collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: restoring sugar apple + bng brilliant bloom! (advice wanted!)  (Read 162 times)

Offline Peepersponies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
restoring sugar apple + bng brilliant bloom! (advice wanted!)
« on: December 20, 2022, 11:09:26 AM »
hello everyone!! this is my first real forum post so i hope im doing everything right- I've tried hard to double check and make sure I'm following all the etiquette, I'm sorry if I've missed anything!

Summary/ tldr: Can I sunfade Sugar Apple and Brilliant Bloom to help get rid of the yellowing on their bodies?

I recently found a few g1 ponies at a flea market and I've been working on cleaning up and restoring them. so far I've been really successful (I've given them both baths with dish soap and a little magic eraser, + conditioned their hairs) but now I've run into something I'd like some advice from more seasoned pony fans on! my brush and grow Brilliant Bloom and my candy cane ponies Sugar Apple both have slightly yellowed/dingy vinyl bodies, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to hopefully bring them back to their original colors!

I've heard sunfading can help with brightening up colored ponies, but I can only find detailed resources about fading white ponies so I'm hesitant to just go for it. Does anyone know if it could help in this case, and if these two might burn in the sun?

The exact color is hard to capture in photos but I tried my best, here they are! (+ before photos  ^.^) https://imgur.com/a/VWyfm5J
[formerly @fishkisser]

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: restoring sugar apple + bng brilliant bloom! (advice wanted!)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 12:13:29 PM »
I've sunfaded Sugar Apple and found that it reduced the yellowing and dinginess for around 1 - 2 years before it reappeared, even though kept in the dark/artificial light. This is pretty common, which is why I don't bother sunfading any more unless to remove a specific photosensitive stain. I haven't sunfaded Brilliant Bloom, hopefully someone else can advise you. Just a note to say that some white ponies can actually go brown if sunfaded. The Apple Delight Family, Majesty's head, Starshine and Cherry Sweet spring to mind. If the dinginess is just around the hooves and ear tips though you could try a magic eraser to lightly spot-treat these areas, staying away from paint and finishes.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 08:05:40 AM »
My understanding is that Sunfading any color can be done (with risks), but if the yellowness returns anyway I wouldn't feel pressed to do so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Peepersponies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:29:22 AM »
thanks so much for the advice guys!! I didn't know sunfading was a temporary fix, so that's good to know before i go through too much trouble trying to do it on these guys lol!! I'll probably try going back to the most yellowed areas with the trusty magic eraser  :)
[formerly @fishkisser]

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
Weird. I sunfaded by Magic Hat and she's still bright white? Then again, it was the power of the Florida sun (she was gleaming white after 3 days on a car dash). So maybe that makes a difference? It was probably... a good 9-10 years ago now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal