collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 collectors  (Read 320 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
G2 collectors
« on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:41 AM »
Hi all g2 collectors!

I have been finding some random ponies lately, but I don’t know much about these. I was too old for ponies (I thought!) when they first were released and when I started collecting we were well into the g3 line. So g2 went under the radar for me. I have figured out that some of them were not released in the US, but are there any of these that are more sought after than others?

When I started collecting g2 were not popular, and I’m wondering if that has changed? Are there more collectors of these now?
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: G2 collectors
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 05:17:17 AM »
I'm not an expert on G2, so hopefully someone else will give you more info.

Most G2s were not released in the US. As far as sought after, there are some, yes. The babies are very hard to find and typically go for a lot, some are harder to find then others. Hip Holly has always been sought after. I believe there is an alternate Ivy that is very sought after too.

There are definitely more G2 collectors than there used to be :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 05:32:02 AM »
There are definitely more G2 collectors now :) (and if only Hasbro gave this gen more credit). You can see this very well in the increase in G2 prices.

The 1997-1999 ponies were released world wide. The 2000-2003 ponies were mostly EU exclusives (and those are generally the more expensive ones).

Some of the later ponies are more htf than others, for example:
Magician Diamond Glow
Golden Glow II (great naming ;) )
The sailboat (best.set.ever.)

There are 3 very HTF variants that go for $100+ in general.
-Spanish variant of the MO Seabreeze
-Blue haired variant of 2002 Blue Pearl
-Blonde haired variant of 2002 White Pearl

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »
Thanks! I didn’t even know they had variants in the g2 line. Are these considered nirvanas too? Specific to regions/countries?

Does anyone know of websites that are knowledgeable on g2?

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 01:13:39 PM »
Check out the link in Moonbreeze's sig ;)

http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 03:06:20 AM »
Check out the link in Moonbreeze's sig ;)

http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/

Thanks! Look great and very informative :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 08:24:25 AM »
Thanks! I didn’t even know they had variants in the g2 line. Are these considered nirvanas too? Specific to regions/countries?

No, they are not considered Nirvanas. The Nirvana term applies to G1 ponies only :) Perhaps the prototypes could be considered under the Nirvana umbrella?

I really didn't like G2 ponies for a while, they "ruined" ponies for me as they were not at all like the G1's from my childhood that I adored. This changed about 2 years ago and I now have a real soft spot for the G2 ponies, the colours are great, the poses are animated, the babies are adorable and they had some neat "gimmicks" the G1's did not get (glow in the dark hair anyone?). I even have Silver Swirl on my phone case (bought of Rebubble).

Moonbreeze's site is great, it is my go to webpage for everything G2, she even makes the most amazing customs.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 11:33:43 AM »

No, they are not considered Nirvanas. The Nirvana term applies to G1 ponies only :) Perhaps the prototypes could be considered under the Nirvana umbrella?

I really didn't like G2 ponies for a while, they "ruined" ponies for me as they were not at all like the G1's from my childhood that I adored. This changed about 2 years ago and I now have a real soft spot for the G2 ponies, the colours are great, the poses are animated, the babies are adorable and they had some neat "gimmicks" the G1's did not get (glow in the dark hair anyone?). I even have Silver Swirl on my phone case (bought of Rebubble).

Moonbreeze's site is great, it is my go to webpage for everything G2, she even makes the most amazing customs.

Love pkw xxx

I had the exact same opinion about g2, and My reason for disliking them was the same too. I think they are cute now. I like some of the babies, and they have great accessories.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:18 PM »
I didn’t like G2s when they first came out. I pretty much ignored them.  Then a friend of mine went to Europe for 2 months and told me she had found “so many ponies” and was sending them to me.  As she had been traveling all over Europe, and had already been to some great pony hunting countries(Greece, Spain, etc), so visions of Ladybirds and piggy ponies danced in my head. 

What I got was box after box of G2s.  Fortunately many of them were babies - the twins with the little outfits.  As I’m a Ponywear collector, and an accessory collector, they really started to grow on me.  The babies were cute.  The adults had some crazy accessories.   I was hooked. 

A year or two later when I went to Europe, I found the only TRU in Paris(and several other toy stores besides), and I went absolutely nuts.  I’d go out empty handed in the morning, and come back with gigantic bags that barely fit in the elevator, filled with ponies.  I’d spend the evening opening them to collapse them so I could get them all home. 

A few years ago I finally completed my G2 collection(with all accessories, but minus the super rare variants).  I was lucky that I was active while they were in stores, and I mostly was filling in holes by the end.  Starting from scratch now would be nearly impossible, or at the very least would require lottery winning amounts of cash to complete.

Some of the big ticket G2s that haven’t been mentioned are the Click/Nosey and Study/Play baby sets. Both of those came with a French kid’s magazine, were only available in stores while the magazine was for sale, and are incredibly rare.  The twin baby sets(Slide, Tricycle, See-saw) are very hard to find, particularly the slide set.  The Mansion playset is quite rare. Basically, the later in the line you go, the harder the ponies are to find.  As the line progressed, less and less countries carried them.  In a very few places, G2s and G3s overlapped.  The final G2 releases hit shelves a few months before the first G3s. 

During the 1997 or 1998 Toyfair, they passed out a promotional item for the G2s. They were a set of 4 petite ponies.  They used the molds from the G1 Petites, but were of 4 G2 ponies. Those are incredibly rare, and almost never come up for sale.  They hit ebay for a couple weeks during and after Toyfair(I got mine for $35), and after that they were gone.  A set will come up every few years now and then.  I have no idea how much they currently go for,  but I’m sure it’s a lot.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 04:41:02 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 06:26:45 PM »
G2s came out when I was telling myself I didn't want Ponies, & I was also getting other stuff because I lost a LOT around that time...

So I didn't really see them until I got back into collecting Ponies in about 2005, but I thought most of them were cute & the playsets adorable. I also read some websites which said G2s were about 10-14, which fits their thin look (growth spurts). I say most because some mechanisms on them are a bit eyesore-ish...

I've loved G2 for as long as I've admitted loving Ponies
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 12:23:53 AM »
It’s really Nice to read about all the love for g2 :heart: It seems though that the ponies and the accessories are what makes them pricey? That they are a thought of as a package deal?

No wonder really as the accessories on these are truly adorable:)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 01:26:23 AM »
The accessories are popular, and can add a lot of value to some ponies(like the wing clips that came with some of the unicorns - it’s not an alicorn without them!), but a lot of the later ponies do hold some value on their own even without accessories. 

A lot of the price of the G2s is also down to the terrible distribution of the best part of the line.  The USA didn’t even get the babies!  I think we got access to Silver Swirl only ordering directly from Hasbro.  I don’t think she even hit stores in the USA.  They killed the line in the USA before all the good stuff came out, and they continued to reduce distribution bit by bit for the life of the line.  As time went on, fewer and fewer countries got the newest ponies.  Only an handful of European countries got the full line.  If you didn’t live in one one of them, and you didn’t have access to a very good toy store, you had to buy everything from a handful of sellers on ebay. I was an active pony collector for the entire run - from the first set hitting stores in the USA, to the last sets hitting just before the G3s came out. It was not easy to collect G2s even during peak availability.

The G2s had extensive accessories for even the most basic ponies from day one, so they were always a big part of the line. Now, I wouldn’t say all accessories were winners.  There were some pretty uninspired accessories out there! I’ve never been a fan of the whole gate thing, and the combs are almost universally worthless to actually comb hair. The entire line was pretty weird accessory-wise the first year(probably contributing to the death of the line so quickly in the USA).  But for an accessory collector, the G2s had *a lot* to offer.  I think the accessories and/or the babies are frequently what hooks a reluctant collector at first, and then people take a second look at all G2s have to offer.

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
That is true - for me it was Dreamer and Drifter. Just the names are worth it, but green baby ponies :heart: Then I found Teddy, Puff, Hip Holly (of course :lol:) and my fav Gardener. I mean she actually has garden accessories! I love to garden- so she hit home for me.

Do you know which countries had the entire line? I’m from Norway myself, and I do remember these ponies being in store but I was not that into ponies at the end of g2. Being 18ish I had different things to think about :lol: But I have no idea which ponies were sold here. I have found Nightglow at a flea market and I think she is a later one?

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 04:36:39 AM »
I think mainly France. Belgium maybe as well. And the Netherlands got a lot, but not all of them. I've never seen the Mansion or Sailboat here for example :)
Not too sure about Germany/ Spain/ Italy though

Yeah, accessories are why I like the line so much. My first one was Ivy, with the little headpiece and earrings (which I lost partially of course). But I always like the concept of the canopy bed not being a 'human' bed.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 04:41:35 AM by Moonbreeze »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal