collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It's been years- help me with some rust?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
It's been years- help me with some rust?
« on: April 16, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
Hello!

So the other day I got some pony mail, and today while examining a "dirty" looking pony, I noticed the ol' familiar tinge of orange/brown around her tail... She didn't rattle or anything, but I confirmed it upon yanking her head off: rust! Now, it's been a minute since I restored any old toys, but last thing I remember, I think we were using Oxy Clean or something to clean out rusty ponies. Is that still correct? I'd hate to dump this girl in a bath and ruin her. (She is a TE if that makes any difference, though I suppose I could wash out her head without submerging it in OC.)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: It's been years- help me with some rust?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
Hot water, a tooth brush, and q tips works really well. I got two glitter baby ponies that were brown with rust, and anti bacterial soap worked wonders. I use palmovlie.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
oxiclean is baaaaaad news for TE!!! 

use toothpaste to remove rust gently.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the headsup, lovesbabysquirmy! I thought I remembered oxiclean being bad for TEs- and princess ponies, right?

I ended up cleaning her with toothpaste, a baby toothbrush, and dish soap. I got most of the rust out of the body and all out of the head... Might actually do an oxi bath just for the body to get the rest of the rush from her rear legs and butt.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
On very good advice i use straight liquid laundry detergent for removing rust from tails, bbe eyes and anywhere else. Take the rusty tail out by pulling it through the body and get rid of that rusty washer, soak the tail for an hour on the soap and use toothbrush. Some use a tie wrap on the tail to secure it (pull the tail back in through the pony!usimg a bit of wire); i tried nylon washer or even nothing n it works great so long as the crimp goes sideways.  Just dont put iron back in there.

Is it true oxy is bad for te ponies? I didnt know that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:50:29 PM by lostpony »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
Yes Oxiclean will take off the shiny coating on TE eyes, also it destroys the metallic finish on the Princess Ponies.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
Thats great to know!

I was shocked to see a te that still had its coating, at first i thought they had all worn away. So much better with the coating. It woulda been very disappointing to find out oxy damages it the hard way.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
It removes paint on these ponies.  What I do when I have rust issues in hard to reach areas is pour a little oxi clean into their body, like into their feet, than pour in some hot water and let it bubble.  Then rinse it out.  I do this with any pony who reacts badly to oxi-clean like the guys you mentioned and ones with chartreuse hair.  Just fyi, whitening toothpaste (paste, not gel) seems to work best.

Thanks for the headsup, lovesbabysquirmy! I thought I remembered oxiclean being bad for TEs- and princess ponies, right?

I ended up cleaning her with toothpaste, a baby toothbrush, and dish soap. I got most of the rust out of the body and all out of the head... Might actually do an oxi bath just for the body to get the rest of the rush from her rear legs and butt.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal