collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 21484 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »

Also Ohio update:
All businesses are asked to scan temperatures of their employees. If they do not scan, then "We're taking this one step at a time. If we find that we can't get employers to take temperatures, we'll have to go to the next stage and close everything down unless it's essential."

I feel like this isn't an accurate way to check for people who are sick.  My temperature raises a bit when I'm on my period.  It doesn't mean that I'm sick or contagious with anything.  It's just how my body reacts to that time of the month.

I remember something about this on our news going back a few weeks as to why this wasn't a thing at UK airports, and I think the reply was that it gives a lot of false positives because a: a lot of people run fevers around this time of the year and so you can misdirect resources and b: it is unclear how problematic coronavirus is before symptoms show but it is absolutely possible (and documented) that people can come through without a fever and then develop it later because of incubation. We had this with passengers off the Diamond Princess, who complained about being quarantined by UK Govt for 14 days but they were only allowed to fly home if they tested negative - after reaching the UK in perfect apparent health four of them went down with coronavirus (in quarantine).

So temp checking is arbitrary. It might tell them someone is sick, but it won't tell them they have corona and may divert resources and attention without reducing the actual risk.

Saw photos on tv today of the beaches in Florida mentioned earlier in the thread. Scary...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:44:30 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
Well the hoarders may not be very far off the mark after all:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-virus-plan-anticipates-18-190626012.html

The hoarders are partially to blame for artificial shortages, tho. Nobody needs a castle built of toilet paper and pasta. They are forcing others to hoard, too. If I see something is in short supply I am inclined to get it for myself as soon as it's available again.

That headline seems to be a little sensationalist. It's a vicious cycle.

I live in Texas where no one ever wants to be told what to do. But it does seem like a lot of people are social distancing. I live next to a park with a playground and the number of people has dwindled.

Its just depressing that its taken so long for our administration to take this seriously. pretty much only after the economy took a big hit.

Also i saw this for anyone who's young and thinks they won't get very sick. Just don't take the chance.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/disproportional-number-of-millennials-are-seriously-ill-from-coronavirus/285-f0019bfa-b267-4c69-a902-8c2076296645

Also something happier

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/11/us/baby-life-support-first-birthday-trnd/index.html
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »

My workplace just issued a mandatory travel report for all employees. Based on our answers Health Services will decide if we will still be employees for the foreseeable future or if they will let us go until the next employment period begins.  I live in an “at will” state where employers can let employees go for any reason.

I know they are doing this to make sure the virus doesn’t spread.

Ponyfan

That seems really unfair and I think that most places have lost track of the spread of infection by now, so sacking people who have traveled won't make any difference.

I think they're giving worst case scenario in case anyone traveled to higher risk areas. 

There are 3 cases confirmed in my area now and in at least one case the infected person ignored self quarantine rules and went out to a restaurant when they could infect other people with the virus.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
The 18 month figure is because of how long they think it will realistically take to get a vaccine out and available to everyone. That's the rationale. We don't know what might or might not happen in the meantime.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »
The local police rolled out a phone number today to report stuff that doesn't need an officer to physically be there, like coming home and finding your house robbed. They say still use 911 for emergencies and the regular non-emergency number if you actually need an officer like for domestic violence and such. I think we're the only city doing this right now but it sounds like a good idea.

Re, the beaches; yeah, it's stupid and scary. They spoke to some of the spring breakers and they were all "we're out in the open with the saltwater and beeze, we'll be fine!" They're also ignoring the no more than 10 people rule and they showed a lot of people with drinks and food.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:10:49 PM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »
Updates from Sweden:

I don't know how many are affected as they have changed the routines for testing, but we have 20 confirmed deaths.

People are encouraged to work from home. University and upper secondary school students are encourage to study from home. The law has to change to allow that for preschool til year 9 so that is being rushed.

Group gatherings with more than 500 people are to be cancelled.

Malls are still on their regular opening times but are offering their stores to open later and close early which mine has accepted. We still have to work our designated hours so I have longer days but fewer which is alright. Felt odd to close up at 6 pm yesterday but I get to spend more time with hubby so yaay!

Public traffic is still going as usual.

The hording is happening here as well. I have pictures to prove it on my instagram. It is insane. Luckily we don't need to buy toiletpaper, pasta or tea anytime soon. For a couple of years now we have been able to shop for groceries online and get them delivered home which we still do.

I am well stocked on books, coloring books and pencils and there are ton of things to watch (I discovered Dplay has all seasons of Masterchef Australia so I'm set for months!) so I'm all good.

The thing that irks me the most are the greedy people. Several places like a gas station chain are offering free coffee for people working in the health care as a thank you, and people are nagging that they don't get one as well, because they are bus drivers, delivery trucks and personal assistants.. It just baffles me. People in healtchare rarely get the appreciation they deserve and when they get this small token the jealousy of others destroys it :mad:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
44 new confirmed cases and 10 new deaths today in Seattle's county today . . . Not state, but county.  This morning I was talking to my neighbor (from fifteen feet away, ha ha) and she said her adult son and his wife are sick.

Every time I check Facebook another of my friends is exhibiting symptoms.  This disease spreads easily.  Please stay safe and take the warnings seriously, folks!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
Woke up to this.

Local radio host has the virus. I literally listed to him describe how he felt on Thursday, which was the day after we had 1 confirmed community spread and 3 days 3 from people who traveled (none of which were his county, and a solid 40-50 miles away from those cases). I can't remember what he said, but I know it was something to the lines of "probably just the cold" because it didn't feel severe, and "although you never know".

:( Hopefully that gets to the listeners. And hopefully it makes a statement that even if it's not confirmed yet in your area, still take this seriously.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2020, 04:51:12 AM »
Will my dad and brother (my brother has a low immune system) go into isolation when they get back to British Airways? I’m worried because if they have it it’ll be trouble for me, and my mum.

Some one robbed Asda at seven in the morning here.

Shops are bare here.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:14:11 PM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »
We went for a drive last night. Didn't get out of the car. Just needed to maintain our sanity. And I take it back people are not social distancing enough here. Bars and restaurants had a lot of cars. They finally closed restaurant dining rooms, bar, gyms etc. last night and issued a curfew here.  I'm not sure if people will follow it though.  I'm in San Antonio.

We're supposed to move to the Austin are in a few weeks and there are more cases there. Though none in the county we'll be living in.  I was planning to work remotely after we moved but being in the house 24/7 is hard.

I'm also worried about the local businesses. They say its safe to get takeout but I'm just not sure. I want to support them but i'm worried. And with the economy overall in bad shape I don't even want to spend any money unless I have to.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
The thing that irks me the most are the greedy people. Several places like a gas station chain are offering free coffee for people working in the health care as a thank you, and people are nagging that they don't get one as well, because they are bus drivers, delivery trucks and personal assistants.. It just baffles me. People in healtchare rarely get the appreciation they deserve and when they get this small token the jealousy of others destroys it :mad:

That's humans for you.
One of my friends was choking on her own tears and getting super dramatic because she wanted to have a big birthday bash but most people cancelled due to the recommendations not to gather in large numbers. Had to bite my tongue because she's gonna have many more birthdays, it's not that big of a deal and quite frankly - who gives a damn. Some people really want to be the exception to the norm. It's not like she would go to a big party now but when it's her own suddenly everyone should ignore the recs.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »
Western Australia update

Nearly 300 confirmed cases in all of Aus. My classes will go online from 23rd March. All sanitiser is gone, so are soaps and toilet paper.

People are driving 4 hours from my city to my birthtown to buy supplies from there. My birth mother keeps finding it unbelievable that my city (the capital of my state) that there's still food in the stores and restaurants, so I can only assume things are becoming scarce there.

Australia has implemented total international travel ban.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:56:11 AM by freezestime »
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
I'm also worried about the local businesses. They say its safe to get takeout but I'm just not sure. I want to support them but i'm worried. And with the economy overall in bad shape I don't even want to spend any money unless I have to.

SOme places here had delivery, others did not. My city stopped ALL delivery services weather it be food delivery OR packages/taxi/public transportation. Delivery here is a little different - you go to an app and it lists all the places that you can order from. Then a food hopper guy (usually a dude on a motorcycle goes and gets it. Only once did I have a female delivery person) We only got the service back about a week ago. I immediatly ordered from KFC. Sick of eating nothing but rice and eggs for 2 months straight >.<

Also, If I am stuck here for another 18 MONTHS, I am going to be a very unhappy person. I mean, I CAN go back to the USA (There are nonstop flights to LAX and JFK) but why would I go from someplace with very few infections to another one where it is raging out of control?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:00:46 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
I work in the veterinary field.  We are currently no longer seeing anything but emergencies - all wellness/vaccine/routine surgeries are cancelled until further notice.  We are not allowing clients into the clinic.  We are taking histories over the phone and then bringing only the pet into the clinic from the parking lot.  The owners then pay over the phone.  We have 75 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Oregon with over 750 tests pending results.

I woke up with a cough/sore throat and when I called into work I was told a coworker is suspected of being Covid-19 positive and is in quarantine.  I have a video appointment with the doctor this afternoon, so we will see how it goes.   :yikes:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »
I work in the veterinary field.  We are currently no longer seeing anything but emergencies - all wellness/vaccine/routine surgeries are cancelled until further notice.  We are not allowing clients into the clinic.  We are taking histories over the phone and then bringing only the pet into the clinic from the parking lot.  The owners then pay over the phone.  We have 75 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Oregon with over 750 tests pending results.

I woke up with a cough/sore throat and when I called into work I was told a coworker is suspected of being Covid-19 positive and is in quarantine.  I have a video appointment with the doctor this afternoon, so we will see how it goes.   :yikes:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm in Oregon too. I really hoping for you.

As for me, my family's biggest concern right now is preventing the neighbor from getting it. She is very old

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal