collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of April 28: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 9483 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Week of April 28: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
Hi guys,
Because the other thread is already massive, I am going to be locking the COVID-19 threads each weekend and starting a new one.
Links to old threads will be included.

We are a global community. Let's keep each other posted about the real state of events.

Discussion is welcome.
NO FEAR MONGERING

1. Where do you live?
2. What is the current climate like where you're at?
3. Are news reports coming from your area accurate or no? What is going on?
4. What are your questions and concerns?
5. What has your government / administration done to address this (please try to keep this as politics free as possible, it is fine to state whether you agree/disagree with their actions etc) and, in your opinion, how is it working? Ex: Shelter in place orders, curfews, closures
6. Is your job affected, if so, how?
7. How are you and your family doing??

MLP Arena, our staff, and our members, are unable to provide any medical advice or diagnoses.
This is a new disease, which means that even the experts are learning as we go and the situation is rapidly evolving. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the WHO (World Health Organization) website for information about the coronavirus, and the respiratory illness it causes, COVID-19:

Prevention, health, travel and safety guidance:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Symptoms:
https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_3

FAQ:
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Dispelling Myths / Misinformation:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

CDC guidance:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Archived Discussions

March 12 - 21: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398121.0.html
March 21 - 30: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398198.0.html
March 31 - April 7: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398270.0.html
April 7 - 15: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398322.0.html
April 15 - April 30: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398378.0.html

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Re: Week of April 28: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »
My state is up to 3,738 and 125 deaths. Though the number of cases is jumping, the death toll is has hardly been rising. Ford county (Dodge City) is at 600 cases now, making it the 2nd highest number behind Wyandotte (KC) which is at 619.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:40:11 AM »
Kings Day was the most boring one ever. No markets at all and whatever they had digital was not worth to pick up.

Up here the discussion about the facial masks is still hot. Wether to wear them or not. And why there isn't enough for everyone. While my neigbour countries Germany and Belgium are obliged to wear them in public transport.

Also a few stores started to open their business again with "social distance" markings. But in reality I still see people bringing their kids along when the advice still is "go out when necessary". Some people think now the kids are allowed to play outside is a reason to take them along.

But the most surprising action is a hotel chain that opened their restaurants again. And only the people that have a room are allowed to eat over there. In a social distance way.
You can imagine that a lot of restaurant/cafe owners think "why them and not us". They still have to be closed until May 20.
I can not wait until they open.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 04:14:44 AM »
Latest numbers in my county: 516 cases, 43 deaths, 214 recovered.

Our stay at home order is going to expire at midnight tonight.  I'm afraid some people might see the stay at home order expiring as an "all clear" signal and stop trying to social distance or take precautions. Malls, restaurants, theaters, libraries, museums  and most non essential businesses  can reopen May 1st. Hair and nail salons will remain closed until at least mid May  Businesses that reopen must continue to maintain social distancing guidelines and occupancy will be limited to 25% capacity.

In my state businesses can chose to remain closed/continue curbside service if they do not want to open May 1st

Costco will not allow customers in stores unless they wear a facial covering. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:37:06 AM »
Boris is going to present the briefing later. I can only imagine what things people are going to ask him.

I think it's a good thing we're giving a broader range of case data now, and I hope the testing is going to continue to rise. The combined county health system area round here is almost 100 confirmed deaths on the new system but there are likely to be more because of some affected care homes. We have almost certainly paid a price for being so closely integrated into the Black Country/Birmingham/Wolves economy, which has been badly hit as a region overall - somewhere up around 3000 deaths across the conurbation.

We got some extra hand sanitiser today. We have more than we need so I am hoping I can donate some to the council to help just a little bit. Waiting to hear back from them. Our local council is generally good, but right now they and their workers are genuinely awesome. We're one of the few places where all rubbish collection,food recycling, green bins and recycling are being collected normally, they're fixing the roads, they're delivering stuff to people like food who need it...so I have some hope we can give a little back.

The NHS is going to release a contact app some time next month. My phone won't take it, unfortunately, as it won't take any more apps. But I expect sister will use it. She's promised me her old phone, but she's not here, so it might be a while before I can do this. While I have some concerns about data, I have more about the health and safety of my family, given the risks, so I will want to be aware of everything when I'm out, at least in the short term, if and when we are allowed to go out.

I emailed the local MP this morning to ask what is happening with test centres here given there aren't any and have never been any (there were to be some but they got scrapped before opening because of a change in govt testing policy back in March). So aside the empirical data of the COVIDZOE KCL app, we have no idea how bad it is here except from the hospital stats.  He emailed me back almost at once to say he's pushing this too. He's a good MP, although he's a Tory, he listens to and helps constituents and he cares a lot about the local area so I think he'll keep chasing it. Sounds that way anyway. He's not afraid to annoy the govt, he's done it before.

Officially our borough has about 250 confirmed cases at the moment. But as I said, hospital only testing here.

We live in an odd world, though. Three months ago I never would have thought giving mum a bottle of antibacterial soap and some wipes would make her so happy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:45:06 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »

We live in an odd world, though. Three months ago I never would have thought giving mum a bottle of antibacterial soap and some wipes would make her so happy.

haha, like me when I got my order in yesterday for paper towels for work! Yay, we haz paper towels!

My favorite Meme of the day: Corona is starting to feel like the check engine light: At first it freaks you out, but after a few weeks you're like, "Look, I gotta go to work".
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 06:23:49 AM »
Well today restrictions on restaurants, movie theaters and beaches are reopening here. We had 2 more deaths in my county for a total of 9. Texas hasn't had as many deaths as some other states but I wonder about the testing. I think reopening should only happen if everyone is tested and there are reliable antibody tests. Ideally i really want there to be a vaccine or a viable treatment that doesn't involve hospitalization. But that's not going to happen here.

Restaurants are already cutting back on curbside services and making people either come up to the front or go inside to get take-out. Which would be ok if they weren't busy. I get the feeling here like everyone is just not really caring anymore. Which I find really irritating. I feel like people thought quarantine was a fun time to stay home and bake banana bread and now that they're bored its just back to business. But staying home isn't some fun thing its to save lives.

We're also really dropping the ball on masks here. But the CDC went back and forth so much on that i'm not really surprised that people aren't taking it seriously.

I've just been really depressed about the way people are acting here. It so selfish and irritating. People want to go party on the beach and don't really care about the consequences. So what if you're 21. You can still party on the beach when you're 23 if you want.

I guess one positive here is there are plenty of delivery slots for groceries. And I was even able to get more toiler paper and paper towels last week. The meat supply may be under stress but I can live without meat.

Also this week we may get temperatures in the high 90's so i guess we can test out the coronavirus doesn't spread in the heat theory.

Ugh Texas summers  :enraged:
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »

We're also really dropping the ball on masks here. But the CDC went back and forth so much on that i'm not really surprised that people aren't taking it seriously.

I've gotten to the point that I feel like it's better that people don't wear the masks. Like maybe the only people who should be wearing them are those in the highest risk group or have issues or might be sick. I've watched way to many people around my area wear it incorrectly, touch the masks and do other things that make it pretty much pointless to wear it.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Yeah, there is basically a scientific and political civil war being fought over masks here still. Boris said yesterday they 'could' be useful, so now one paper is saying we will have to wear them, but that's not what he said, he just said it might give some folk confidence to go back to work and such...so psychological rather than health. Our people accept it can protect others if used properly, but not really to protect yourself and can so easily lead to contamination. Same is true of gloves.

I saw a guy walking back from the store today. He was wearing gloves. In the what, 20 seconds it took him to pass by on the other street by our house, he had wiped the gloves on his shorts, wiped his face with the gloves, and he was carrying a bag of stuff from the local store which obviously meant he'd been touching things in the store and probably using cash. There's literally no protection if you are just going to assume that the gloves are safe to use to touch stuff. Gloves can protect your hands, yes. They can still spread the virus to your face if you touch something then your face while wearing them.

...So quick UK update. Hancock made his 100,000 test a day target despite being roundly ridiculed for setting it at the start of the month. 122,000+ tests carried out in the UK yesterday which is a large jump forward. Around 6000 of those tested positive in all settings. Around 700 people in all settings were recorded to have died. The sad thing is that the care home issue is still a big issue and that's their next target I think to deal with. But at least hospital cases, deaths, etc are dropping. They've said it's like 2 epidemics - in society and in care homes - and it seems to be the same the world over :( I hope they get all the testing into care homes asap. They say they're gonna test everyone, whether they have symptoms or not, so fingers crossed they can make a difference.

Our lockdown is due to expire on 7th May, the way the govt are talking doesn't sound like it will be an immediate unlock though. They are very keen on their five rules.

BUT some stores are reopening. These are technically stores that didn't need to close in the original lockdown, but did so to reorganise and make their stores safer (specifically food outlets and DIY stores). I think we should probably see if their reopening makes a difference to the statistics now we have better testing before any other bigger steps are taken. The UK govt are being very cautious and are watching what is going on in other places. But apparently the majority of people here are uneasy of a premature release on lockdown.

There are more cars on the road now mind you than there were before.

But even the Govt was surprised at how well people have abided by the lockdown over the last 5+ weeks. They modelled for 50% staying home, and at times have had 97% adherence. Not because people like the govt, though...more because people don't want to get COVID ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
Same is true of gloves.

Just had a customer come in, no mask but he had gloves on. I joked with him, (don't rob me). He runs a small car dealership, he said he handles a lot of cash at the office.

DOH! So he basicly has had the gloves on from work, got in his vehicle drove over to my place to pick up the printing I did for him, still wearing the same gloves.

Needless to say I wipe down my doorknob and counter because uh, DUH, if he did pick up the virus from the money he just spread it across town wearing the same gloves.

But even the Govt was surprised at how well people have abided by the lockdown over the last 5+ weeks. They modelled for 50% staying home, and at times have had 97% adherence. Not because people like the govt, though...more because people don't want to get COVID ;)

(whispers) nobody wanted to go to work and now nobody wants to go back to work. I guess if I could apply for unemployment and make more than I pay myself I'm clearly dumb for not doing it but then again, I'm too stubborn, plus I'd feel like I'm taking away from someone who actually needs it. Hell, I just paid my VEC (Virginia Employment Commission) quarter tax. See when you run your own business, you actually have to pay them they don't pay you (LOL). Same thing with the federal withholding and state withholding. The business has to pay that every quarter or depending on number of employees every month.

Though I do believe I saw where they're going to give a 50% decrease, which will be great if what I read was correct.

But still, it's probably hard for some folks to imagine if they've never run a business how much you actually have to send to the government. Not counting local costs like business licenses and permits, blablabla.

For myself as an example since a lot of events and festivals are not going on and churches are closed a lot of my business has fallen off. We generally have a big dance recital where I do the program and tickets for, I'd be working on that now but obviously that's not happening. So that's a bit loss for my company for april/may. :(

So as a business owner I'm not so much worried about right now, the effects are going to last a lot longer for us than march-may on the business/economic side.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »
our area is opening up again too.  I don't think it's safe yet.  but since it's the topic that has started 80% of the household disagreements...  i am exhausted of trying to express it.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 01:41:30 PM »
Our stay at home order is extended though this month. They renamed it, I believe, but it's pretty much the same with the exception of some businesses opening. No gatherings more than 10 people, continue 6 feet distancing when out, wear masks if possible, continue to work at home when possible, vulnerable people need to stay in.

Restaurants, Personal care (salons), daycares all remain closed for now.

The first businesses to open were the hospitals today. Which was VERY much needed for my family. My child went today to get a procedure that I was unable to do at home without proper medicine and tools. And while it wasn't LIFE threatening, I'm happy that it can now be taken care of because it's something that gets worse with time-- and then probably requires a surgery if neglected.

I'm happy things are opening without opening the flood gates in my state.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
Latest info from my county.  We are at 549 cases, 44 deaths and 241 recovered.

A lot of people are not taking this seriously in my state anymore. We don't have a local beach but we do have a lake and there are already reports and pictures that show people at the lake are not social distancing or following guidelines.  After the pictures were made public authorities said they would be enforcing social distancing. I think we are supposed to be in groups of less than 10 but sports can only be played in groups of 4 or less.

Restaurants were allowed to reopen yesterday if  they followed guidelines and there are also reports of some restaurants refusing to  maintain the 6 ft distance between customers.

I have friend that works at Target. Target is requiring their employees to wear masks. My friend said that several people entered the store and yelled at her that they didn't have to wear a mask because the stay at home order is expired even though the county where she lives has issued an or order that masks should be worn in public. Several people yelled at her that they were not going to wear masks and there was nothing anyone could do about it. :sad:   

I wear gloves  and a facial covering when I go to the store. For the gloves, I put them on in the car and wear them in to the store. When I'm ready to get back in the car, I use a Clorox wipe on them. If I am returning home I put the gloves in a small trash can in the trunk. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
I have friend that works at Target. Target is requiring their employees to wear masks. My friend said that several people entered the store and yelled at her that they didn't have to wear a mask because the stay at home order is expired even though the county where she lives has issued an or order that masks should be worn in public. Several people yelled at her that they were not going to wear masks and there was nothing anyone could do about it. :sad:   

yeah some people are getting aggressive here too. There is video of some lady screaming and harassing a reporter who is wearing a mask.

I don't understand why people are so flipping aggressive about not wearing masks. At this point... I get it that some people refuse to. But why be aggressive and yell at people? I have to remind myself that this is an extreme minority. u_u;

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
Our stay at home order is until May 18 now, I'm very thankful that my job is a remote job and I can continue to stay home away from all these people threatening workers and being aggressive with their hate of wearing a mask. How is wearing a mask against your constitutional rights?

People are bored and lack critical thinking skills. I am a health coach and I have to listen to people complain that they are bored and want to have parties everyday, that they are eating tons of food because they are bored. To be honest it's hard for me to relate to them, I enjoy my hobbies and am fine being home, and I don't think going to the bar or getting a hair cut is worth getting sick over. And I don't see it as treading on my liberties, it's for the sake of not killing more people

I really don't want to catch coronaVirus and I'll do everything I can to avoid it until they can actually make a vaccine

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal