well! 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:30:25 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
I'm a teacher - though currently unemployed due to a reduction in force last year (thanks, state of Illinois and your horrible budget). 

I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger but steered away from it due to poor pay.  I went into business and received my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration with Marketing and Management specializations.  I went into budgeting and contracts in the aerospace and defense industry where I worked for multiple years until I decided that (even though I loved the money and the company) I was miserable.  I wanted to teach.

I stepped down from my position and immediately starting substitute teaching while I entered a teaching certification program.  I eventually received my teaching certification and my Masters in Education.  I obtained a high school teaching position for two years before our district just couldn't deal with the budget cuts in education anymore...three teachers, three teacher's aides, and three school sports were eliminated.  Unfortunately, at least in Illinois, this is all too often of a reality.

I truly believe that in 5 - 10 years there may be teaching positions more readily available.  I can't speak for all states, but they redid the testing for entrance into the teaching programs in Illinois to make them much more difficult to pass.  This will keep a lot of people out of the program so there will be more jobs available to those who do make it.  Also, you may want to consider what subject(s) you want to be endorsed in.  Electives (like business, consumer & family science, wood shop, art, etc.) are being eliminated left and right in favor of a more "core subject" based curriculum...which is highly unfortunate for teachers in those fields - and it's especially unfortunate for the students who are being denied the opportunity to take those courses.  It honestly seems like the only postings out in Illinois are for math or science teachers. 

Keep in mind that teaching (like many fields) is a who-you-know type of atmosphere.  If you want to teach, start making and maintaining positive contacts ASAP.  It seems like whenever there is even a slight possibility of a job for me, I find out that so-and-so is applying and they are the superintendent's niece or the girlfriend of the guy who is department head, etc.  It may not be fair, but unfortunately I find the teaching field is horrible about this. 

All of that aside, I love teaching.  Sure the students drove me crazy sometimes (but what do you expect from high schoolers), but I loved it.  You'll always have those kids who "hate" your class and might "hate" you, but those feelings of disappointment are always overridden by the kids who love your class and love you...the kids that come to see you in the mornings or hang out after school to tell you about their day or ask for advice (even when you are trying to leave, lol.  I spent many extra hours after school when I could have been home...but I was honored these kids were willing to stay at school longer to talk to me and confide in me).  That's something that will stay with me always - even if I'm never able to get back into teaching.  One girl I had (who was always in trouble, in ISS, skipping school, etc.) told me towards the end of my last semester..."You know, I never even thought of going into business EVER...but seriously after this class, I want to."  She also told me that she hated all female teachers because she just never could get along or relate with them, but I "am a freakin awesome person and made class fun."  :) It's little stuff like that that makes you smile.  That's when you realize that all of the times you struggled with unruly and obnoxious behavior is well worth those positive comments you will inevitably receive.  Teaching is truly one of the toughest - but most rewarding - careers.

If you have a dream to be a teacher, pursue it.  I miss my students so very much.  I get random e-mails from them from time to time, and it's so funny how they always seem to e-mail me whenever I'm feeling like I made a bad decision to go into teaching (due to the unemployment issue right now lol).  It always lifts my spirits and makes me realize that even if I never do teach again, I at least got to touch the lives of a lot of students already. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal