collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pokemon Direct : new Pokemon games! Sword / Shield  (Read 47038 times)

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Direct : new Pokemon games! Sword / Shield
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
I think (but could be wrong) unless a game is a technical disaster like Fallout 76, as long as it is a big name game most reviews are going to trend positive.

I mean, I just searched Paper Mario Sticker Star - the biggest example of a bad game in a previously great series I can think of - and IGN gave it an 8.3 out of 10. For me, that says all that needs to be said.

Reviews are not to be trusted. Trust what has been revealed about the game instead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
So, has anyone here got the game yet? Thoughts?

(Spoilers about new Pokemon, I guess)
Spoiler
Honestly I'm still not impressed, going off what I've seen on Serebii. Perrserker is so weird looking! It doesn't even look like a cat. And I wish they'd lay off gen 1 already and focus on *new* stuff instead of all these regional forms and etc.

I wonder why all the final evos for the starters are bipedal.

For some reason, a lot of these new Pokemon... I don't dislike them, exactly, or think they're bad designs. They just look sort of generic to me? Like they could've come from any other series. They don't look like Pokemon, I dunno how to explain it. Anyone else feel like this?

Looks like I'll be skipping this one. Oh well, it'll save me some money, and there's plenty of other things for me to love about Pokemon ^^ Hopefully things'll pick up in the next gen.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »
Two of my friends have it, and it looks fun despite it's technical misgivings. I'm still on the fence, and that $60 would be better used elsewhere. We'll see.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
So, has anyone here got the game yet? Thoughts?

(Spoilers about new Pokemon, I guess)
Spoiler
Honestly I'm still not impressed, going off what I've seen on Serebii. Perrserker is so weird looking! It doesn't even look like a cat. And I wish they'd lay off gen 1 already and focus on *new* stuff instead of all these regional forms and etc.

I wonder why all the final evos for the starters are bipedal.

For some reason, a lot of these new Pokemon... I don't dislike them, exactly, or think they're bad designs. They just look sort of generic to me? Like they could've come from any other series. They don't look like Pokemon, I dunno how to explain it. Anyone else feel like this?

Looks like I'll be skipping this one. Oh well, it'll save me some money, and there's plenty of other things for me to love about Pokemon ^^ Hopefully things'll pick up in the next gen.
I have Shield and while I haven't been able to got far (exploring more than following story line) I'm enjoying it. One of my friends is Meh about it and wishes they had gotten Luigi's Mansion 3 instead

Spoiler
As far as the starter finals, they did it for on gen before so it's not anything new. I wish they would consider making more than just the grass starters the ones that are quad in the future...
G1 = 2 bipedal
G2 = 2 bipedal
G3 = all bipedal
G4 = 2 bipedal
G5 = 1 bipedal, 1 quad, 1 neither
G6 = all bipedal
G7 = 2 bipedal, not sure what to count the water final as... it's not bipedal but it's not quad either....
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2019, 05:28:02 PM »
Spoiler
As far as the starter finals, they did it for on gen before so it's not anything new. I wish they would consider making more than just the grass starters the ones that are quad in the future...
G1 = 2 bipedal
G2 = 2 bipedal
G3 = all bipedal
G4 = 2 bipedal
G5 = 1 bipedal, 1 quad, 1 neither
G6 = all bipedal
G7 = 2 bipedal, not sure what to count the water final as... it's not bipedal but it's not quad either....

Spoiler
Huh, I never noticed that before. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against bipedal Pokemon (although I do wish they'd stop making every damn cat pkmn bipedal >_<), it just stuck out this time since they're all so tall! More human looking than G3's starters. ("Human" isn't really the right word, can't think of a better one though. I'd say "anthropomorphic" but I guess you could argue all Pokemon are anthropomorphic, so that doesn't seem quite right, either... /ramble)

The Sobble final evo still looks weird to me. Reminds me of the Pink Panther, for some reason.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2019, 06:52:16 PM »
My work friends all have it, I plan to split the cost of Shield with my sisters. Sounds like it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be, which is to be expected. :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
I have Sword, and I'm enjoying it. That being said, it's far from my favourite mainstream Pokemon game (especially with the hand holding making an unwelcome return - that's what annoyed me with Sun/Moon).

I've seen times range from 10-40 hours for completion. I'd say it's more like 20-25 if you take your time and enjoy every aspect of the game. I've battled every trainer, caught some 'mons, gone camping, and given myself a personal challenge (never to evolve my Sobble, who's currently at level 61).

Also, reminder for those who don't go online with their Switch - you'll need to pay extra for a Nintendo Online account. Even if you play locally, you need to be face to face with them for things like Surprise Trade (this game's equivalent of Wonder Trade). I was at the Kingdom Hearts World of Tres Orchestra last night - there was about 5-6 other people playing. I set up a ST and I saw somebody else set one up which was when I realized - there's no actual way of accepting a ST with someone. It says 'searching', but nothing ever happens. That or both our games were glitched. All I got to do was enter a Dynamax battle with someone which apparently is allowed.  Either way, I was disappointed on that front. Wonder Trading kept me going for so long back in the day, even if most of the Pokemon I got from it were awful.

My team at the end (for anyone who cares): Sobble, Corviknight, Thievul, Arctozolt, Runegrigus and Meowth (the freebie one they give you via Mystery Trade - he never evolves, but by the time I knew it I was end game and couldn't find anyone I liked enough to replace him with).

I have Shield and while I haven't been able to got far (exploring more than following story line) I'm enjoying it. One of my friends is Meh about it and wishes they had gotten Luigi's Mansion 3 instead
To be fair, LM3 is incredible! Spent over 30 hours on it so far (and I don't have access to online modes).

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
It only takes 20 hours to complete?  I feel like that's really short for a Pokemon game.  Then again, I usually try to complete the dex as much as possible when I play so maybe that's why they take me longer.  But still, I feel like it should take longer than that.

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2019, 08:33:45 AM »
I don't know that it's really any shorter than previous Pokemon games. I just think that with the Exp All being there it's extremely easy to fly through the game fast if you don't pace yourself.

I've had to stop myself and go take some time in Wild Area, raising multiple Pokemon, and also joining raid battles when I see them. I spent the majority of yesterday in the Wild Area, in fact, and I played a lot yesterday.

|My Collection|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
I don't know that it's really any shorter than previous Pokemon games. I just think that with the Exp All being there it's extremely easy to fly through the game fast if you don't pace yourself.

I've had to stop myself and go take some time in Wild Area, raising multiple Pokemon, and also joining raid battles when I see them. I spent the majority of yesterday in the Wild Area, in fact, and I played a lot yesterday.
I spent a lot of time in the wild area, battled nothing but one pokemon just to see if I can manage a shiny but 50+ later I got too sleepy to do too much else XD

I haven't done the 2nd gym yet but I have a feeling my team is going to be over powered due to the wild area honestly... I was over powered for Milo (not really because having the fire starter just swept his team). 20hrs sounds about right depending on what you are doing, I'm trying to figure out this shiny hunting mechanic since it sounds like there are 3 to 4 different ways to shiny hunt....

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2019, 04:36:00 AM »
I've been trying to figure out the shiny hunt too. The sites I read suggest that it's similar to how it is in Let's Go P/E (although I have to admit, I much prefer shiny hunting in that game - you can see if it's shiny before you battle, AND the game keeps a record of your combo for reference).

Either way, now that I've finished the game, I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep playing until I end up running back to Luigi's Mansion 3. Maybe I'll catch a shiny, and raise my team to 100 (not too much of a challenge with the Exp candies). I miss the GTS more than I thought I would  :cry:

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2019, 03:23:20 PM »
Did anyone here get Sword? I'm willing to trade Shield exclusives for Sword exclusives.

|My Collection|

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »
So apparently you can get a 7 day trial of Nintendo Online... :devious:

If I can get it up and running Harmonie, I'd be happy to trade with you! Although with Zacian I'd only be up for dex-registration (kinda fond of that one).

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
I've been trying to figure out the shiny hunt too. The sites I read suggest that it's similar to how it is in Let's Go P/E (although I have to admit, I much prefer shiny hunting in that game - you can see if it's shiny before you battle, AND the game keeps a record of your combo for reference).

Yeah, pretty odd to read how shiny hunting works. I'm watching a video from aDrive on it and the way he puts it makes sense but still in testing... I may go look for more Delibird and test that out because I was battling the heck out of them in the wild area but have not got to 100 yet

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2019, 05:28:47 AM »
So apparently you can get a 7 day trial of Nintendo Online... :devious:

If I can get it up and running Harmonie, I'd be happy to trade with you! Although with Zacian I'd only be up for dex-registration (kinda fond of that one).

I understand. I love Zacian, and I'm sad I had to get Shield, but I just had to be able to get Galarian Rapidash myself.

I have a few extra Galarian Ponytas to trade out. I'll have to look and see what else is version exclusive that people might want.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal