collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it even worth my time selling ?  (Read 1655 times)

CrumpetMLP

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it even worth my time selling ?
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »
I haven't been on these boards actively in years! I have skimmed over the for sale area, and it seems like it's really hard to sell stuff these days!

I have a massive G1 & G3 collection I need to thin out, and now I'm wondering if it's even worth my time to bother selling any of it? It's so sad to see just how far down the value of mlp has gone. Any suggestions on what I can do? It just about kills me to think of all the hard work I put into my collection, and all of the $$ spent for things to be worth so little. What happened???? No more mlp love?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Is it even worth my time selling ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
I think most people would agree that the price of MLP (G1) has gone up and continues to do so, depending on the pony, the condition,and the location from/to which it's being sold.
G3 has never really had a resale value except certain rarer ponies and I don't know if that will ever change as time passes. But people mostly complain about the rising prices and cost of G1 ponies...so I think it probably depends what you have to sell.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
I think part of the issue is that the pony collectors have been scattered to the winds.
There are plenty of us out there, but we all hang out in different spots. Getting the word out that you have XYZ Pony for sale is harder.

The traffic on the Arena seems to be a lot less than a few years ago (sadly!).
There was HUGE traffic on the FB Arena page, but it was deactivated and now there are several tiny sattelite groups with only a handful of members each. I don't really know what the answer to that is but I'd advise spreading the word wide and far if you plan to sell.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
I think G3s will eventually climb in value, but by "eventually" I mean "years from now."  G1s are worth something, but it seems like it takes longer to find a buyer than it used to.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I'm looking for a rather large lot of mlps. Any in my wishlist I'd like to acquire so if your interested in getting rid of a bunch and have any on my wishlist I'd be interested.

CrumpetMLP

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
I don't even know where to go besides here- is ebay still a decent option? FB groups? I'm in a few, but they just don't seem very active. How come the FB group was deactivated?

I have a ton. I literally mean...a ton. I may have more than 600 (I met even have reached the quadruple digit mark). *blush* And that's just G1. I have $9k in debt I need to pay, and was hoping I could help pay that down by selling my beloved ponies. I have a pretty solid US collection and lots of foreign ponies. I have tooons of rare accessories, playsets, and clothing. I have a ton of G3 extras, so sad they aren't worth more- I really love them! I also have some G2 and G4.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:38:15 PM by CrumpetMLP »

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
im always looking for G1s
also if you cant find buyers on here, Ebay lots usually get bid up pretty high

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »
I basically have to Give away G3s with the Free Shipping lure.  Otherwise no interest.

Like others have said I think G1s still have value.  To make the most money you'll have to list and sell them individually which is a Lot Of Work. 

The MLP market isn't for money makers where ever you go ... I don't think it ever has been.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
eBay is good, as long as you use BINs instead of running regular auctions.  Research prices by searching for completed auctions and take as nice of pictures as possible. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
Depends how much your time is worth :)

I recommend selling in huge lots. Yes you will take a loss, but the alternative is many many hours of your time... if you enjoy doing that kind of thing, great! Otherwise...

CrumpetMLP

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice and comments! I do enjoy making them look really nice and do like selling individually. I can also do lots- especially for commons and the not so perfect ponies. I really need $$ so I guess I have a mission! I'll likely post on here to test things out.

I'd still love more feedback/comments!

I should have taken my G3 to our local consignment sale, they've always sold really well there! I just didn't have time this last round. Poor G3.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
I wish there was more G3 love, too. They,re so varied and pretty (well, up until the core seven business started). Good luck with your sales!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
I'm always hunting for the more rare G1 ponies; finding them is another matter entirely. You could always make a list and see what the current prices on ebay are, at least to use as a base line. Posting a price check list for the ones you don't find can be a good idea as well. As folks have already stated, it'll take some time, and the G1 line can be rather varied for pricing - common ponies are just that, so they don't fluctuate all that much, though there are some whose prices I look at and wonder what the seller is thinking. :lol:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
I reference these two lists a-lot, though not all ponies are on them, and it's hard to say what's been updated and what hasn't

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/PRICE/
http://colorsponies.webs.com/g3rarityindex.htm

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:43:28 PM »
I'm not sure how much this helps, but I'm a very new G1 collector so even "common" ponies are of interest to me. I'd definitely be interested in seeing your listings! I'd personally prefer individual ones but I do notice a lot of people here seem to like lots, which makes sense.
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal