collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life and G4.5  (Read 33544 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Pony Life (Announcement)
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »
… Haven't read the entire thread on this, but just looking at the pictures, are we sure this isn't a spoof of some kind? :huh:

Oh man, if only that were true! :snicker:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
… Haven't read the entire thread on this, but just looking at the pictures, are we sure this isn't a spoof of some kind? :huh:

I wish.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
It would've made much more sense but alas, no it isn't. There's even an ad for them but it was taken down for reasons yet-to-be-confirmed.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
Also some people have found them in stores already.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »
Also some people have found them in stores already.

Like physical or only online?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Physically.  :)  They turned up in the Philippines first, not sure if they've been found elsewhere.  There are Youtube reviews of them up already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfL8ZXKrPI

This should go without saying, but please, nobody leave a thumbs down on the video just because you dislike the toy.  :/

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2019, 02:20:08 PM »
Physically.  :)  They turned up in the Philippines first, not sure if they've been found elsewhere.  There are Youtube reviews of them up already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfL8ZXKrPI

This should go without saying, but please, nobody leave a thumbs down on the video just because you dislike the toy.  :/

Huh. Interesting, it makes sense since they presumably have their own stores.

Post Merge: December 19, 2019, 12:02:01 PM

Wasn't expecting the legs to be rubbery. Proof that pinkie pie is made out of chewing gum
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:06:21 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
Okay well I will have to revise my prior opinion.  They look pretty cute. I think the small size allows for the weird head.

Not quite cute enough to want to buy one- but they are cute. I'm sure some kid will want them.

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2019, 08:13:27 PM »
I know this is late, but seeing as I got back into my pony obsession right after seeing this news, I feel I need to finally weigh in.

If you think this looks promising, that's totally fine, I'm glad you're able to see a glimmer of hope in this. But I feel like this is a disrespect to not only FIM, but My Little Pony as an entire franchise. There doesn't look to be anything original about this, the toys look like everything marketed to girls in recent years, the show seems to be riding on TTG and Thundercats Roar. The "ponies" are bipedal and almost flat-faced, and lack any of the charming innocence that even G4 and 3.5 had.
But what's really making me upset is that a lot of people, especially on the big FIM sites, are getting defensive over people being "butthurt over a little girl's show". But that's the problem. The reason why this concept annoys me is that there seems to be no respect for the target audience. This is coming right after FIM, where, no matter your opinions on the actual show, it's clear that, at least at the beginning, the creators sought to create something cute, funny, and surprising intelligent for kids to enjoy, and a lot of its runaway success came from that. Pony Life seems to be hammering in that silly faces and screaming are all that's needed to keep kids entertained. By saying "It's just a little girl's show", people are implying that little girls don't need quality entertainment. I was a little girl once, so I know they definitely do. G3 was my childhood, and even though the stories might not have been the strongest, there was still a lot of pretty designs and sweet songs, and I loved all the pretty ponies and knew each one of them by name. FIM was my life in middle school and part of high school, due to its lighthearted but surprisingly smart stories and wide world of characters. My Little Pony has always been an important part of my life, and it saddens me to see it turned into an ugly, trying to hard to be cool, joke.

And also, Good As Hell? Really? I'm not one to complain about people swearing, but this is My Little Pony! Dark adventures and snarky humor can have its place in the franchise, as G1 and G4 have shown, but at its core, My Little Pony is all about the sweet parts in life, colorful ponies, rainbows, and other simple happy things, not saying "hell" every 5 seconds. My parents were on board with my childhood pony obsession because of their cuteness, but if they saw this trailer, I know they wouldn't allow me to watch the show. It just seems trashy and disrespectful to the MLP brand.

Sorry for this rant, I'm just upset that they're ruining the image of such an important brand that means a lot to kids and adults alike.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
I know this is late, but seeing as I got back into my pony obsession right after seeing this news, I feel I need to finally weigh in.

If you think this looks promising, that's totally fine, I'm glad you're able to see a glimmer of hope in this. But I feel like this is a disrespect to not only FIM, but My Little Pony as an entire franchise. There doesn't look to be anything original about this, the toys look like everything marketed to girls in recent years, the show seems to be riding on TTG and Thundercats Roar. The "ponies" are bipedal and almost flat-faced, and lack any of the charming innocence that even G4 and 3.5 had.
But what's really making me upset is that a lot of people, especially on the big FIM sites, are getting defensive over people being "butthurt over a little girl's show". But that's the problem. The reason why this concept annoys me is that there seems to be no respect for the target audience. This is coming right after FIM, where, no matter your opinions on the actual show, it's clear that, at least at the beginning, the creators sought to create something cute, funny, and surprising intelligent for kids to enjoy, and a lot of its runaway success came from that. Pony Life seems to be hammering in that silly faces and screaming are all that's needed to keep kids entertained. By saying "It's just a little girl's show", people are implying that little girls don't need quality entertainment. I was a little girl once, so I know they definitely do. G3 was my childhood, and even though the stories might not have been the strongest, there was still a lot of pretty designs and sweet songs, and I loved all the pretty ponies and knew each one of them by name. FIM was my life in middle school and part of high school, due to its lighthearted but surprisingly smart stories and wide world of characters. My Little Pony has always been an important part of my life, and it saddens me to see it turned into an ugly, trying to hard to be cool, joke.

And also, Good As Hell? Really? I'm not one to complain about people swearing, but this is My Little Pony! Dark adventures and snarky humor can have its place in the franchise, as G1 and G4 have shown, but at its core, My Little Pony is all about the sweet parts in life, colorful ponies, rainbows, and other simple happy things, not saying "hell" every 5 seconds. My parents were on board with my childhood pony obsession because of their cuteness, but if they saw this trailer, I know they wouldn't allow me to watch the show. It just seems trashy and disrespectful to the MLP brand.

Sorry for this rant, I'm just upset that they're ruining the image of such an important brand that means a lot to kids and adults alike.

:iconclap:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
People keep on saying this is like Thundercats Roar... but... has this show even aired yet? And if so, where can I watch it? :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
People keep on saying this is like Thundercats Roar... but... has this show even aired yet? And if so, where can I watch it? :P

We're saying the general art style. Sorry Zapper, no SparkCat Mew for you today.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
at its core, My Little Pony is all about the sweet parts in life, colorful ponies, rainbows, and other simple happy things

I would say that accurately describes G3, but definitely not G1.  (Incidentally the G3 specials were very poorly received, initially, by people who were already collecting MLPs at the time.  Basically due to G3 being as you described.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »

at its core, My Little Pony is all about the sweet parts in life, colorful ponies, rainbows, and other simple happy things

I would say that accurately describes G3, but definitely not G1.  (Incidentally the G3 specials were very poorly received, initially, by people who were already collecting MLPs at the time.  Basically due to G3 being as you described.)

This is true. But turning it trashy isn't going to help repair the damage done to it either.

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I meant from an advertising standpoint, as the G1 commercials had a gentle, whimsical tone to them despite the surprising darkness of the show, the rainbows and grassy meadows are part of the general MLP aesthetic in one form or another for most generations. What I was basically saying is that they're ditching the toyline's cute, feel good charm in favor of a "we're edgy and controversial" stance, by using a word that, while not the most explicit, feels out of place in a franchise aimed at young kids. Even when G4 used pop music to advertise, like in the old "Equestria Girls" Hub promo, they changed the lyrics to fit the pony world, and the result was clever and memorable. Ironically, in the same ad where they're trying to be sassy and "mature", the concept feels more dumbed down, albeit in a different way than G3.5.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:08:10 PM by Mrs. Prospector »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal