collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: should Hasbro be capitalizing on nostalgia?  (Read 6487 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: should Hasbro be capitalizing on nostalgia?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
I hugely dislike when G4 stuff is imposed on G1. I despise the words everypony and cutie mark, especially the latter if it is used in relation to a pony before G3. I hate the word brony, and when it was around, pegasister, because those terms belong to something far newer than what I belong to. When I was first online, we were 'ponypeople' because of the mailing list of that name. As for the FIM animation, I have never been able to get into it.  Because of all of those feelings I have,  I sort of understand why people in G4 fan communities would resent it if suddenly a whole lot more G1 stuff was dumped into it just to get us interested. For me, MLP in each generation is centred on the children who are the target audience. G1 is irrelevant to most young kids, so therefore it is irrelevant in FIM. Obviously adults choose to watch it, but I really believe that MLP ought to be targeted at the children first and foremost.

I am biased in the fact that I am from the UK and I grew up with the comics. They were my canon growing up, although for most of us who grew up with G1 we didn't play with ponies according to any canon, we just played with them and made up our own games (even our own names at times). I think that's part of this whole how we conceptualise the generations thing, to be honest. Because fans of the older generation had to use their imagination more to define their toys, and did, there's not really a collective "canon". The animated series only goes so far and the UK comics mostly contradict those characters. Some backcards are the same between countries and some are not. Some ponies were only available in certain countries, while others appeared in different forms in different places. It is a totally different kind of pony world to the very conformist FIM show world, where the toys are shunned if they have the wrong style of hair. That kind of idea doesn't go with G1 at all, where Hasbro really created variations for no apparent reason, and changed names, backcard stories and concepts on a whim for different markets.

In the UK, for example, Magic Star is the most magical pony in Ponyland. In the movie, she's a responsible but fairly generic earth pony. The UK Shady has magic that creates psychadelic illusions, whereas in the animation, she lacks confidence, and is very negative. Even the translated names for this pony into French suggest different story nuances. The Canadian name, I believe, is Petit Ombre (little shadow) while the French name on my movie star pony's card is "Incognito".

With all these variations in the old pony canon/s, the question of nostalgia does come down to whose nostalgia are we talking about? The current kids? They have none. The adults? But from which year? Which country? Which story background? Which design? G1 was endlessly creative in its variations, even to a point beyond logic and common sense.

I think it's a very FIM community attitude to believe there needs to be animation of some kind to make a community tangible. We're not used to that way of seeing things, though, because we've never had it, nor needed it. And perhaps that is the real place where there is a conflict of views...

When I mentioned the idea of a collector pony above, I genuinely meant a high quality collector pony, not something like the last lot (which were only available in some places anyway). Something that would be constructed of materials that would make it really worth the investment, something to really honour the old pony line. I would still like Ruby for the Ruby Anniversary, but Hasbro US wouldn't be listening to that. I just think that there's so much that could be done with a Princess Pony to make an epic collector figure, especially if it was with both bushwoolie AND dragon.

Dollymix G1 sold pretty well here, I think, but I don't think they were global?

As for bringing back G1 in general, I consider that pretty much a pipe dream. I've accepted my ponies disappeared in 1994 and nothing will bring them back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »

I think the G1 re-releases, even if they were exactly the same, would do much better now. During the time they were released it was still easy to find G1s at yard sales and thrift stores inexpensively. Now the supply has dried up a lot and it's much harder to find even "common" G1s as cheaply. Tho I do think a big mistake was focusing on sets. They should have included a variety of different types similar to the Party Packs G1 had.

Yes, even now we could find most of those same characters for roughly $5 in decent condition.  So they chose very common characters to re release,  the quality wasn't great and you had to buy them in sets of 3 instead of individually.  Also, they were competing against all of the new G3.  As a collector, if you only have $30 to spend would you spend it on a rerelease set of ponies you already own the originals of or brand new G3 ponies?

I think it might be different now just because G4 doesn't look nearly as close to g1 as G3 does.  And at the same time, many collectors are not buying new G4 stuff because of the constant rerelease so of the mane 6/ princess etc. 

I have more to add to this discussion later but my break is over.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
Oh, I should clarify, I think G1 rereleases would probably do better this time round, too. There's been more time since G1 so more time for people to buy them based off nostalgia (if that makes sense?), G1s and G4s are very different and there aren't nearly as many different G4 characters as there were for G3, so there's less conflict there, and also I think.. for us, the collectors, we'd have more of an idea what to expect (how to put this.. like, I think the problem a lot of people had with the G1 re-releases was the quality? We already know what the quality would probably be like if they did another re-release, so if they did and it was the same quality, oh well, that's what we expected; if it was better it'd be a pleasant surprise? If that makes sense?), so there'd be less disappointment and thus people would be more likely to buy them. Or something. (I know what I mean, just not sure how to word it)

I meant that since they flopped last time, Hasbro would probably be less willing to try again with G1 rereleases, which is fair enough really; they're a company, they need to make money and if they lost out the last time, it makes sense they wouldn't want to do that again. That's what I was trying to say before ^^; If they did do some more G1 re-releases I would buy them, if they were available over here, that is.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
I honestly would not buy retro G1s if they were the same quality as last time.  They were terrible.  I've seen fakies with better hair.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:28:07 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »
I honestly would not buy retro G1s if they were the same quality as last time.  They were terrible.  I've seen fakies with better hair.

Man, were they really that bad? D: I've never seen one in person, just photos.

If they did release some retro ponies I'd probably get one just to support the idea if nothing else, haha.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
They really were.  They were made with gross, hardish plastic, their eyes were slightly "off" (I don't know how else to describe them), their hair was low quality, their hair was also super thin (which made them prone to tipping forward on their noses), and their symbols seem to rub off easily since I keep finding them in thrift stores with their symbols half-gone.  Aaaand they didn't have forelocks, which I consider an essential trait of non-unicorn G1s.

The kindest thing I can say about them is that they were the first ponies in a long time with symbols on both sides and they reused lovely G1 artwork from a G1 pamphlet.  So . . . that part was nice?  LOL.  I'd rather pay more money and get better quality.

It's possible the Rainbow pony retros had better quality, but unfortunately I never saw them in stores.  My assumption is that the first retros sold poorly, so retailers didn't take a chance on the Rainbow ponies.

I actually would be super interested if someone who has both retro sets compared the Rainbow set to the Collector pony sets.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:47:10 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
Alright, I'm back.

So in regards to the title.. They already are in a way.  Maybe they don't produce the merchandise directly but they do license the "retro" art to other companies.  That must be making them a little something and they don't even have to put anything into it.  Though I wish they would use more of the original artwork instead of the "retro" clip art.

As for G4,  I've actually advocated for a long time that they should release a line of g1 characters in G4 style.  The character designs are enough nostalgia for me while the G4 mold makes it different enough that I don't feel like I'm buying a cheap knock off of the original.

I would love it if they would put g1 characters in the background of the show if just because they would be closer to being made into a toy.  But I think I'd like them as background only, not major characters.  Like the comic does it.  I really like the way the comic throws in g1 referances.

Now the down side to that is when they design a character in an unappealing way.  Like Moondancer.  I like that they used the g1 version instead of the G3 version.  But I didn't like that they made her yellow instead of white.  And I liked it even less that they designed her wearing a sweater.  The importance of "show accuracy" in this gen means that when we do get a Moondancer toy, they will always include her wearing that aweful sweater.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »
I'm just happy that there IS a current generation of Pony and that they harken back to the original at least in recycling names and some colors at all.  In the 80s I didn't like G1s (it was those awful commercials!) and I would never have turned back to see how wonderful G1s really are if not for the wonderfulness of G4.

I think it's important, while still keeping our own opinions and preferences, to accept what pan-generational stuff has been brought into the current gen, and rejoice.  Ponies, Rejoice.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
LadyMoondancer - aaa, that's terrible! I knew they were lower quality but I had no idea they were THAT bad :( Ugh. I'd be interested in seeing comparison pics, too.

Sunset - I wish they'd make more stuff with the original art instead of the 'retro' art, too. Especially since some of the retro art has their designs wrong.. I like the Moonstone shirt I mentioned earlier on but it does bother me that they depicted her with a white body instead of blue :P And I've seen a few things that have Fizzy with normal eyes instead of Twinkle Eyes. That sort of thing.
(I hate G4 Moondancer's sweater, too :P And those eyebrows.. and how yellow she is.. But they tried, I guess, haha.)

In the 80s I didn't like G1s (it was those awful commercials!)

Haha, I'm the other way around, I think G4 ads are worse (though they have been getting better recently). They're too noisy and flashy X3 Not to say the G1 ads are all perfect, but at least they're... quieter? haha.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
I would love some of the old toys to come back.  Honestly, the retro Strawberry Shortcakes are awesome even when sold with the new dolls.  Something like that for ponies would be incredible.  I haven't watched G4 in years now, I don't particularly care if some Bronies have issues with it.  There is no exclusivity when it comes to pony fans.  Bring on the G1s!  :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
I would love some of the old toys to come back.  Honestly, the retro Strawberry Shortcakes are awesome even when sold with the new dolls.  Something like that for ponies would be incredible.  I haven't watched G4 in years now, I don't particularly care if some Bronies have issues with it.  There is no exclusivity when it comes to pony fans.  Bring on the G1s!  :)

Yay bring back a clutch of G1s!! I'm deffo for it, come on, Hasbro, release an anniversary set!  :lol:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
I would love some of the old toys to come back.  Honestly, the retro Strawberry Shortcakes are awesome even when sold with the new dolls.  Something like that for ponies would be incredible.

Funny thing is the retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls actually did better than the new style dolls. At this year's toy fair there was no sign of any new dolls in the new style (and sadly it seems the Sweet and Sour Grape Sisters were dropped) but there were a few new retro style characters.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
The 'I'm a my little pony mommy' refrain is kind of terrifying. I like the old ads for sightings of prototypes though. The best g4 advert I saw was actually another store using Rarity as a fashion icon.

I wish Primark had not sequinned Windy in such a bad way, and I hated the name Princess Sparkle appearing on shirts of my birthstone princess Amethyst, but overall I think the ongoing interest from that company is a good thing. We are kind of spoiled to have any g1 stuff around really.

I actually would go for a line of collector g1 in g4 moulds, so long as they were not the newest cartoony ones. I am just not in favour of trying to rehash g1 as g1 because I think it would be more diaappointing to see them on shelves than people think. But I guess it depends hiw much childhood nostalgia influences you in that aspect.

Edit to correct my tablet's creative spelling.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:18:51 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »
The 'I'm a my little pony mommy' refrain is kind of terrifying. I like the old ads for sightings of prototypes though. The best g4 advert I saw was actually another store using Rarity as a fashion icon.

I once saw a Dutch commercial on YouTube for I think the original six. I don't know about the English version, but the Dutch one mentioned something about "pampering them quietly". Not sure how bad it sounds in English, but in Dutch it sounds extremely wrong. :crazy:

*scurrying off now, since I have nothing useful to add to this thread* :lookround:

He knows that they're the fool...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »

I once saw a Dutch commercial on YouTube for I think the original six. I don't know about the English version, but the Dutch one mentioned something about "pampering them quietly". Not sure how bad it sounds in English, but in Dutch it sounds extremely wrong. :crazy:

*scurrying off now, since I have nothing useful to add to this thread* :lookround:

Well, there aren't many UK G1 adverts surviving from the 1980s, but one of the ones for ponywear that does makes a joke on Bow Tie being naked, so I guess Europe kind of went to town on this.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal