collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 50338 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
Wow, that's Abbey? I thought it was Frankie at first too.

I don't really get why the Skulltimate series is so popular, I hate not being able to see the doll before I buy her :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #436 on: March 04, 2024, 02:05:00 PM »
Maybe Abbey will not be as dark a shade in release, but I honestly wouldn't have clocked that as Abbey OR Frankie at a glance. Seems closer to old school Ghoulia shade, unless I'm mistaken...

It's a pretty doll but...yeah, I dunno.

First Lala that doesn't have that annoying fringe thing going on. That's a plus. Not sure about the long bunches mind you.

I'm still not quite sure what it is about G3 Lala dolls that seems off to me, aside the fringe...just something.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2024, 05:34:53 AM »
I'm still not quite sure what it is about G3 Lala dolls that seems off to me, aside the fringe...just something.

For me it's the long arms and something about her constant side glace looks "bitchy" to me. I hate that word and would never use it on an actual girl but dolls are fair game, they're not real :lol:
I think her cartoon version looks so much cuter than the doll. Her proportions are nicer, facially and physically. Doll Lala is a bit Orang Utan.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2024, 08:09:48 AM »
I don't really get why the Skulltimate series is so popular, I hate not being able to see the doll before I buy her :/
This! I want to see if they have nice root jobs and face screenings first. It annoys me.

I’m liking Fearbook Lala and Twyla. Idk about the new wave of Skulltimates.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 05, 2024, 09:16:50 AM »
I think the easy answer for the Skulltimate series is "kids don't care". I doubt that but it's what I keep hearing: "Only adults can see if one eye is larger or one eye is smudged. Only adults can see if the hair is good. Kids don't care about moulded clothes. Kids don't mind having no articulation" and so on.

Btw, Mattel Creations is slowly brinhing back international shipping but only to select countries and it looks like they have trouble with the shipping service but of course, still no concrete answer.

March 21st, they are going to have an online event called "Mattel Revealed". Monster High is one of the brands involved, I wonder what it'll be. Probably just showing new products.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2024, 10:38:24 AM »
You're probably right, and that mindset drives me nuts >_< Kids DO care! They absolutely care!! I mean I'm sure some don't lol, but they probably wouldn't care as adults either, if that makes sense? I've always looked through toys to find the one with "the best face", maybe I wasn't looking at exactly the same things (or being quite as nitpicky :p) as I would now, but I know these blind packed dolls would absolutely annoy me just the same if they'd been around when I was little ~_~

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 06, 2024, 11:41:06 AM »
I hate it too.  Perhaps making it harder to pick means that fewer unsellable dolls get left on the shelves and QA gets a break.

I remember once thinking the single Scarily Ever After Clawdeen at my Target was oddly unappealing.  She stayed there forever.  I had no idea she was wonky and clearly lots of other people thought she was unappealing too because other Clawdeens would come and go and she stayed.   I don’t think it’s just collectors who notice.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2024, 12:33:20 PM »
I didn't mind my ponies when they didn't quite stand up right. I had a way to make Windy stand up using Majesty's horseshoe as an instep. That's an easy problem to solve.

But bad hair? Nope. The teeny weeny ponies here...some of them (the ones I had) have HORRIBLE hair. O.O. I never really adjusted to that...

:)

There are quite a few G1 ponies floating around with factory errors, so I guess that there were kids that didn't care. But I feel like you see more wrecked toys than factory flawed toys, ponywise.

Still never understood why things like reversed baby countalot symbols and the alternate hair rooting on baby Candy happened...

Back on topic to MH, I've never been a picky enough collector of the G1 to get really flappy about small flaws from the factory. If the eye is on the cheek, fair enough, but I genuinely looked for hair more than other things when I was buying them new or second hand. And hair gunk or mussy hair were big definite no things for me.

I have a couple of Jem dolls with hand issues. Ignoring the Mexican dolls, who have very delicate wrists and so often have hand damage, I have one Roxy with no hands and one Raya with two right? hands? Can't remember. Never really bothered about it. Roxy I used for a fashion I made, Raya was displaying some fashion or other - I kept her and sold a more 'normal' one because I figured I'd be the only one who'd want her. Both have great hair. Raya's is lovely and big.

I've a Skelita with knees that won't bend. She just sits on my shelf and I hang things off her feet (xD).

Her hair is fine though :D (You see a pattern).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2024, 05:39:18 AM »
A couple of concept arts appeared and I hope this Cleo will make it into some other line because I love her preppy like this! Frankie must be old, it's still using the first prototype.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 07, 2024, 12:23:17 PM »
Ooo that Cleo looks good! Maybe should have some more gold to balance the blue since gold is Cleo's colour, but her skirt is absolutely a winner!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 07, 2024, 02:47:37 PM »

Greenafire Long.

I'm so disappointed. She's green with golden pointy ears. I don't get it, she looks more like the Gremlins Skullector they did a while ago than Jinafire who was always so unique looking with her golden skin.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 08, 2024, 09:01:42 AM »
That prototype Cleo is so cute! I like Frankie's outfit too.

And wow... THAT'S Jinafire??? Wha... if you hadn't captioned it I genuinely would've thought it WAS Greta Gremlin. I don't get why they're keeping the name if they're going to change the characters so drastically?? At that point you might as well just go ahead and give them a whole new name...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 08, 2024, 11:27:41 AM »
Is it wrong to say I liked the greyish Frankie prototype than the Ghoulia colour rip?

Honestly that screen grab looks like the old aliens from the sims XD.

Maybe gold was too annoying for them to animate...I don't know. For me the pinnacle of Jinafire was the gloom and bloom release...it's a downhill slope from there.

Green is also Venus's colour. Why overlap? :/ They are still keeping Venus, aren't they? I thought that they were. I admit I didn't really like G1 Venus to begin with but she definitely won me over.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 08, 2024, 02:18:42 PM »
Taffeta, Venus will feature in the first batch of new episodes that will take place on Fearadise Island or whatever the new swim line was called. Animated Venus looks pretty much like her doll so I'm afraid that is the Jina we will get. People are calling her Greta Gremlin left and right, not just Carrehz, lol!

I wonder if the fan outrage will be enough for them to turn her golden again. Just like Cleo received Hissette later on because fans were mad (rightfully so), although it's too bad G3 Hissette doesn't hold the same importance as G1. In G1 Hissette was one of Medusa's strands of "hair", in G3 she is a random pet Cleo bought in a store.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 02:21:12 PM by Zapper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 09, 2024, 07:20:13 AM »
oh man I didn't realize how similar Venus and Jina's animated designs look before now! they even have the same ears, what the heck. The design is pretty cute besides the green, but the overlap is so weird.

Taffeta, I actually like the grey!Frankie proto quite a bit too. It doesn't exactly feel like Frankie to me, but I do like the face and colour combo... kinda wish they'd used that for another character.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal