collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flatfoot vs concave ponies  (Read 2122 times)

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Flatfoot vs concave ponies
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:45 AM »
I'm just curious as I recently acquired flat foot Minty and Blossom...

Are the flat footed ponies more rare/sought-after/valuable than their concave footed counterparts?

Also I was intrigued by the physical differences. The flatfoot ponies have shorter front legs and lower head positions and those funny feet that are not only flat but curiously asymmetric and randomly shaped (the hoofprint)

Both my Blossom and my Minty arrived with the washers loose. I've only cleaned Minty so far but when I did I took them out. Goodness those are some big chunks of metal! And now Minty faceplants at the slightest opportunity which my children find hilarious and I find adorable.

Are there any other differences?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:14:47 AM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Flatfoot vs concave ponies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:24:22 AM »
Flat foot ponies are I believe the original ponies molds. The concave ponies were the redesigns of the molds and were sold later. So there are color and design differences between those and the concave foot ones.

The designers who worked on the original ponies always think it's funny how they are so easy to tip over. XD
~Foxtale~

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
Like Foxtale said, FFs are the original molds. I believe Hasbro changed them to CF because they wanted their name to be on the pony for as long as possible, and the stamp in the hoof wouldn't wear off as easily if it was not flat to the ground. They did make the front legs longer and her head held more high for the CF. I believe they altered the pose like this because they realized the FF pose can face plant at a whim. Minty, Blossom, Snuzzle, Bluebelle, Cotton Candy, and Butterscotch might raise in price a bit if they are FF. Not sure though. But, I believe Lemon Drop fetches a higher price if she is FF? Don't know about Peachy. Oh, and fun fact that is kind of related: They recarved the collectors pose again for Swirly Whirly. They made the pose be thinner, have longer legs, and hold her head even higher. And of course added her 3D symbol :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
FF Lemon Drop is still a rumour. It's been a rumour for 20 years or more but still no actual evidence has surfaced so at this point her existence is a bit doubtful. There's a Chinese one confirmed for LD but not a FF.

Peachy tends to come up more rarely with FF than with regular. I am not convinced that the UK had her, I think she's got an association with the MPP and the early releases in the US (and maybe other places unconfirmed) because we tended to be a little behind with some releases and especially at the beginning. Makes sense there'd be no more FF in the system by the time she happened. I think because of that she sells a little higher as the distribution isn't like regular Peachy is. But not hugely expensive.

The others - as far as I understand for the UK, we had the original FF set on card, probably the same as the US, probably imported in late 82-into 83. Someone has a catalogue image. I can't be sure on the card because the 84 set (y2 earth ponies, Seashell's set) in the UK have the US artwork on the front and then a weird version of it featuring only earth ponies on the back. Of course, MOC ponies on sale generally get their fronts photographed, not so much the back ;) so I don't know if the same applies for those.

The CF ones...Cotton Candy and Blossom came out in the 1984 set. Butterscotch between about 84 and 86 with the Gymkhana. Snuzzle weirdly appears with the Grooming Parlour in 87, she's also in Argos and specific offers relating to that. I think Bluebelle is in Argos as well. Minty...not a clue. She's here, but dunno how or why.

Probably if you get a good condition FF pony then it would be worth a little more because of that original status. But I don't think it's hugely different except with Peachy where the FF price isn't a lot higher, but the regular price is...very low.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
FF Lemon Drop is still a rumour. It's been a rumour for 20 years or more but still no actual evidence has surfaced so at this point her existence is a bit doubtful. There's a Chinese one confirmed for LD but not a FF
Totally confused Lemon Drop with Peachy there for a moment. Oops! :blush:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »
Today when I was sorting through my collection, I came across this mystery flat footed Butterscotch.  I have no idea where I got her from!  Unlike a normal FF, she has no markings on her hooves at all.  Am genuinely confounded as to her history and origin.  Have any of you seen a FF like this before?  ANy information would be greatly appreciated!  :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
IMO flat-foot Lemon Drop doesn't exist.  I've never seen one or known someone how owned her.

I can see where people would think it was logical for her to exist, because FF Peachy DOES exist.  But FF Lemon Drop just doesn't. :)

As far as which is more sought after or worth more, that's a good question!  I honestly don't know.  For my personal collection, I prefer the concave foot ponies because they tend to be more vibrant and they don't fall on their noses as easily.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Today when I was sorting through my collection, I came across this mystery flat footed Butterscotch.  I have no idea where I got her from!  Unlike a normal FF, she has no markings on her hooves at all.  Am genuinely confounded as to her history and origin.  Have any of you seen a FF like this before?  ANy information would be greatly appreciated!  :)

Starstrider, I need to do some research, but at a glance with those eyelashes, hair and no hoof markings my first thought with your butterscotch is that she might be Mexican?

Post Merge: October 01, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

Quick research done, and yes, I am thinking Mexican (Auriken specifically) for you starstrider. Below is literally copy and pasted from mylittlewiki:

Mexican ponies were made and sold in Mexico. Initially the ponies were licensed to/made by a company called Lily Ledy, such ponies have clear hoof marks that say "Lily Ledy" and "Made in Mexico". This company made only the first six ponies, but then their factory burnt down and Hasbro then gave the license to a company called Auriken (who also made versions of the first six).

Lily Ledy versions of the first six are more rare than Auriken ones.
Auriken ponies have no marks on their hooves, their hooves are either completely flat or concave.
Because of the different factories the first six ponies made in Mexico are sometimes not even referred to as Mexican, but in reference to their production company. Ie "Lily Ledy Minty" or "Auriken FF Butterscotch" (aka "Mexican FF Butterscotch"), whereas later ones are just "Mexican Firefly". Any non- first six Mexican pony is also an Auriken pony, so calling it "Mexican" is enough.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:00:30 PM by Marlin »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
To those that collect both versions, a FF might fetch a bit more than a concave, if they were otherwise in the same condition.  FF's are fewer in number than their later versions, but don't achieve particularly high prices because they have readily available concave counterparts.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

Starstrider, I need to do some research, but at a glance with those eyelashes, hair and no hoof markings my first thought with your butterscotch is that she might be Mexican?

Post Merge: October 01, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

Quick research done, and yes, I am thinking Mexican (Auriken specifically) for you starstrider.

Thank you so much for this!  She's my first Mexican pony, so I was unfamiliar with the characteristics.  Am looking forward to adding to my Mexican herd.  Thanks again!  :)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »
No worries!  ^.^

Mexican ponies are fun - my Mexi Applejack and Bow Tie, simple as they are, are among my favourite members of my G1 herd  :satisfied:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal