collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is paradise estate worth getting?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Is paradise estate worth getting?
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

I always liked the g1 playset of paradise estate. I would like to get it and complete it. The only downsides are the price and the size. I'm going to live smaller but I think I can make space

So I would like your opinions. Should I try to get it? Is it worth to get it

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Online tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Is paradise estate worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
I think this is a very subjective question. Playsets are not on my list because of space, and I only pick them up if I see them in person at thrifts. Because of that, and that I anticipate moving out in about two years, I would likely pass on a well-priced one online.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »
PE is a massive piece of pony real estate
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:55:29 PM »
That's certainly not a question anyone can answer for you.

For me, if I like something enough -- it wouldn't matter how much something cost because I can always save up. And it wouldn't matter how big something is, because I could get rid of things I that I would like less then said thing. (I'm pretty limited in space -- so this is always a concern with any of my collections. I sell things if I'm bringing more in.) I will find a way for things I like.

That said, I hate PE, and you couldn't PAY me to have it in my house. lol.

My suggestion is that you clear out space temporarily, and put some sort of equivalent size box in it's place.. to see if you'd even be cool with how it fit into your home.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
As a child, I would say, "Hell yes!", but as an adult I would say, "No." Paradise Estate really isn't that amazing when you think about it: it's just four rooms and a pool and patio (which was my favorite aspect of the playset). I also found it annoying that there was human furniture (bed, coach, chairs) so it was really more for Megan and Molly. It does take up a LOT of room so also consider that! I think it's a bit overrated....I personally would go with the DreamCastle. but that's just my two cents!

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
It is my favorite playset, but I currently don't have the space to display it. (My mom would never allow me to keep it set up when I was a kid because it's so huge.) It takes up about 16 square feet (4X4), but I say go for it if you have the room.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »
Paradise Estate was a grail item for me, I wanted it ever since I was a kid and when I had the opportunity to get it cheap, I didn't let it pass me by. I don't regret it but it's very hard to display, hard to keep clean, and even though the playset is huge, it's still not big enough for the ponies. Maybe two ponies can fit in a room at a time, and yes, all of the furniture is for Megan and Molly, so if you don't own either of them, it's useless.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 02:00:35 AM »
I don’t know your set up, or the state if your finances, this is just some information for you to think about. 

The PE is freaking huge fully assembled. It has a massive footprint that can’t be collapsed much.  I have seen it used as a focal point display in very large pony rooms.  It’s *impressive* fully assembled on display, but it needs a lot of space if you want to display it as one complete playset.  This isn’t something you can stick on a shelf. You’re looking at a table, or something on the ground in a dedicated corner.  However, even its display value is limited since the majority of the playset(the rooms) aren’t very good for display.  They don’t have multiple levels, so things tend to look cluttered, and the roof and walls block the view of whatever’s inside somewhat.

I will say that the PE pool can be detached and used as its own thing. I used to take mine out and have pool parties with my ponies as a kid.  It’s actually quite nice if you have it complete with all the plants, pillars, intact canopy, and sea pony statues. It makes a nice display all on its own, and is a much more reasonable footprint.  If you have storage room for the rest(or are fine with just a piece of the PE), you could display the pool all on its own and have a nice little setup. 

There are 6 pieces - 4 rooms, the pool, and the patio. They can be assembled together, but it is easy to separate them as well.  You could own the entire playset, but have it spread out around the room depending on the space.  You could use the rooms as individual dioramas if that’s your thing. 

The furniture is fun if you like accessories.  It doesn’t really fit the ponies, but it does look nice all set up.  There are a few expensive accessories that are very hard to find, and can be expensive.  The combs and silverware are *tiny*, and prone to getting lost, so if you’re a completist, you might have to sink some time and cash into finishing the set. Most of the furnishings are common enough in lots on ebay. They’re not that bad to get.  It’s those last tiny pieces that you’ll have issues with. 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
If you want it, go for it! Make yourself happy. :o) It is my favorite set. I am a completionist, so I wanted it the moment I saw it on wiki. Agreed, it is difficult to find with all accessories, but it's about the hunt and I think you'd be up for a good challenge. Some people just have each part up on shelves separate. Bet you could make it work with a bit of planning.

During Corvid we've done a full redesign of our back room. I only regret getting rid of the table it was displayed on as the extra space I had under it was super helpful.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 06:06:10 AM »
I know I would buy myself a complete set in a heartbeat if I only had free space ^.^
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 06:57:01 AM »
I agree, it's quite a subjective decision. I had it as a child, and loved it, and that it really the only reason I have one now as an adult: nostalgia. I would never in a million years have bought this massive playset as an adult if I didn't have an emotional connection to it, because of the space it takes up. I did buy one when I heard the news that my childhood one was most likely lost in a flood at my parents' house, and I reacted out of emotion and replaced it. It currently 'lives' at my parents' house (not in said flooded basement!), because, you guessed it, I don't have room for it here. It is my plan that when our basement remodel is complete, I will have a hobby room, and I'll display it in there (I haven't broken this news to my husband yet, haha)...but in the meantime it really doesn't fit into my current lifestyle.

Pros:
If you have the space, and you want it badly enough, it does have a lot of storage capacity for ponies inside.

It makes a nice backdrop for photos of your ponies, if that's something you like to do.

You can always resell it; there's probably always someone in the collector community who will take it off your hands. But...see 'cons' about shipping!

Cons:
You will likely lose out on the shipping cost; mine cost like $150 USD to ship. So if you can find one locally that you can pick up, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Space.

As others have mentioned, the furniture is not proportioned for ponies. This never bothered me much personally; I wasn't really trying to cram them onto the chairs...I mostly set up scenes outside my estate. But if you are bothered by this, it might annoy you.

Also, I would second the thought that completing one would be pricey, as far as the tiny pieces go...the combs and silverware didn't likely survive anyone's childhood unless they were intentionally preserved by a collector, and they sell for a premium individually. So if you are a completionist, I'd recommend buying a set labeled 100% complete if you can, it's probably your best deal. I did see one on Ebay recently, I think it sold for $500-ish if I remember correctly. But I've seen sets sell for around that same amount that weren't complete, too. Not sure how often complete sets pop up.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »
Getting Paradise Estate for me was an absolute yep!!! displaying it was an issue until I realised I could split it in half!!! I've clicked the living room & kitchen onto the patio, while the bedroom & nursery are either side of the pool. Each half sits in a different place in my display, & I've managed to put Ponies & that in there. Megan & Molly share the bedroom. I can't remember who it was I saw who had it set up like that, but I went right for it & did the same with mine.
The pool is great for Sea Ponies btw
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Thanks for all your replies everyone. I think I might get it after the move and for the right price. I'm not a completionist so I'm not looking to spend a fortune on tiny plastic silverware. The furniture seems cool though. It's nice to know it can be taken apart too. Maybe I could see it live on ponycon next year but who knows.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline halicabi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
As others have already mentioned, it is HUGE!!!!!

In 2009, I had it in pieces in a work in progress area

By 2010, it had moved to a setup of 4 3-shelf bookcases placed in a square with sturdy cardboard covering the empty space in the middle (which is great for storage!):

But, ultimately, it's up to you.

halicabi

Avatar and Sig drawn by my 5 year-old daughter (at age 4).  Aren't they adorable????
**My how time flies, she's now 20 and in College!!! I need a new drawing**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal