collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 21485 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »
The MN governor has now declared a state of emergency and ordered public schools closed until the 25th. A lot of people are upset that bars and restaurants are still open...the governor recommends avoiding gatherings of over 250 but it isn't and Official Rule so many people are ignoring it. The store parking lots are full with lines waiting for spaces.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
Hoping to get some clarity tomorrow on wtf the govt are actually going to do here. Want to believe it is in the national interest but the media keep making war analogies and this is the country that occasionally blew up its own ships to fool Hitler during the war, so who really knows. UK to start building its own ventilators as 10 years+ of Tory cuts have ripped holes in the NHS (admittedly not this tory govt). EU needs to stop making provocative statements about witholding supplies from non-bloc countries. It may be obvious but it doesn't help in the political climate and a lot of people in this country are not currently anti-EU (myself included)...after this is all over we will still need to talk to and trade with each other to help everyone's economy to recover, and it's not a time to draw political lines in the sand anyway.

Rumours of four month self-exile for over 70s is causing my parents and I much concern, as it impacts both of them if it comes to pass. And I am unsure what that will mean for me and my movement as well because right now I live with them. On the other hand, as a person not in my 70s with no health risk myself, I hope I'll be able to be of some use if it happens.

Case jump here today lower than yesterday. Same number of people roughly being tested per day but now only people in hospital, so the jump is expected. 35 deaths total, one named. Cases 1300ish from just over 40,000 tests. Govt still think probably around 10,000 in the country have it but most too mild to be noticed.

My area still has no recorded cases on the board. My sister's on the other hand has the most for an area atm so she is basically quarantined there for now.

Govt may or may not ban events here but if so probably not till next weekend; most communities seem to be taking the initiative and cancelling many anyway. No intent to close schools - possibly the opposite in terms of forcing them to stay open. One school over the county border closed for deep cleaning as a kid may or may not have the virus (but they aren't being tested so nobody knows).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:46:36 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »
Well I went to one of the Walmarts in my area that I usually go to for the first time in maybe 2 weeks, and decided to check out the household section. As expected TP and PT's are almost gone, and the cleaner and soap aisles are almost empty. They actually had the TP aisle taped off and an associate standing there, and if you wanted some he would hand a package to you. Not a bad move. I already have enough to last me for a bit so I'm not worried about that.
 Though now this guy is saying prepare for a possible 14 day shutdown: https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-prepare-hunker-down-even-143127875.html

There was a case in another county next to mine, and a school in a nearby town has closed for a week, even though there's still nothing in this county. Nonetheless it seems like it's closing in. Our governor recommended all schools shut down for a week.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:42:39 PM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
Well I went to one of the Walmarts in my area that I usually go to for the first time in maybe 2 weeks, and decided to check out the household section. As expected TP and PT's are almost gone, and the cleaner and soap aisles are almost empty. They actually had the TP aisle taped off and an associate standing there, and if you wanted some he would hand a package to you. Not a bad move. I already have enough to last me for a bit so I'm not worried about that.
 Though now this guy is saying prepare for a possible 14 day shutdown: https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-prepare-hunker-down-even-143127875.html

There was a case in another county next to mine, and a school in a nearby town has closed for a week, even though there's still nothing in this county. Nonetheless it seems like it's closing in.

Fourteen days sounds wonderful when you've been threatened with four months.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2020, 06:13:36 PM »
The 24 hour stores where I live have changed their hours to close from 11 pm-6 am to give the stores a chance to clean and restock shelves.

Bread and crackers are being bought in large quantities now.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »

"this guy" is Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases expert. He's very important. And the fed government was kind of silencing him earlier on to not evoke panic.

Also. He didn't say prepare.
Asked whether he thought U.S. authorities should impose a 14-day lockdown to try to stop the spread of the virus, Fauci said: "You know, I would prefer (that) as much as we possibly could. I think we should really be overly aggressive and get criticized for over reacting."

It's not off the table either. But I have yet to see anything done that was useful from the federal government. (Or very little). Oh, also. That question is misleading. It wouldn't stop the spread. It would slow the spread.

So far, Ohio is one of the most aggressive(?) states. Only 23 confirmed cases atm.

As of today, bars and restaurants are closed for dine-in.

Schools still have 3 weeks closure, but it's pretty obvious it will be for an additional 6 weeks or end of school year.

And soon daycares will be closed. They are giving people time for alternate solutions.

@Taffeta
Can I ask an ignorant question?
I read that the UK government want the young and healthy people all to get it (and recover) while hiding at risk people from it (the 4 month thing). Is there truth to that? This is where I don't like reading online articles on the internet because I feel like it can get skewed. It just seems so different then how we are handling it here...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:53:31 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2020, 07:57:13 PM »
Schools and several places are closing. School for possibly the rest of the year. Its...interesting.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »
Wisconsin here and schools are closing after tomorrow and gatherings no bigger than 250 for most of the state and effected counties just announced groups no larger than 50 that might be for the whole state as well I'm too tired to re-read at the moment. Up too late reading news.

Illinois just closed all restaurant dining rooms and bars after the scenes from Ohare. I expect our governor to follow suit tomorrow.

No one here yet seems to be taking it seriously other than hoard buying. My other half included keeps wanting us to go out and I'm like we need to stay in. I got dad's weak lungs, mom's 67 and has health issues and he is walking around with a lingering cough from January cause he's a casual smoker. I forgot to get eggs today so I'm down to 3 and reading the CDC list my cleaner of choice 409 isn't on the list of things that kill the virus. So I only have a can and a half of lysol disinfectant and one bottle of bleach. I may have to use hand soap to clean my house if someone were to get sick. (we have a big ranch house that I've currently been deep cleaning to prepare for one of us to be sick). On the plus side I was set on food and TP before stuff hit the fan.

I've got myself all paranoid cause I cleaned my shower with tilex and even with ventilation my lungs are all tight now from being exposed to the cleaner ... so I'm like this is it right? XD when I know this happens anytime I have to break out that to clean. I really should have a mask on to use it but seeing as masks are sold out right now..... I'm kind of SOL on that.

I'm worried about the idiots in town some of our peers have been posting stuff about martial law and needing to revolt if the bar shut down happens cause god forbid the drinking state close the bars and we drink at home!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »
My impression of all the shut-downs and isolation is to try and  stop hospitals from becoming overwhelmed at once and having to turn people away.  A large number of cases have required medical intervention even if they don’t lead to death.  They are just trying to slow things down to a steady trickle of manageable cases.

But they’re talking about shutting down schools for the rest of the year.  Have already cancelled all of our major events.  Telling people to stay indoors for months?  It’s so intense.  There haven’t been many cases in my area but this is going to have some serious economic and life impacts.  And the craziest part is, if actually goes to plan, people will say the disease was never that bad after all.  I know it’s all been said before here and I’ve been reading everyone’s experiences, but it’s still hard to get my head around it.  It’s kind of unreal guys. :(
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:18 AM »
1. Where do you live?
a medium-small town in germany
2. What is the current climate like where you're at?
social places closed, the cities urge everyone to stay home, germany closed its borders to denmark, france and austria. the supermarkets try to restock as fast as they can.
3. Are news reports coming from your area accurate or no? What is going on?
Most news are from the cities themselfes, i believe they are actually accurate.

My impression of all the shut-downs and isolation is to try and  stop hospitals from becoming overwhelmed at once and having to turn people away.  A large number of cases have required medical intervention even if they don’t lead to death.  They are just trying to slow things down to a steady trickle of manageable cases.
- from brightberry

yes, exactly that!
i know even if i got it, i will survive, but my husband and my parents can not get sick. i am very concerned i might accidentially infect someone, that is my biggest fear.
i think if we work together an everybody tries thier best avoiding places of many humans we can go thought this okay!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2020, 02:08:16 AM »
Was at the zoo yesterday and it was jam-packed with people and their kids. Way more than usual thanks to many other venues being closed.
Restaurants are open.
Mass-buying is getting a tad more obvious now at certain supermarkets. I tried to get normal salt but it was all gone at one chain so I went to another and got it.
Also popular: flour, toast, broccoli, spinach. Looks like people finally recognized the importance of green veggies but sucks for me as a non-meateater. If I was to stock up on stuff it would be frozen greens.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:33 AM »
My impression of all the shut-downs and isolation is to try and stop hospitals from becoming overwhelmed at once and having to turn people away.  A large number of cases have required medical intervention even if they don’t lead to death.  They are just trying to slow things down to a steady trickle of manageable cases.

Correct.
And it's not just about the people who have the coronavirus. It's about people who might go in for any emergency or health condition. I know each hospital will have a hierarchy of who they prioritize...

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2020, 04:26:35 AM »
This state's health department has recommended all schools in Kansas close for 1 week. A few have, but it's not mandatory… Yet. Topeka ones have deployed "response teams". And the Shawnee co. district court has suspended the majority of it's dockets.
And we've still only had 6 confirmed cases (with 1 death) out of 99 tested in this state (all from people who were traveling).
The noose really feels like it's tightening here though. To the point I may not be going to any of the larger nearby cities for quite a while.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2020, 04:57:03 AM »
Some new restrictions are being put in place in Massachusetts starting tomorrow. Among other things, all schools will be closed until April 7, gatherings of 25 people or more will be banned (grocery stores and pharmacies excluded), and restaurants and bars can only do delivery and takeout.
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2020, 05:00:02 AM »
The noose really feels like it's tightening here though. To the point I may not be going to any of the larger nearby cities for quite a while.

It depends what you are doing? As of now there's nothing against travel (domestically) anywhere.

But the CDC is recommending that not going to social gatherings of more than 50 people.

And obviously practicing social distancing (staying 3-6 ft away from people when possible) when you do go out. Don't wait for your state to just mandate something.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:05:11 AM by banditpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal