collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you think that MLP should continue into new gens or should it end?

MLP should continue into new gens forever and ever until the end of time!
32 (46.4%)
MLP should continue into a few more gens, but not too many.
9 (13%)
I don't care. Either or is fine with me.
22 (31.9%)
MLP should end at G4.5 or G5/should have ended at G4. It was such a great gen, and so it should be the final gen.
2 (2.9%)
MLP should end, it's so bad!
4 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: March 02, 2021, 09:04:07 AM

Author Topic: Should This Be The End?  (Read 4817 times)

Offline PrincessRoyalBlue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Should This Be The End?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, or offend anyone, or be mean in any way or form, but WHICH TWO PEOPLE VOTED THAT MLP SHOULD END BECAUSE IT'S BAD??? ON THIS WEBSITE??? This site is DEDICATED to the franchise! The WHOLE POINT of this website is for people who love MLP to meet and talk and sell stuff (I think). So why? WHY???
-PrincessRoyalBlue-
May the spirit of G1 be with you!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 08:22:45 PM »
I can't see how someone could be so self-absorbed that they believe a franchise should end for all future generations just because they personally don't like it.

I see this over and over again in the TMNT fandom, fans kicking up a huge fuss every time a new gen of turtles comes along that they don't agree with, and acting like no one else is ever allowed to like something different than them. It's absolutely ridiculous. No one has to like 100% of everything a franchise does, especially one that's been around as long as TMNT or MLP.

Certainly, free speech allows us to voice our displeasure or discuss aspects we may disagree with. No one can or should take that away. We're a diverse audience and like diverse things in our shows and toys. Which also means that there will also be people who take legitimate joy out of things many may deem as "awful".

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 01:30:20 AM »
I didn't vote in the poll, but I have to call attention to a couple of points.

Firstly, if the option is on the poll, then why should it be a problem if someone chooses it?

Secondly - why is it okay for someone to vote for MLP to end because G4 is the best, but not okay for someone to vote that it's bad and therefore should end? There isn't an option on the poll for "G4 ruined MLP so it should end." The "MLP is so bad it should end" option is the closest to that.

Thirdly - It's no more selfish to want MLP to end because G4 can't be bested than because you think MLP is bad. And it's no more selfish than wanting ponies to continue forever because you personally like them, even if that means we have to keep dealing with the negative backlash of brony behaviour, both directly and indirectly.

Finally - it's not selfish to not like something. Everyone has their reasons. I doubt anyone on this site hates MLP, so it comes down to context. And I assume the context is either "fed up with the damage done by G4" or "So over the M6, time to end it."

People here do have strong views on different things and don't always agree. But they shouldn't be called out for not agreeing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:38:57 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 05:02:40 AM »
it's not selfish to not like something.

It's not selfish to not like something. That's just an opinion, and that's ok.

It is also not selfish to like something. When someone hoards things because they like something "sooo much", well, then it is selfish.

I don't enjoy it -- so no one should be able to. That's kind of selfish thinking...
(This isn't meant as an attack on anyone here. Nor is it putting words into anyone's mouth. It doesn't even have to be about MLP.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:41:50 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:52 AM »
I can't see how someone could be so self-absorbed that they believe a franchise should end for all future generations just because they personally don't like it.

I see this over and over again in the TMNT fandom, fans kicking up a huge fuss every time a new gen of turtles comes along that they don't agree with, and acting like no one else is ever allowed to like something different than them. It's absolutely ridiculous. No one has to like 100% of everything a franchise does, especially one that's been around as long as TMNT or MLP.

Certainly, free speech allows us to voice our displeasure or discuss aspects we may disagree with. No one can or should take that away. We're a diverse audience and like diverse things in our shows and toys. Which also means that there will also be people who take legitimate joy out of things many may deem as "awful".

That's interesting to hear the perspective from another fandom!  I imagine it's probably similar with other long-running franchises, too.  I remember when Beast Wars became a thing and I felt like it was soooo different from the transformers I had as a kid.  I didn't really have any interest in it because it didn't have the same characters I liked and they weren't vehicles. But I wasn't angry about it or anything.  Just went "not for me" and moved on.  Now there's been several more iterations for me to enjoy  :cool:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:13 AM »

I don't enjoy it -- so no one should be able to. That's kind of selfish thinking...
(This isn't meant as an attack on anyone here. Nor is it putting words into anyone's mouth. It doesn't even have to be about MLP.)

But no more selfish than "I like it so everyone should have to have it even if it's bothersome to them."

In reality though its still about context. This isn't a Hasbro meeting where the future of MLP is at stake. It's people expressing an opinion on the forum that will have no bearing on whether or not we get future MLP.

In that context, I can't see it as selfish. More as honest.

It's not what I would have voted for. I would have voted for a break between G4 and G5 or an option that MLP should continue if it is targeted at kids - but those options are not on the poll.

I just don't think it's right to call out people specifically and demand to know who voted for x because it's a different opinion. Our opinions don't matter to Hasbro, after all. So it really is just that - a fan opinion.

It's been blown rather out of proportion, that's all.

I get what you mean in the bigger picture, but it's less confusing to reference this specific example in context with the specific remarks made, because the two things in my mind are different.

The people who voted for that are not taking anything away from anyone else here. But by being denied their right to have their opinion without feeling persecuted, they are having their point of view taken from them. And I don't think that's right (whether I agree with it or not).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:06:48 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2021, 06:23:14 AM »
But no more selfish than "I like it so everyone should have to have it even if it's bothersome to them."
No one said that? Two people said they wanted it to go on for many years.

It's up to the person who doesn't like it to walk away. Many people have said they have no issue with if they don't like the next thing, but and are fine if others do.

I'm not sure anyone has been called out? The word selfish wasn't used until you brought it up. It's more like we've just stated how we felt, and as you said, we don't all agree.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:31:07 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:19 AM »
Well, you did put that option on the poll, so of course some people might have chosen to pick it? I don't understand why you'd put an option on there and then get upset when someone picks it. ^^;

The only other option for "MLP should end here" is "I think MLP should end here because G4 was so great", which isn't an opinion everyone necessarily shares. Could be that whoever picked "it should end cause it's bad" went for that cause they read it as "It should end here because G4/G4.5 is bad" and/or because they want it to end for some other reason. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 06:25:47 PM »
No one said that? Two people said they wanted it to go on for many years.

It's up to the person who doesn't like it to walk away. Many people have said they have no issue with if they don't like the next thing, but and are fine if others do.

I'm not sure anyone has been called out? The word selfish wasn't used until you brought it up. It's more like we've just stated how we felt, and as you said, we don't all agree.

I agree completely.
Example:
I don't play the new Pokemon games, but that doesn't mean I think Pokemon should end. Because people still enjoy new Pokemon. I can simply not play the new Pokemon games if I'm not interested.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
Don't make me get my spray bottle!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 07:30:05 AM »
I see it more as Taffeta's playing devil's advocate. Plus the quality drop has been consistently bad in G4.

Sometimes I'd like to see it end, because Hasbroken has given me very little confidence that they care about putting effort and making it into a collectible toyline again.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »
I see it more as Taffeta's playing devil's advocate. Plus the quality drop has been consistently bad in G4.

Sometimes I'd like to see it end, because Hasbroken has given me very little confidence that they care about putting effort and making it into a collectible toyline again.

People been saying the same thing about Barbie and quality lately. Tbh I think it's because the big toy companies refuse to scale prices with inflation and instead scale them with wages, which have been stagnant.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 09:21:36 AM »
I would have been fine if there had never been any other generations after gen 1.

And I say this while being fond of some aspects of G2, G3 and even G4. But at the end of the day, as others have said, it's not about me.

But if you were asking me personally, I'd say it should end with G4. But I couldn't vote in the poll because I didn't agree with the subjective postscript that that opinion must be because I think G4 is the best generation. G1 was the best generation for me personally, probably because I grew up with it. Best generation is entirely subjective.

I think it should end because for me G4 has destroyed the core of what MLP was in previous generations. It has pandered to the fanbase, it has encouraged subversive behaviour on and offline, and it has ruined a toyline for children with unnecessary adult interference. Plus, the impact of FIM means that there's very little likelihood of anything new with MLP ever again after this. Rehashing aspects of G4 to cling onto the success of FIM is highly likely at least for G5.

It's not that I think the concept of G4 was bad, or the toys were all bad until they stopped the diversity of character, or that the series should not have happened. But the impact it left is hard to follow without trying to connect to what went before. And for me a new generation shouldn't be about hanging on the coat tails of an old gen. It should be about looking at the demographic it's aimed at and creating something for the kids at that time.

If MLP is not aimed at the kids, then it should stop forever. If it is only going to pander to adult fans who use it to behave stupidly online, then I'm happy for it to be done. For all its success, only one generation did that to MLP. And so because of G4, I would say MLP should end - at least for a while, until all the impurities of the G4 fad phase have ended and the product can be focused entirely on the kids again.

In summary - I don't need ponies in stores or to be currently fashionable to care about MLP. I was here before G2, I'll be here after G4. I just don't like seeing something I loved as a kid turned into a monster because of online stupid, so if it were really up to me, I'd hit the pause button until all of that could be eradicated and it could start completely from scratch.

The good news is that G5 seems like it will be everything the bad bronies were against. I can't wait for them to get bent out of shape when the show starts portraying SJWs in a positive light.

Without going deep into it, SJWs can't even portray themselves in a positive light. Simply put, they're the PETA of equal rights and massive hypocrites.
mhm. i don't really wanna see huge conflicts in mlp in general, not bc strong topics shouldn't be discussed, but typically shows meant for tad older audiences pull it off better.

and agree with everything taffeta had stated- i was actually one of the few who voted for it to end, simply because it is a massive cashgrab pondering to less than wholesome people. a lot say that its just targeted towards kids and that's what it should be producing for, but kids deserve quality too. i didn't even want g4 figures when they were first released, which was when i was among the demographic, since you could see the decrease in quality. i will say it now, i don't like g4, i just don't. i find it quite annoying, and even more so that it went on as long as it did. i actually was a fan for years but like lack of creativity made it to where i don't wanna see a main six member ever again 😅
i would've wanted a new universe but if they can manage to clean up some of the spills of g4, i'd be happy to see it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:25:55 AM by caseysealia »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »
I vote for MLP to continue, but return to G1 and expand on them.  And return to beautiful animation like the Midnight Castle special.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 12:33:26 PM »
Consider me selfish, but as someone who got into collecting MLPs during the G4 years (and not being a huge fan of the G4 toys themselves), I'd love for the series to continue in the hopes of seeing another G1 or G3 and being able to buy them when they come out. It is quite different from buying them second-hand and would be exciting.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal