collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life and G4.5  (Read 34079 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Pony Life (Announcement)
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »
I'm a little amused they put the word "hell" in a promo video for MLP though. :silly:

And about 6 or 7 times, at that... with cartoon ponies lip-synching along. :/ Really? I’m no prude, but can we at least keep a pony cartoon aimed at pre-schoolers clean?

I am much more shocked they made a promo video showing the prototypes with eye stickers along with the newer ones with printed on eyes. And they used the eye sticker RD for a close up. Also these obvious seamlines on some of these heads, yuck.

Can't even sand that down for the promo of your toy's new look :lol:

I am not gonna get any of these jawless little cows but I will say their tinsel looks managable and I like the way the head can tilt now (LPS style) instead of just rotate. That's the only thing that justifies that human neck thing allnof them have going on now.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2019, 03:16:00 AM »
But I saw some bronies around say, in reaction to the *toy design* "Well, it looks better than G3! I'll accept any pony that isn't a G1 or G3" like what? Do you have any reasoning for that? Is it because they look like horses? Are you so anti-G3 you've become blind to what actually looks good? XD

Nah, it's because those are the successful prior generations and thus walls to be knocked down in their quest for whatever it is they want to define themselves and their generation as...

This is it exactly. G1 and G3 weren't "theirs" so automatically they are bad. It wasn't the designs of the pony toys or the cartoons, it was just the fact that it was something they could label as 'different' than their generation and therefore have something they could be against.

Hmm, I think that is true for some, but it would unfair and harsh to say that is the case for them all. In my experience with the community, the reaction to the older generations is often just the shock at the major differences; the "chunky" and more horse-like design instead of the cutesy look. Sometimes people don't enjoy seeing something they like look so vastly different. One might see that in this very thread... :lol:

Dragonflitter quoted a section of my post for clarity, but the full thing is only on page 5. I would've thought that wasn't too far back to bother reading in context, but just as a refresher about what kind of brony we're discussing here:

Quote from: Taffeta
For some reason SOME of the G4 fans think there's some kind of competition involved and that they have to destroy all the others by deriding them. Some people think that makes them better? I dunno...but it seems to be that way.

The reason they don't badmouth G2 is that they don't see it as a threat to their G4 ego.

This is not all G4 fans. Just those crazy ones.

Nobody is generalising all bronies as the same. The comment was aimed at the crazy ones, not every G4 fan.

Please don't compare this discussion to the troll behaviour of the people we're actually talking about. Also please read whole posts in context before jumping to conclusions.

Back on the subject of the promo and the song and the concept...Hasbro have been unnaturally obsessed with Pinkie Pie for a long while now. Even when it's obvious she's not selling great as a toy (at least not here) they keep pushing her. My sister, when she worked in retail, used to tell me that pony boxes had more Pinkie Pie in than any other character for many of the sets released. Now they're full scale making a show about Pinkie x 6, pretty much?

I think if the advert was just an advert for the toys, weird as they are, I wouldn't mind it, but the animated ponies I find...just...they bother me. They are basically blobs with eyes and large mouths.

(Although I do see why someone likened it to that scene in the MLP Tales opening...because that's also unnatural xD)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:24:00 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2019, 03:39:11 AM »
But...bronies will know what "two cartoons, one gen" is now, right?

:devious:

And they don't even get the "it's not canon!!!" excuse because this seems to take place somewhere between the FiM seasons when Twilight was already a Princess but Spike hasn't gotten his wings yet. It's the exact same world, so it's even closer to FiM than Tales was to MLP 'n Friends.
So delicious...

That's what we call a "midquel" these days.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 04:46:16 AM »
I'm wondering if it's going to be more of a spin-off style kind of like how RWBY Chibi is with a few canon breakers....

Midquel, bleh. I'm glad I had stopped watching TV for the most part.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
I slept on it and I feel better. I still don't like the new style, but I'm making peace with this turn of events. I am even trying to draw a character in the style. Mostly to see if I can, and if I can if it'll be easy.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »

Hmmm this made me wonder! Do we know yet if this will be an actual tv series, or is it just going to be webisodes like how they do Equestria Girls these days?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

Hmmm this made me wonder! Do we know yet if this will be an actual tv series, or is it just going to be webisodes like how they do Equestria Girls these days?

The full article says that it will air on Discovery Family.  But it doesn’t specify how long the episodes will be or how many episodes.  I also remember reading somewhere that there will be additional shorts on YouTube.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
Maybe I'm just in a weird mood rn but I watched the promo clip again and I like the animation more and more (and I think the toys are still freaky looking).

It's like these 2D designs are taylor made for whacky comedy with the crazy faces that looked, well, crazy on the FiM ponies. FiM was full of weird moments when the characters had really messed up Looney Tune stretched out expressions that didn't really work for me. It looked like a distortion of the cutesy, sleek show style.

But these are so deformed and rubbery, they just fit the tone.

I am starting to think the toys would have been better off as poseable figures. The static, mouth agape look does not have the energy the show style gives off.
It also looks like the animated counterparts don't really have these emoji faces on stick bodies, they look more round and compressed.

If they made show accurate figures of these, about Cutie Mark Crew size, I'd probably get one of RD (love the mulletawk, lol!)
Good for my wallet the actual RD brushable looks possessed, so no thanks.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
The toys look like they crossed G3.5s with Funkos and I die a little when I look at them.

(That said, Newborn Cuties still hold their place as Worst Ever MLPs in my book, ha ha.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »
I'm more than happy with Basic Fun ponies. 

This new cartoon style has never appealed to me, nor do slice of life cartoons and that's fine.  I wouldn't deny it to people who do like it.  I do hope that in some future generation ponies look like ponies again. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
The first thing I noticed was how inappropriate that song is for a MLP promo. What were they thinking?? Although...it's rather catchy. lol! The ponies are creepy as hell, though. No thank you, Hasbro.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
Excuse me while I run off to go vomit rainbows.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
Maybe I'm just in a weird mood rn but I watched the promo clip again and I like the animation more and more (and I think the toys are still freaky looking).

It's like these 2D designs are taylor made for whacky comedy with the crazy faces that looked, well, crazy on the FiM ponies. FiM was full of weird moments when the characters had really messed up Looney Tune stretched out expressions that didn't really work for me. It looked like a distortion of the cutesy, sleek show style.

But these are so deformed and rubbery, they just fit the tone.

I am starting to think the toys would have been better off as poseable figures. The static, mouth agape look does not have the energy the show style gives off.
It also looks like the animated counterparts don't really have these emoji faces on stick bodies, they look more round and compressed.

If they made show accurate figures of these, about Cutie Mark Crew size, I'd probably get one of RD (love the mulletawk, lol!)
Good for my wallet the actual RD brushable looks possessed, so no thanks.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the animation. G4 already had so many exaggerated and cartoony moments (compared to the ponies I grew up with) that this jump just isn’t that jarring to me. I can live with cartoony ponies.

But the toys... Oh the toys... They just look worse with every new promo we see. The unfinished seams are particularly obvious in the video. :/
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
The unfinished seams are particularly obvious in the video. :/

They look like they ripped them straight out the mold. I am just irked a big company wouldn't want their product to look as good as possible for such an introduction/promo thing.

Let's just hope these will have better placed tails and not "poop" them out like some FiMmies did.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »
I've seen a lot of people mention the seams, and tbh, the "2017 reboot" G4s (can't really call them "G4.5" anymore, huh?) has that too with some of the poses.

Or at least, they look like this, where it looks like it's poseable, but no, the leg is just attached like that....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal