collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair curl value question  (Read 680 times)

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Hair curl value question
« on: August 14, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »
So a little while ago I was lucky enough to get a Tux n Tails off of ebay. He's in fantastic condition overall, but his hair is kind of a mess. Usually I would just wash and brush hair like that and it would all be good, but in this case he still has some factory curls. Are original curls valuable enough that I should just leave his hair alone even though it's messy, or am I okay to fix up his hair without reducing his value too much?

I'm not planning on selling him any time soon, he was my grail pony and is possibly my favourite G1 overall, but I just want to know should I ever decide to sell him in the future, or in case I ever come across other ponies with factory curls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: Hair curl value question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
i think it depends on how messy. personally i think a pony with clean, styled hair is better than messy, original hair. it may depend on the collector though but i don't think you'll lower the value.

congrats on getting your grail pony :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »
How messy we talking? If you think you can just brush it out, do so from the bottom up, do it gently and with the hair slightly damp. Then you can try to "re-fresh" the original curls by scrunching the hair in the palm of your hand, supporting the curls, while the hair is wet (but not dripping wet). If he needs a full shampoo and condition, I think if you're gentle enough you still might be able to salvage some of the curl.

That said - I'm a big advocate of "your pony, your rules" and that the point of a collection is to bring you happiness. So if his hair really bothers you, fix it up however you like :)

edit: As far as value it would depend on the buyer. I would not mind fixed hair, and if it was messy would probably fix it myself. Other people wants ponies in as original condition as they can get even if it means terrible hair, rubbed symbols, etc. I think Tux 'n Tails is sought after enough that if you ever sell, no matter what his hair looks like, you won't have any problems.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:12:14 PM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »
I think you could probably neaten the curls up without damaging them, like BlackCurtains says.  Start brushing at the bottom very carefully.  I usually use cold water and a bit of conditioner and that doesn't seem to harm factory curls.  BC gave great drying advice too.  And there are some tips on mlp preservation project website as well.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 12:32:20 AM »
I agree with this about styling gently with cold water and a little conditioner. Also I try to look at a mint or mint in package pony to see how the hair should look. Comb out a section and wrap it around your finger to get the curl, try to get it going in the right direction and leave flat to dry.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 12:43:11 AM »
If you intend to sell the pony, it's probably better not to damage the curl more than you can help. It takes time and patience but it is possible to comb the curls without losing the original styling.

If it were your own pony to keep that may be different, but there are definitely collectors out there who value factory curl.

Recurling the hair would not be the same thing in that context, so it's better to work with the original styling as much as possible, or leave it to the new owner to sort out.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ScotchHop

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Another day, another pony.
    • View Profile
    • @Adventures_In_ponyland
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 01:22:05 AM »
Firstly, congrats on your Tux n Tails! He’s one of my Grails too!

If you are just doing a bit of a straw poll on preference, I have a strong preference for factory curls, no matter how messy! I have been able to preserve a few of mine with a gentle wash in tepid water and then scrunching them to let them dry as was, but I have a few I’d rather not chance, like Barnacle with a rats nest of gorgeous orange original curls  :lol:
:art: @Adventures_In_ponyland on Insta
Currently seeking G1s;
Cookery pony Cherry Sweet, Picnic Pony (sweet clover) and accessories, Rosette (prize day), Lemon Treats & Mint Dreams. See my ISO list here http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401816.0.html

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 02:04:01 AM »
Firstly, congrats on your Tux n Tails! He’s one of my Grails too!

If you are just doing a bit of a straw poll on preference, I have a strong preference for factory curls, no matter how messy! I have been able to preserve a few of mine with a gentle wash in tepid water and then scrunching them to let them dry as was, but I have a few I’d rather not chance, like Barnacle with a rats nest of gorgeous orange original curls  :lol:

You may know this but hair that colour is prone to disintegrate so I would probably also avoid combing it just in case. A good point that all ponys are different!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »
If you don't intend on selling, I would just try to preserve the curls using the methods mentioned. :) I don't tend to care much about them but it's always easier to have a sort of base to work off of, like when you stumble across messy curls on the candy cane ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal