collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I can't keep track on my ponies...  (Read 682 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
I can't keep track on my ponies...
« on: January 30, 2022, 06:20:33 AM »
I get that it's a nice problem to have. I have found certain solutions too simplistic and then I try to do it myself and end up massively over complicating everything. And then it feels like work rather than a hobby! Do you keep a record and what do you do?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: I can't keep track on my ponies...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 06:35:26 AM »
i keep a spreadsheet but it's out of date because i sold off a large part of my collection. after we move and i unpack my ponies i'll update it. the main issue that i have with tracking my collection is i find that it makes me want to buy more. seeing the names of ponies that i don't have makes my collector brain want to fill in the gaps. it's the same reason i stopped working on my pony tracking site.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline honor_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 06:46:37 AM »
When I get a new pony I note it down in a journal and then moved to using a spreadsheet. I don't have a huge collection though. The columns I have are for name, body colour, mane colour, symbol, type (eg unicorn, dog, sea pony), sub-type (eg sweetheart sister, baby), gen/make (eg Basic Fun, remco, G1), when I acquired the pony.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 07:01:40 AM »
I refuse to keep track. Do I like it? Is it under $30 in value or was it one I badly wanted as a child? Do I have space to display it? Into the collection it goes! Once I get my shelves up, I will be limiting myself to only what can fit and be on display. No hiding them away in boxes like a crazy hoarder!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 07:10:31 AM »
I need to start keeping track too, since I've decided to have an Applejack army. I have a bunch of G4s but I can't remember which ones. My ponies are packed away right now but even when they were on display I had to always check to see what I had. I also forget what Argie sparkle ponies I have... Flutterby and someone else...

I would probably just keep a typed list on my PC.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:19:30 AM »
I just keep them all in one big Excel spreadsheet. Name, type (earth, unicorn, pegasus, etc), generation, notes (stuff like "Funko POP figure", "free w/ November 2015 magazine", "Diva pose version" etc). Mine's really unorganized (no categories or anything, everything's all lumped in together) but it serves its purpose!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 07:29:24 AM »
I just have them sorted by purchase date, the oldest to the latest
Inka Dinka Doo

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »
This is all so curious! :heart:

I refuse to keep track. Do I like it? Is it under $30 in value or was it one I badly wanted as a child? Do I have space to display it? Into the collection it goes! Once I get my shelves up, I will be limiting myself to only what can fit and be on display. No hiding them away in boxes like a crazy hoarder!

Lol and :lookround:

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 10:45:09 AM »
I have a spreadsheet...but I admit most of whagt I have in terms of G1 is in my head. Sometimes I misremember whether I have a pony, but usually only with ones that were originallly on my sister's list, thus in her collection. I have some of these but not others.

G2-3-4 I need the spreadsheet as I have no clue on about 75% of what I have with them. Especially G3.

But G1 has always been a brain-held list. Which is not always efficient but generally works for the most part.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 12:29:07 PM »
I try to mark off ponies in my collector's books, but I sometimes forget.  And then there are so many ponies, I forget who I have.  And for many years, my collection has been hidden away in boxes.  The last few years I've been getting display cases and putting the ponies out, but now I have ponies missing.  Baby Hopscotch, Baby NBBE Gusty and Rosette are missing, and I know I bought them and have them.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 01:19:41 PM »
I try to mark off ponies in my collector's books, but I sometimes forget.  And then there are so many ponies, I forget who I have.  And for many years, my collection has been hidden away in boxes.  The last few years I've been getting display cases and putting the ponies out, but now I have ponies missing.  Baby Hopscotch, Baby NBBE Gusty and Rosette are missing, and I know I bought them and have them.

Awh, I'd be sad if I thought I'd lost those ponies too  :( I hope they turn up!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
Name
Species
Set
Generation

I have over 100, but still not that many.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline goddessofpeep

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 01:35:35 AM »
I have a massive collection, and being disorganized became a huge issue.  Due to the size of the collection, and the lack of a laptop(I have a desktop, but nothing portable, and dragging the ponies to the computer is not feasible), I scoured the internet for checklists years ago, and I keep a binder of printouts.  I hope to get a laptop someday so I can being things into the current century.  Until then, it’s my binder. 

The binder has the number owned of each pony, a general description of the conditions of each pony(scored 0-5 with major flaws listed), the location of each pony(many ponies are in labeled bins, and I have several display cabinets), and a reference to the page number of the reference books I have(I sometimes get names confused for sets I’m less familiar with).

The idea behind the system is to reduce the need to crack open bins since it’s such a pain to check for random ponies, and to make finding them much easier when I do want to do something with them.  Should I ever move into a house with a decent sized pony room, I won’t need any of this.  Until I move into a house with some space, I’m stuck with bins and my binder.

It’s not perfect.  The checklists are incomplete - I have very little for non-USA ponies. The reference books have a few mistakes in them.  The odd pony slips through the cracks.  I’ve got nothing at all for my accessories.  It’s a work in progress.  I hope to upgrade it sometime soon, but for now it’s cut down on collection mistakes(re-buying, mixing trade items with collection, etc).  It’s also made checking things a lot less painful to have the locations listed out and confirmed.  I used to have to tear the entire house apart to find things.  Now I have a list! 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:47:08 AM by goddessofpeep »

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »
I had not thought about cataloguing my G3s. I rely on the remains of my wishlist on the Arena for G3. G4 is a tough one because of all the versions. I don't think I have it in me.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »
The MLPmerch.com database is really helpful for keeping track of which ponies you have, because it’s picture based and you can just put a check mark next to ones you have and a heart next to ones you don’t have/want. No need for excel! It might make keeping track of your collection feel less like a chore. It’s not great for tracking doubles, though there is also a notes section for each pony, so you could put that info there, as well as details on condition if you like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal