collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What profession do you have/want?  (Read 6235 times)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
Re: What profession do you have/want?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
I had my perfect job, but I recently had to quit.  :( I just traveled airport to airport helping where they were short. I could be working in Denver one day and Elmira, NY the next. I am trying to figure out what I want to do now. I'm not sure what that may be. I would love to stay in the travel industry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
Growing up I always thought I'd be a veterinarian. Once I started college I found that though I love animals I just wasn't dedicated enough to animal science studies and ended up with an AA in art. I found other ways to work with animals though. I've done everything from working in specialty supply & big box pet stores, to animal shelters, to grooming. I've been a professional groomer since 2007. That said, I've been unemployed since the end of last year. I quit my latest contract grooming job for a variety of reasons but have now realized that I've gotten a bit bored of it after all these years and maybe I'd like to get into something slightly different when I go back to work.
I was once told by my college public speaking instructor that "You are going to be a teacher." really just out of the blue, and that's always kinda sat on me since. I think I'd enjoy teaching either art or literature in a college setting. What's stopping me from going back to school is 1. I feel it's a waste of $ unless you are very dedicated to obtaining a certain career and need a degree for it. 2. My husband is in the military and our life has just been a load of uncertainty and craziness since he joined. After so many years in the pet industry I'm not sure I could abandon it either.
So, for now I'm a stay at home wife. (Husband doesn't really care. Extra $ would be nice but he makes enough to pay bills, etc. He often works 60+ hr/week so he'd rather I was home to take care of the household stuff & so we can have quality time together when he's home, not having constant scheduling conflicts.) I've got my eyes set on getting a part time job at a certain pet supply store soon, or just volunteering at my local shelter (because after over 6mo of not working I'm starting to lose my mind a bit). This time next year we will be moving. I can't really get into anything serious right now. I feel like I'm at a standstill in my career, backtracking even, which is frustrating but I really don't have much of a choice until next year.

Offline FluffleNuff

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • ME MYSELF AND PONY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »
I'm currently a student, but I've always wanted to be a zookeeper and work with those beautiful animals, or even work as their vet!

Another passion of mine would be being an actress, but we all know that wont pay :) (OR SO EVERYONE THINKS...)

And then there's the never ending passion to be a famous rapper and singer HAHAHA
A PONY A DAY KEEPS THE SMILES ON YOUR FACE

Offline Prideth

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Rainbow Sparkle Pony Power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
I have a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering.  Huge ole' nerd right here.  Right now, I'm a team lead for a group of engineers and programmers working on an automated software tool. 

Do I like my job?  It's ok. The work is never really the problem so much as the people.  Having a lot of different personalities to contend with can really make your work seem harder.  But when you ask if it makes me happy?  Again, it's ok!  I don't show up to work because it's fun and exciting.  I show up because every two weeks they pay me and I can leave work to do the things I do find fun and exciting!  A means to an end. 

Teaching has it's own rewards, some people really have a passion for that.  My mother is a teacher, although she has told me that certain age groups make her want to strangle them (middle school).  My husband is hobby writer, he keeps a little leather journal of ideas and bits and pieces of character building and plot forming.  He enjoys it as a side thing, but that's another thing that has to be something you dedicate a lot of time to!  Interesting to me, but I know I could never form a coherent plotline that anyone would read.   
:silly:

Wishlist    Trade  Prideth Reference Sheet

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
The fist thing I wanted to be when I was little was an artist and a bit later a palaeontologist. For some time I was convinced I'll definitely work with computers, but I'm studying environmental sciences! It's really diverse, interesting and I've learned a lot about world in general in only one year, but I don't see myself in this career. I love the fact that I can take many palaeontological (is that the word?) elective classes and even major in it instead.
Currently, I'd like to be some kind of an artist (again heh :) ) and I'm hoping to study Japanese when I get my masters. I could teach or translate (recently I've discovered that I love good translations and I'm always subconsciously translating from English or Japanese hehe).

Snix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
Wanted to be an archeologyst since i was a kid, licensed in history and now i work as an archeologyst

Could say that i had luck in the life.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »
Oh, and forensics.  I want to do something with forensics. 

Offline renaekathleen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »
I currently work as a vet assistant in a small vet clinic :) I will be starting my second year in veterinary technician school this fall :D I also have a bachelors in animal science. I love what I do and can't wait to be more involved in saving animals :)

I used to be a tech too! Unlicensed, though. I loved it, but the stress (I worked emergency/critical care and exotics) and the terrible pay forced me out. Now I am a front-end web developer and I love it.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
I am a secretary at a prison.   I really wish I was ambitious enough to get my degree, because now that I have my foot in the door, I'd like to be a case manager or a probation & parole officer.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
I'm a house wife and perfectly happy with that I guess.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
I'm a freelance illustrator (have both my BFA and MFA in Illustration), and I also teach after-school art classes to kids from my home studio.  It's the perfect job really, since I do have four kids, so I can work from home, yet be there for my children and not have to pay the crazy cost of daycare.

My husband is also an artist - he's a character TD in the video game industry.  His current project is working at Sledgehammer Games under Activision for the latest Call of Duty title, called Call of Duty:Advanced Warfare.  Here's somel trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFu5qXMuaJU   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRUZ9p4oYQ

He was in charge of the facial pipeline for the game - so all final heads had to go through him.  And he directed the shoots for the motion capture footage for the major characters of the game. 

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »
Anything in the law enforcement field.  Forensic investigator, crime scene tech, detective, possibly patrol officer... Right now I'm aiming for something on the federal level, either something with the FBI, ICE, or DEA working closely with computers and collecting/processing digital evidence.

I have an AS in CrimJ as well as a certificate in CSI, currently busting my rump for my BA in CrimJ with a minor in intelligence, looking to go on and get my MA in CrimJ and minor in computer information systems. (I really don't mean to brag I'm just really proud of my accomplishments D:) I'm gonna be in debt until I'm 80 :D

Right now I'm just working at my school as an office lackey. xP

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:25:50 PM by Kaeldre »

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

BlazePony84

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Ooh, ooh, I'm gonna be a teacher!  I'm a stay-at-home mom at the moment, but I'm going back to school in the fall, studying to be a high school choir teacher!  It's gonna take at least 3-4 years, if not more (music majors have a LOT of classes they need to take), and I'm probably gonna get my Master's right after my BA because a lot of states require a Master's now to teach h.s.  Really looking forward to it, though!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
Well I did not know what I wanted to do when I got out school. I did get into school and going to be a e-ray technician. But I found out I was going to have a baby and that fell threw. That was 13 years ago and I still have not gone back to school. That is ok with me, cause I don't know what I would want to do and I don't want the debt either.   

I have been at my job for 7 years now and just got another raise. I am making the most that I ever could with out going to school. I am a mental health aid and work for the state were I live. It does have its ups and downs but I still enjoy it. As for the future I am not sure what I want to do. As for right now I am going to keep doing the same and just get my savings account up. Oh ya and I work part time due to being smart with my money in the past few years.   

blushingflutters

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I would love to go into marine biology! Not sure I'm smart enough for that sadly, I'm terrible with chemistry and math. I do love biology though. Bu tI'm pretty sure complicated numbers are involved in there somewhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal