collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 66644 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:58 AM »
Spoiler
Twilight looks very very weird without a horn.  I don't think I could get used to her being an earth pony even if she still had magic.

Go look at Twilight Twinkle.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
When I see people here hating on bronies, I feel like I'm missing something. I don't see bronies hating on collectors, and I've never had bronies hate on me when I talk about things I liked in older gens.

Looks like you got lucky, then. :x
I wish I had never seen the bad side its not that every brony is bad its more of the fact that nobody spoke up to the bad people the death threat rap the inappropriate material that shows on safe search the doxing of a teen girl the fact that the bad people got to interview the staff the homophobia that was so rampant that slurs were thrown like beads at marti gra the fact that there was a costume based on Hitler that won a prize at a brony convention the fact that even the brony fandom is considered to be the peak of worst behavior to other fandoms
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »

Nightmare Muffin - I think this is the part of your post that's causing confusion:
MLP N' Friends had a different cast than g1

I'm guessing you meant "Tales had a different cast than MLP and Friends"? I admit I had to read it a few times before realizing what you meant, heh.

Yep, that was the bit I was drawing attention to as well. Though I'm still confused by the response it generated. I mean, we all get stuff confused from time to time.

I think everyone was just getting things a bit confused? At least, that's what it seemed like to me, idk..

I should clarify - Nightmare Muffin, I'm not trying to pick on you or anything by pointing that out, just trying to clarify what part seemed to be causing confusion since that seemed to be a bit confused (if that makes sense..). Didn't mean to single anyone out or cause an argument or anything ^^; I hope it didn't seem that way.

(Sorry for going off-topic for a second there - just realized my post could be taken the wrong way and wanted to clarify, heh)

Taffeta, I was thinking about the G1 comics too! It'll be interesting if they revisit (or well, visit in Hasbro US' case, I suppose) the idea of all ponies having magic, not just the unicorns. I do rather like that idea..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I don't like the idea of earth ponies having innate magic.  I'd be okay with them getting their magic in a different way from unicorns, like from rituals or charms or something.  Could tie it in with the toyline and sell charm bracelets.

Or have the earth ponies make pacts with otherworldly beings, like warlocks in Dungeons & Dragons.  :P  Evil ponies make pacts with Cthulhu, good ponies make pacts with powerful fey folk.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
I can understand why they wanted to make Twilight Sparkle an earth pony. Your main character is supposed to be someone viewers can relate to. It's hard to relate to a super-powered magical goddess of friendship, there's not a lot of places she can grow further. If they reboot and start her as an earth pony, they have a lot more exploration that can be done. I'm not saying she should get wings and a horn as the reboot series progresses, but they have a lot more options to work with.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
I can't see how thisis going to help their merch sales, when they've already done every gimmick under the sun for the mane6 of g4. switching some horns and wings around on the same characters, I can't see making a difference. No kid is going to want millions of copies of the same characters, with different gimmicks and parts.

Kids are only 'into' ponies for a few years.  (Even in the 80s, by the 4th grade most kids were growing out of toys like MLP and similar toys.) 

And yet, in the 1980s, Hasbro changed up the ponies to appeal to each set of kids, rather than forcing them to relive the same ponies as their predecessors. Though I disagree, a lot of the kids I knew growing up had ponies from age 3 or 4 and still played with them at age 10 or thereabouts. I was an exception, I never really let go, but most of the kids I knew stopped when they went to secondary school, and not really before.

In any case, I think personally it's more about the respect for the franchise for me. I don't want those six to be the eternal future of MLP forevermore. I want each generation to be new for each generation, even if I personally find them ugly. I don't want them to recycle my childhood for another kid :/  but most particularly, these six are especially unappealing because the market has already been (as nightmaremuffin said) flooded by them over and over and they shelf-sit.

Kids now don't want to buy them. The ponies that have vanished in stores here are the ones that aren't mane 6. Hasbro need a new mane 6 because these six are tired and old. And kids are not stupid. They want new, they don't want recycled old.

Kids unfortunately are different now. They are giving up toys and switching to electronic devices at younger and younger ages.

I still think it's not so much about the same characters as it is about the toys just looking the same. There's not much of an aesthetic difference between 4 and 4.5. And plenty of used G4s can be found on the second hand parents market. The new Equestria Girls dolls have been a hit despite being the same characters because they look nothing like the old ones. If these new ponies look nothing like the old ones despite being the same characters, they will sell well.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »
I put together an Imgur album of all the new leaked designs (plus info for season 9, new movie, series, etc):

https://imgur.com/a/O4SAk

This leak certainly has a lot more leaked design content than the previous one did! Hopefully I got everything. But there's a ton more beyond the one image that has been posted here.

Oh, that's helpful!

Well, if these are real, it really looks like they are just experimenting with new looks- probably they had different artists do a redesign - I seem to remember they did that with Rainbow Brite before the last relaunch- Hallmark even shared the concepts themselves on their facebook page (before the final design was picked).  Maybe this is like that.

I think the only race-reassignment I don't care for is Twilight's.  It just doesn't fit.

And the only concept art that I don't love, is the goofy looking ones near the bottom- the last four rows I guess...  I like the first few but agree with others they seem to detailed to be pulled off.

I'm curious to see what comes out of this, if anything.  Unfortunately, even if this is all "real" it will probably be a long time before we see anything.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
I can understand why they wanted to make Twilight Sparkle an earth pony. Your main character is supposed to be someone viewers can relate to. It's hard to relate to a super-powered magical goddess of friendship, there's not a lot of places she can grow further. If they reboot and start her as an earth pony, they have a lot more exploration that can be done. I'm not saying she should get wings and a horn as the reboot series progresses, but they have a lot more options to work with.
100% agree. It's far more relatable to kids to make her an earth pony, though I made a theory in which I speculated that an earth pony could be far more powerful than an alicorn (especially from what we've seen in g4 and how the alicorns are portrayed)
http://sayastarr.tumblr.com/post/169510591272/mlp-g5-alicorn-ascending-to-earth-pony-would-be
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
I can't see how thisis going to help their merch sales, when they've already done every gimmick under the sun for the mane6 of g4. switching some horns and wings around on the same characters, I can't see making a difference. No kid is going to want millions of copies of the same characters, with different gimmicks and parts.

Kids are only 'into' ponies for a few years.  (Even in the 80s, by the 4th grade most kids were growing out of toys like MLP and similar toys.) 

And yet, in the 1980s, Hasbro changed up the ponies to appeal to each set of kids, rather than forcing them to relive the same ponies as their predecessors. Though I disagree, a lot of the kids I knew growing up had ponies from age 3 or 4 and still played with them at age 10 or thereabouts. I was an exception, I never really let go, but most of the kids I knew stopped when they went to secondary school, and not really before.

In any case, I think personally it's more about the respect for the franchise for me. I don't want those six to be the eternal future of MLP forevermore. I want each generation to be new for each generation, even if I personally find them ugly. I don't want them to recycle my childhood for another kid :/  but most particularly, these six are especially unappealing because the market has already been (as nightmaremuffin said) flooded by them over and over and they shelf-sit.

Kids now don't want to buy them. The ponies that have vanished in stores here are the ones that aren't mane 6. Hasbro need a new mane 6 because these six are tired and old. And kids are not stupid. They want new, they don't want recycled old.

Kids unfortunately are different now. They are giving up toys and switching to electronic devices at younger and younger ages.

I still think it's not so much about the same characters as it is about the toys just looking the same. There's not much of an aesthetic difference between 4 and 4.5. And plenty of used G4s can be found on the second hand parents market. The new Equestria Girls dolls have been a hit despite being the same characters because they look nothing like the old ones. If these new ponies look nothing like the old ones despite being the same characters, they will sell well.

Nonsense! I see plenty of kids in the toy aisles, begging and screaming and asking for toys.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
Just saw this post in some other site. Can't stop laughing because it's true!

5 all look like *censored* Piglet from Whinny the Pooh
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
Spoiler-ish rant ahead.
Spoiler
That first line in the pic gives them more of a horse-like look, and I really like that. G4 took time to grow on me because of the designs, and the G4Movie designs are a step downward, in my opinion. They are breaching the uncanny valley, if not looking more like taller, candy-colored, slender pigs with upturned snouts.

Out of all of those designs, I am mostly not a fan of the change in the breeds of pony. Maybe even a little perturbed. They never gave a straight answer on how cutiemarks actually work, so naming a unicorn a name that more befits a flier is irritating. At the very least, if a pony is named and the talent accidentally fits the name, that's cool. I like that idea. That leads me to feel that it would be pretentious of Fluttershy's parents to name her something that describes a cutiemark that she hasn't gotten. It adds a whole new layer of confusion to what your special talent is in respect to your name and species. I really, really don't like that at all.

If I may~~~

Fluttershy seems like a really silly name to call a unicorn, regardless if she has butterflies on her rump. The name has more of a "flyer" ring to it, so stripping her of her wings is a bummer. I really like the idea that she was given a talent to communicate with creatures that was outside of what the show tagged as "magic", so it made her more special in general.

Pinkie being a pegasus annoys me more. Being that earth ponies have an innate magic in the current G4 show, it sets her apart from most earth ponies because of her story and growth- the magic to make people laugh. Same as Fluttershy, it made her more special as an earth pony. Making her anything else could make her completely insufferable because of her personality. Floating upside down having a manic episode or buzzing around like she is hyped on caffeine? No, thank you. We get enough of that from Rainbow Dash, and there are points where SHE even pushes that limit, and she's not the one who is designed to make people laugh.

Though, if Twilight Sparkle is losing her horn, I'd prefer her to be a different color entirely. Purple has always had "royal" connotations (Renaissance festivals and historical references FTW, yo), and if there is any reason to believe they will alicorn her again, that just wouldn't be a surprise. In that regard, Twilight being purple is rational, and is much more faithful to what the color signifies. At least with a purple unicorn the contributing factors make a little more sense. Her name also doesn't sound reasonable for a pony that doesn't have the power to actually sparkle- she has lost the "magic of friendship" so a name that sounds ethereal doesn't fit. Twilight Sparkle as a purple pony without any actual unicorn magic just doesn't suit her any more.
Applejack will forever be my favorite- she has barely changed since G1, and I'm good with that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
Spoiler-ish rant ahead.
Spoiler
That first line in the pic gives them more of a horse-like look, and I really like that. G4 took time to grow on me because of the designs, and the G4Movie designs are a step downward, in my opinion. They are breaching the uncanny valley, if not looking more like taller, candy-colored, slender pigs with upturned snouts.

Out of all of those designs, I am mostly not a fan of the change in the breeds of pony. Maybe even a little perturbed. They never gave a straight answer on how cutiemarks actually work, so naming a unicorn a name that more befits a flier is irritating. At the very least, if a pony is named and the talent accidentally fits the name, that's cool. I like that idea. That leads me to feel that it would be pretentious of Fluttershy's parents to name her something that describes a cutiemark that she hasn't gotten. It adds a whole new layer of confusion to what your special talent is in respect to your name and species. I really, really don't like that at all.

If I may~~~

Fluttershy seems like a really silly name to call a unicorn, regardless if she has butterflies on her rump. The name has more of a "flyer" ring to it, so stripping her of her wings is a bummer. I really like the idea that she was given a talent to communicate with creatures that was outside of what the show tagged as "magic", so it made her more special in general.

Pinkie being a pegasus annoys me more. Being that earth ponies have an innate magic in the current G4 show, it sets her apart from most earth ponies because of her story and growth- the magic to make people laugh. Same as Fluttershy, it made her more special as an earth pony. Making her anything else could make her completely insufferable because of her personality. Floating upside down having a manic episode or buzzing around like she is hyped on caffeine? No, thank you. We get enough of that from Rainbow Dash, and there are points where SHE even pushes that limit, and she's not the one who is designed to make people laugh.

Though, if Twilight Sparkle is losing her horn, I'd prefer her to be a different color entirely. Purple has always had "royal" connotations (Renaissance festivals and historical references FTW, yo), and if there is any reason to believe they will alicorn her again, that just wouldn't be a surprise. In that regard, Twilight being purple is rational, and is much more faithful to what the color signifies. At least with a purple unicorn the contributing factors make a little more sense. Her name also doesn't sound reasonable for a pony that doesn't have the power to actually sparkle- she has lost the "magic of friendship" so a name that sounds ethereal doesn't fit. Twilight Sparkle as a purple pony without any actual unicorn magic just doesn't suit her any more.
Applejack will forever be my favorite- she has barely changed since G1, and I'm good with that.

1) Yay for horsey designs!

2) This is not the first time ponies have changed species. Fluttershy was originally a pink Earth Pony. Twilight Sparkle's predecessor was originally a purple Earth pony named Twilight Twinkle. If you look her up, you'll see that Sparkle is nearly a dead ringer for Twinkle. Purple being a royal color means zip, zero, zilch in every generation of MLP. If the G3 kids can get over the species swap, so can others.

3) Maybe they're going back to the way the old symbols were. They're just there. Cutie mark=destiny was a dumb, rigid premise to introduce so late into the franchise anyway impo.

4) There are lots of ponies whose name would fit a different species. Skyflier would better suit a Pegasus, Flutter or Winger, but she's a unicorn and that's fine.
Wave Runner would better suit a sea pony or merpony, but she's a pegasus. And so on and so on.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

This is very true! Kids have a lot more competing for their attention today compared to the '80s. I think you make a good point about kids always wanting something new. In MLP, "new character" most of the time means the same toy you already own but with a different color scheme. I can see how kids can lose interest quickly. This is likely why Hasbro would rather make many different versions of the same character (in different sizes, with different gimmicks etc.) rather than figures that are all the same but with different color schemes. The average kid probably won't get much more than 6 ponies from the same range anyway.

It seems like with these new designs, they are trying to give each character a more unique look compared to before, which might be a good move.

Seeing all these different concepts is a real treat, regardless of what they final designs will look like. Most of them are beautiful! I'm especially liking the Raritys with white/gradient in her hair. I'm hoping they add more things like that that helps separate them further from their FIM counterparts.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:39:20 PM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Bewilderbeast

• Captain Jack Pony
  • contextual tomato consumption
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
Spoiler
I think what they're going to do with Earth Pony!Twilight is that she's going to have magic despite being an Earth Pony and the plot is going to hinge around that.
Call me Pixie!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
if you open the picture in another window it loads, but very very slowly. 4mB file and I presume the server is getting hammered with fetch requests.  Lemme see if I can wrangle up a smaller one.

Edit: Click on the spoiler for a smaller version of the G5(?) concept leak #2.
Spoiler

What I find most interesting is what all these pieces have in common.
Spoiler
The species are consistent across all of the pieces.  This leads me to believe certain changes have been requested by the art team / director.  Note that Twilight is an earth pony in every single one, Pinkie is a pegasus and Fluttershy changed into a unicorn.  6-7 concept artists don't all suddenly do exactly those changes at random.  Also interesting is RD has *big* wings in every single one, while Pinkie has notably undersized/odd wings.  Every Applejack has 'natural horse' markings.  All the Twilights have fluffy fetlocks, and every pony features distinct hooves unlike G4.  Also every single piece here is huge, and someone's gone to a fair bit of trouble sizing and arranging them all.  If I had to guess, for a presentation.

Wow I am in LOVE with the ones in row 4. They are very sleek and cartoony but still more unique and dynamic than the original row 1.

The only ones I do not like at all are last row and the ones that keep the stubby snouts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal