collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Commercial Archive (Now on MLW)  (Read 682 times)

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
MLP Commercial Archive (Now on MLW)
« on: March 14, 2022, 05:57:44 PM »
I don't know if anyone remembers the little commercial archiving project I started a while ago, but I've been keeping up with that. Somehow I completely forgot that the original reason I wanted a MLW account was so I could update the commercials page and didn't remember until a couple days ago ^^;

But now I've gone through every commercial I had listed on my google doc and have updated the G1 TV Advertisements page on the MLW, as well as creating a G2 TV Advertisements page as well! I still have the Google doc (here), but I probably won't be updating it that much from now on, the wiki page is so much easier to keep track of. I've found a bunch more commercials since I last posted about this, so I hope people have fun going through them all ^^

Here is the G1 commercials page
And here is the G2 page
G3 page should be up in the next couple of weeks or so, whenever I get time.

I am still looking for new commercials to archive and higher quality versions of ones I have, in all languages, so if anyone knows of any I don't, I would be super grateful if you let me know!

Oh, and before I forget, there's something I would like advice on. I'm trying to clean up the audio and visuals of the commercials and upload them to a youtube channel (here), but I don't know what the general consensus is on reuploading what are technically other people's videos, even if I've edited them, credited the original upload in the description and the people who uploaded them in the first place didn't actually make the ads themselves. It's mainly for the future's sake, in case the videos I currently have linked are taken down, and to fix things like audio only coming out of one side, but I'm worried about like permissions and stuff, since there's no way some of the channels I found videos on will still be active after a decade or whatever, so I can't contact them. So, am I technically allowed to upload these and link to them, or should I just stick to the original ones I found and only link to the new ones if the original is taken down? Does this make sense?
Sorry that was a bit long-winded.

Oh, and would it be alright if I add the "missing commercials" section from my google doc to the bottom of the wiki page? Just to let people know what we're still looking for.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Commercial Archive (Now on MLW)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 11:47:04 AM »
Oh man this is absolutely amazing!! I can't wait to look through all of these, I've been dying to have a good binge through old commercials for SO LONG but wasn't looking forward to sifting through YouTube for them... oh man you even got the Spanish Kelloggs ad! this is amazing, omg, thanks for all the hard work!!

I think a missing commercials section would be a great idea, then we know what to look out for :D

Reuploading videos... hmm, that's a tricky one, isn't it. I think if it was me, I'd make an attempt to contact the original uploaders before you do reupload anything, that way even if they don't get back to you, at least you've made the effort to reach out to them, you know? And yeah definitely credit the original uploaders. If you do that then I think it'd be okay to reupload, since you said you're looking to restore them, so it's not like you're just doing a straight copy-and-paste reup.. if that makes sense. like, you're reuploading it for a purpose, not just for the hits or whatever. I agree these definitely need to be archived, you never know when a YT channel will go down or whatever.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 07:34:26 PM »
OMG, thank you for all that hard work!!

As far as the videos go, I would at the very least download them.

you never know when a YT channel will go down or whatever.

Thiiiiisss.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 11:24:41 PM »
I wish there was a big compilation of just the animated parts.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 04:10:49 AM »
Ooh, a UK lullabye nursery commercial :D I didn't see that one before.
This is a great resource :)

I'm going to suggest something I usually never suggest, which is to separate commercials by country not by language. It's a lot harder right now to pick out the UK commercials from the crowd, and actually, some of the foreign language ones were also UK commercials, just those are not in English.

Maybe subheadings under language for region?

Also it gives the opportunity to name the US ones as US, rather than default assuming that everyone will know that magically.

I have a tape full of US commercials somewhere but no way to digitise it unfortunately. I've regretted that for years, because the tape is US format and my system is all PAL and won't do it in anything but black and white.
It's great to see that there's now a solution.

I wish I knew what happened to the vhs which had a G2 commercial on. It's here somewhere :z I marked it and kept it particularly but...

I have copies of most of the UK commercials I know of, although they're not on my website. Just for the reasons stated above. Not that LN one though. One to add...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Rhaegar

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 04:47:14 PM »
Amazing work! I took a quick look and I could be wrong but I don't see this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGsF4GJVmc

And I think this one has slightly different words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56pga-iH_AQ

This one has the Pegasi & Unicorns commercial without the "collect them all" part at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5mk2c4-WRk&t=1499s

I collect these too so I always love to see new ones. I've never seen that version of the movie one with Tony Randall before.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 06:02:11 AM »
MLP G1 commercials are my favorites.

This is the full UK Ponywear ad. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbJcAHYK3k

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 09:36:31 PM »
I'm so glad that people are enjoying these! ^.^

Reuploading videos... hmm, that's a tricky one, isn't it. I think if it was me, I'd make an attempt to contact the original uploaders before you do reupload anything, that way even if they don't get back to you, at least you've made the effort to reach out to them, you know? And yeah definitely credit the original uploaders. If you do that then I think it'd be okay to reupload, since you said you're looking to restore them, so it's not like you're just doing a straight copy-and-paste reup.. if that makes sense. like, you're reuploading it for a purpose, not just for the hits or whatever. I agree these definitely need to be archived, you never know when a YT channel will go down or whatever.

I think I'll try to attempt to contact everyone that I can and if, after a month or so, they don't get back to me, I'll upload a version to my channel. If at any point after that they say no, I'll take it down. Does that sound alright?

I wish there was a big compilation of just the animated parts.

A potential summer project for me perhaps...

I'm going to suggest something I usually never suggest, which is to separate commercials by country not by language. It's a lot harder right now to pick out the UK commercials from the crowd, and actually, some of the foreign language ones were also UK commercials, just those are not in English.

Maybe subheadings under language for region?

I was thinking of organising them by region at some point anyway, so I'll try and do that when I get around to it. It's just a bit easier to start with sorting by language since I don't always know what country they're originally from.

Amazing work! I took a quick look and I could be wrong but I don't see this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGsF4GJVmc

And I think this one has slightly different words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56pga-iH_AQ

This one has the Pegasi & Unicorns commercial without the "collect them all" part at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5mk2c4-WRk&t=1499s

I collect these too so I always love to see new ones. I've never seen that version of the movie one with Tony Randall before.
MLP G1 commercials are my favorites.

This is the full UK Ponywear ad. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbJcAHYK3k

Ponyfan

Got all these added. Thank you so much!

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal