collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you found a super expensive pony, would it be wrong to sell for cheap​?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Hypothetical question:

Like, let's say you found Rapunzel or Mimic or Lightning at a thrift store or swapmeet for three bucks. They aren't perfect, maybe a noticeable, but not extreme hair cut, a pen mark here and there, a scratched symbol.

They aren't your cup of tea and you'd like to give a fellow pony fan a chance to own it without making the lucky buyers wallet beg for mercy.

Would it be wrong, or at least "seem" suspicious to sell it  in double digits instead of triple? Like maybe $20-$40

Cuz you know that old adage, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Or offering to trade it so you can have a pony for far less then its value but your both happy.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:01:04 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Sure thing, you could absolutely do that. Though the buyer could end up flipping it soon as they get it.

It might seem suspicious, but with paypal protections and stuff, I wouldn't be too worried.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I think that it's a good idea and I maybe would explain why the price, but I'm pretty sure, someone wouldn't think twice and take it.
The real problem to me, isn't the vendor, but more the ones who could catch it to sell at higher price after, ruining the first initiative  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Cool. As far as flipping it, once it's in their hands, they can do what they like. That's just my opinion personally and for all I know, that pony could have helped them pay off some bills or for a college fund or something.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:15:25 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
So, this isn't quite what you asked...

If I found a rare second hand pony at a flea market-- I'd be more likely to give the person who is selling it a fair price. Maybe not the full amount but I'm not going to take advantage of them either. (Probably not so much with a thrift store. )

I've gotten to do that in the past, and it's really a good experience. :)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
I would do that for a friend, somebody I knew wanted the pony for their collection. I don't think I'd tell a vendor an actual collector value on a pony, it's on them to research and presumably they've priced it at a markup they'll be happy with

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I know it's not the same as a 3 digit G1 but I've found some pricier G4's that I could have sold on ebay for a good price and instead sold them on here for $5 or traded them here for other ponies or 80's toys I collect. I feel like it is a win win, especially the trades because I get some items that I'm after and I'm able to help someone else out.

My only concern would be someone flipping it to make a profit. Yeah they can do whatever they want with it once they own it but I could have sold it for full price to help my family out too and instead decided to help another collector fulfill their dream. That would be super shady and upsetting if someone got it from me cheap for the sole purpose of flipping it.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I'd probably try to gift it to a friend, or someone I knew would keep it in their collection - yeah, it's their choice to flip it if they want, but I would rather it go to a home where it would be loved! :heart: I have a couple of pony-collecting pals, and I like to keep an eye out for deals for them when I can! :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
The hardest part to me in that kind of hypothetical situation is how do you decide who to sell it to? Like, if its a desirable pony, odds are you know several people who are looking for it...so who gets it?  The person whp responds first, rhe one you are closest to, the one who lives in the area and, if luck had been with them, might have found it instead of you, or maybe maybe the one you know has been looking for it forever?

Thays why I've always sold more valuable ponies through auctions, including trades in the pricing usually; its too hard to decide who gets it any other way.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Sure, that'd be fine as long as you sell it to me.

Otherwise of course not, what were you thinking?!?

Seriously though it'd have to be to someone you know isn't going to turn around and sell it, in which case you could sell it yourself and use the money to buy lots of less valuable ponies and just give them away to lots of people instead of just one.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I did that a few years ago at the Fair.  I had several Mimics that I'd gotten cheaply and had sold all but one.  She was priced fairly for her condition, and a little girl had been eyeing her all weekend.  Finally her parents asked how much she was, and said they'd go to the hotel's ATM to get the rest of the cash they needed, because the little girl had seen Mimic's Golden Horseshoes episode and fallen in love.  When the found out that the ATM had actually run out of money due to the number of Fair attendees withdrawing from it, I sold them Mimic for whatever cash they had on hand and the little girl's promise that she'd love Mimic forever. 

So, no, it's not wrong unless the money you're missing out on is some that you need for a vitally important purchase, in which case it wouldn't be monetarily responsible to sell it for less (like if you're paying off a bill and the full amount of the pony would cover it, etc.) but would still be perfectly alright to do so if you wanted.  Your pony, your call. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
The hardest part to me in that kind of hypothetical situation is how do you decide who to sell it to? Like, if its a desirable pony, odds are you know several people who are looking for it...so who gets it?  The person whp responds first, rhe one you are closest to, the one who lives in the area and, if luck had been with them, might have found it instead of you, or maybe maybe the one you know has been looking for it forever?

Thays why I've always sold more valuable ponies through auctions, including trades in the pricing usually; its too hard to decide who gets it any other way.

First come, first served I guess?

Post Merge: April 12, 2017, 08:29:21 AM

I did that a few years ago at the Fair.  I had several Mimics that I'd gotten cheaply and had sold all but one.  She was priced fairly for her condition, and a little girl had been eyeing her all weekend.  Finally her parents asked how much she was, and said they'd go to the hotel's ATM to get the rest of the cash they needed, because the little girl had seen Mimic's Golden Horseshoes episode and fallen in love.  When the found out that the ATM had actually run out of money due to the number of Fair attendees withdrawing from it, I sold them Mimic for whatever cash they had on hand and the little girl's promise that she'd love Mimic forever. 

So, no, it's not wrong unless the money you're missing out on is some that you need for a vitally important purchase, in which case it wouldn't be monetarily responsible to sell it for less (like if you're paying off a bill and the full amount of the pony would cover it, etc.) but would still be perfectly alright to do so if you wanted.  Your pony, your call.

That's a wonderful story. ^.^

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I have always dreamed of finding a spendy pony like that and putting it in the prize box at a local pony meet. Someone did it with Blue Ribbon at the Wisconsin Meet, and it has been a dream of mine since then.

Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
Someone here found a Big Brother 4-Speed with his hat and bandana in a thrift store and raffled it for a good cause. That was years ago, but I remember so well because I was the lucky one who won him :) I had never won anything before that and I am still smiling everytime I see the little guy on the shelf. It is a very happy memory connected to this wonderful community and he will always have a special place in my heart and will forever stay in my collection!
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I mean it might come across as suspicious. But all that means is you'll have to find a buyer that either trusts you or is willing to take that risk. If that's what you do want to do with your own pony though you should.

I personally wouldn't do it because I have massive student loans, and would rather sell to pay them off. But at the same time, I would be super happy if someone else did that with a pony I wanted because it would mean I have a chance to get them before my loans are paid off in hopefully 12 years lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal