collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To be in a box or not to be in a box...?  (Read 403 times)

Offline cosmospanda

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
To be in a box or not to be in a box...?
« on: June 30, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
Do you have a preference for collecting ponies, like do you prefer to buy the more expensive ones to be in a box? I'm torn because I'm starting my collection of G3s again and I know ponies have retained their value and then some ($65 for Sno'el on eBay in box!), but I also don't want to resell my ponies once I get them again. What is your preference: buy them new in box or are you okay with pre-owned?

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
Re: To be in a box or not to be in a box...?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:20:17 PM »
i personally dont mind either way- but i do tend to save backcards a lot of the time. the only ponies im planning to get that will stay in their boxes are ones such as the pop art, underwater art, junko mizuno art ponies- the ones with the really cool box art basically  ^.^
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 08:20:17 PM »
I bought a few G3s in box for the artwork or to make sure I have all the accessories. But then I get frustrated that I can't get them out.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:01:13 AM »
I prefer loose ponies but I have one G1 on card and a G3 in her box, it's the orange pop art pony, since the box is kind of part of the whole design. I want the Egyptian G3 who I would keep in her box. Also for the time being I am keeping the G5 variety packs on the box/card. I will probably remove them at some point though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline StarryEmerald24

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 06:52:04 AM »
I'm trying to keep certain sets in box or out of box based on likelihood of getting more like that so whole sets look nice together. I prefer G1s and G3s loose for that reason, though I did start buying a few G3 in box since those aren't hard to find, and am trying to keep a lot of G4 and G5 in box.

In box is nice because the pony stays clean and keeps their accessories. Loose is nice because you can fit more ponies in a space and you can actually play with and pose them. I don't ever plan on reselling my ponies either, though, but in box also helps there if only to say "my collection is worth such and such *proud collector moment*."

I used to keep some opened boxes for the art but I started throwing some out to save on space.  :sad: I did save the ones I liked the most but I do feel like I could have given those others to a backcard collector.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
I personally prefer them out of the box, because I would like to see them in their full beauty, especially if they were G1s or G3s, if I ever got any - I also don't follow the whole keep in the box thing.

However, I know that others do, so (having been advised by the people on this site, I think.) I hope that any ponies I get hold of are already out of their boxes, as it is unfair for me to take them out, due to the fact that their future owners may want them in boxes.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
I prefer them out of the box so I can handle them.  Boxed ponies are wasted on me and I go out of my way to avoid them.  I know they are more valuable in the box and I would be verrry tempted to open the boxes!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline SweetNightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 03:50:21 PM »
Most of my collection is second hand so I don't have too many items in the box (planning to sell most of it rn). But I usually open my ponies and other toys when I get them brand new.

There are three main reasons:
- Usually second hand ponies or brand new ponies with damaged boxes are much cheaper
- I don't have enough space for in box collection
- And the main one is I simply prefer to hold and brush my ponies

If I could I probably would want to have a big out of the box and in box collection since a lot of MLP boxes are so pretty.
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »
I prefer my ponies out of the box. I have a few ponies who I have kept boxed since I got them that way second hand for cheap, but I never actively seek out NIB ponies. For one they take up too much space for me, and second I like being able to handle my ponies.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »
I don't really like buying older and more valuable ponies MiB because I'd feel bad about taking them out, and I'd rather be able to style their hair and display them loose. For some of my ponies, I have kept their box, though.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline cosmospanda

• Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 07:56:14 PM »
Which ponies would you consider keeping MIB?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 12:29:52 AM »
I have both.

I don't really think there's a right answer as to which is best to collect. There is in my view a wrong answer, which is buying a MIP retired pony and removing it from the package - these are limited in quantity and every pony that gets opened removes the possibility of someone who wants a MIP one getting one down the line.

So I feel like it's better for people who prefer loose ponies to buy loose, and people who like MIP to buy MIP.

Especially true with G1, some of the MIP I own are the last known surviving examples.

I would say G2 is the same because it's also older and not as well distributed.

...G3 is more of a grey area because boxes can be opened carefully, ponies displayed and maybe put back. I don't really like it, so I would always say, if you want the pony loose, get the pony loose. Even for G3 now, since it's been more than 10 years since they were on store shelves. It's less destructive than with prior generations, but yeah. It's still potentially taking away from another collector the possibility of owning that pony MIP, because they're no longer being made.

Deboxing a pony that's still on shop shelves is different of course!

The above is all my opinion, rather than a concrete rule.

It's often said that a person can do as they like with a pony they own. This is true. But if you go out to deliberately buy a MIP pony and then open it, you are actively preventing another collector from buying and keeping that pony in package. If you buy it, they can't. If you open it, it's gone forever.

I see deboxing a retired pony as the same as having a mint loose pony and cutting off all its hair, or scribbling all over its body. It's permanent damage that can't ever be undone.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:32:14 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 09:51:42 AM »
I agree about de-boxing Taffeta, it makes me sad about it. I hope there is at least one MIP of each in the V&A museum of childhood, that I would love to ask! I'm thinking about my Basic Fun ponies because I'd love to get them out and comb out their tails at least, then put them back. But once opened I'm not sure whether it's worth keeping the box and then overall I question whether original packaging is the best place to store ponies anyway. I don't really have room to buy two of each but it's tempting!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 11:38:06 AM »
Personally, unless the box is particularly interesting in some way or it's an exclusive (which happen to often be the ones with the most unusual boxes, too, come to think of it), I prefer them out of box - it saves space and if I chose to display them, they look nice when they're standing next to each other. I also just enjoy handling them and interacting with their manes (I find brushing their manes quite relaxing and feeling a smooth mane is nice) which unfortunately isn't possible in box.

However, if a pony is still boxed when I purchase them, and the pony is retired, then I'd keep them in box for the reasons mentioned above, though I'd generally opt for one without a box.

So, I am on Team Out-Of-Box!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:22:49 PM by TheClassCalico »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
I was bad when I was younger.  I have a MOC Nightglider and Chief.  I love looking at the ponies offered in pamphlets. I made a slit at the bottom of each and took out the papers. I didn't know way back then that Nightglider would become so sought after.  I feel bad I devalued her.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal