collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Arena Interview - Starbrightsprinkles!  (Read 184 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Arena Interview - Starbrightsprinkles!
« on: February 03, 2023, 06:12:52 AM »
This week I wanted to interview long time member and super pony person who has the best pics, starbrightsprinkles! Thanks so much!

Personal Interview-

Where did you get your user name?

My former user name was a nickname that a cousin gave me when we were young teens. As I recently found out it's a slur against a certain culture/ethnicity, I opted to change. Starbrite Sparkles is sort-of the predecessor of the PJ Sparkles doll. I had both dolls, and I think I wore out my PJ Sparkles VHS from watching it so much as a kid. And Sprinkles because I love baking, cupcakes mostly. And most of my creations have sprinkles.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

How old are you?

Do you go to school or work?

I work from home.

What are your hobbies?

Singing, reading, baking, napping, collecting/customizing.

Do you have any pets?

One dog, one cat, and one bearded dragon - Thor, Luna, and SpikeBob ScalyPants (Bob, Bobo, Bobby), respectively.

What do you like/dislike about yourself?

I struggle with this a lot. It is often hard to like myself. I like my hair. I like my eyes. I like my curiosity and desire to never stop learning. I try to be a good person and love my family and friends fiercely. I dislike my anxiety and depression and the way they are constantly at war with each other. I try very hard to NEVER say anything bad about my physical features in front of my children, no matter how I really feel. My son tells me every day that I'm beautiful, and my daughter often calls herself my mini-me. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, and I don't want her to ever think "ugly" or "fat" when she looks in the mirror.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I used to want a fancy house on the beach in Hawaii. As I age, I'm embracing the idea of leaving society and becoming a forest witch more and more.  :lol:

Do you collect anything other than ponies?

Barbie, Care Bears, Monster High, books, other '80s-'90s girls' toys that strike my fancy or that I had as a kid.

Ponies-

How long have you been collecting ponies?

I've always had ponies as long as I can remember. I've been actively collecting for about 25 years.

Why did you start collecting ponies?

When we first got internet access at home in 1998, MLP was one of the first things that I searched for on Yahoo!. I found the Trading Post but didn't register an account until 2005. I also found Dream Valley, which opened up a world of ponies that I didn't know existed and allowed me to catalog my childhood collection. I became a co-founder of the Bolt.com My Little Pony Girls group and am still friends with several of the girls I "met" in that group. I gradually became as obsessed as I had been as a small child and wanted more, more, more. When G3 was announced, my collecting really took off.

Who is your favorite pony and why?

Sparkle Pony Twinkler. She was one of my favorites as a child, and she still is. Purple, glitter, rainbow tinsel. She's the whole package of things that I love!

Who is your least favorite pony and why?

I am not at all fond of G4.5 and only have a few in my collection, Gusty, Fizzy, Potion Nova, and the first set of ring blind bags. I don't like the style at all, but it may grow on me 20 years from now like G2 did.

Who is your favorite pony from another country?

Greek Ladybird, Brazil Bow-Tie, Brazil Milky Way, Takaras. I have Rapunzel taste and Peachy pocket money. LOL.

Who is your favorite fakie?

I don't collect fakies, but Totsy unicorns - I saw a white one with rainbow hair once that is goals! I also enjoy the silly expression G4s from AliExpress and TaoBao and those $2 Hairmazing unicorns from Walmart.

Who was your first pony?

I don't know for sure. I don't have any memory of not having ponies in my life. Blossom is the pony I'm pictured with first, and Starshine is the earliest memory that I have of buying. My parents have no idea, so I usually just say it was one of those two.

What pony did you get recently?

G5 Hitch, I think.

What is your favorite generation?

G1 is what I grew up with, so it's always number one.

What is your favorite part about collecting?

The collecting itself, obviously, and the friendships that I have made, whether or not we've ever met in person, over the last 20+ years.

How big is your collection?

MLP Merch tells me 1,400+, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

What do your friends and family think about your collection?

They don't really say anything and accept it. They don't embrace it, but they also don't ridicule. My sister is the most supportive and tries to remember what I have to buy me gifts. My husband knows far more about MLP than he ever cared to or will readily admit.

Do you still play with your ponies?

I play with my daughter with her ponies. Mine get a spa day and look pretty on the shelves.

What rare or popular pony makes you ask why!?

Ugh. Mimic. And not because she's ugly because I love her and want her in my collection. The Golden Horseshoes has always been a favorite episode. I just don't understand why, when she is so frequently sold, she is so expensive.

If you had to have a pony symbol tattooed on your butt, which would you pick and why?

Who says I don't already have one?  ;) I kid, I kid. It would likely be a vanilla cupcake with rainbow star-shaped sprinkles and a cherry on top.

If you could have any pony remade in a different generation, who would you choose and why?

Hm... I usually just customize whichever I think about. G5 definitely needs a Cupcake. Every other gen has had one. (She may be in the new show. I've not watched it yet.)

What has been the worst part about collecting?

Inflation. I often feel that I'm being priced out of the hobby.

What is your ultimate collecting goal?

Complete the G1 North American releases and the G3 collection.

What is your biggest collecting accomplishment?

I would say winning Rapunzel for $5, but that's more luck than anything that I did. Starting the Southwestern PA Meet and making many more great friends because of it.

What is your biggest collecting regret?

I think that one of my childhood Petite ponies accidentally ended up in my sales bin and got sold at the 2013 MLP Fair. Mild regret, but stings for me since I have all of my childhood ponies.

Who is your grail pony and why?
Do you have it?

I don't really have a grail. I have goals, but no one is really the be-all-end-all for me.

Do you prefer loose or MIP ponies?

Loose, but one of my collection goals is to have all of my childhood ponies MOC/MIB.

Quick! Close your eyes and grab a pony! Who did you get?

Typo Blue Belle ornament. My entire collection is still in boxes in the basement after we bought our house last year.

Are you a customizer?
Would you ever be?

I am, and I wish I could find more time to do it.

What do you think of custom ponies?

It'd be hypocritical to say that I don't like them, but I do kind of find myself getting frustrated with all of the G1 alternate rehairs. These ponies are 30-40 years old and only getting harder to find. I'm seeing a lot that would benefit from a restoration rehair rather than an alternate. BUT... not my pony, not my business.

What are acceptable and unacceptable pony flaws, in your opinion?

UNACCEPTABLE FLAWS
major haircuts - matted hair - major paint rubs - permanent marks - chew marks/holes - large age spots/regrind and/or mold - odors - undisclosed alterations (ie. restoration work like rehairs or repaints) - broken mechanisms (ie. Brush n' Grow, Happy Tails)

ACCEPTABLE FLAWS
frizzy hair - <½ in. hair trims - surface dirt - small age spots (GREAT if they can be hidden) - broken neck seals - writing on feet - minimal tail rust if inside/washer is clean

Would you rather have a bait pony or a fakie?

Bait - restore or turn into something new.

Do you watch pony shows/movies?
Which ones?

Yes, I've seen all of the G1 movies and show, all of the G3 specials, most of Friendship Is Magic, and the A New Generation movie. I have yet to finish FIM and start the ANG show.

Do you read pony comics?
Which ones?

No, not really.

What is the worst thing you've ever done to a pony?

Split the head of a G1 baby the whole way up its hairline when rehairing. And I've done a lot of crazy things back in the day for Wolfie's Photo Hunts.

Fill in the blank!

"I wish Hasbro would have kept a better history of the line, mostly G1."

"When I was new to ponies I didn't know there were ponies exclusive to other countries that we never had in the US."

"I think the most underappreciated ponies are the BBE Babies because they're often in such poor condition that people can't see past their wonky eyes and crazy hair."

"I think more ponies should have glitter!"

"I don't like waking up some mornings and realizing that all of those awesome, never-before-seen ponies that I found at the thrift store were just a dream."

"I love the online community because of how close-knit and always willing to help one another we are."

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Interview - Starbrightsprinkles!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 08:14:23 AM »
I hate those awful pony dreams too. They never manifest when I wake up. BTW your lizard in his little outfit is super cute and funny. For a moment, i thought you were having us on by posting a stuffed toy. :lmao: Your other pets are cute too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:17:47 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
This is a really great interview! I'm happy you put the pictures in :)

I also feel like I'm being priced out of ponies. Argies were my favorite and they were affordable for me, but now... forget it. Even basic G1 are hard to find for a good price, or I should say, a fair price.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
Wonderful interview, thanks for including some pics too! I admit I still have trouble recognising you by your new username, but the new name is so cute. ^.^

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 03:49:41 PM »
yay!  good to read your interview!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 05:16:35 PM »
It was a fun and interesting interview! Lots of lovely photos included! Nice to get to know starbrightsprinkles! :frolic: When I was a little girl I really hoped to get that PJ Sparkles doll for Christmas! And I'm still hoping… :biggrin: Cute doll! :heart:
:zzz:

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 06:51:35 PM »
Awesome interview!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:06:43 PM »
This was so much fun to read & the photos added too xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 12:41:39 PM »
Nice photos! I have a black kitty too.  I also love how happy you are with your Blossom.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 06:30:41 PM »
Thank you for the interview! Your pets are adorable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal