collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Educate Me on G1 Porcelain Ceramic Figures  (Read 1799 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Educate Me on G1 Porcelain Ceramic Figures
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
I have been trying to find information on G1 vintage ceramic/porcelain statues. My search results have been few and really outdated besides finding a picture list on My Little Wiki. I want to know more about them: hardest to find, PCs, buying them back in the day, people's personal collections, where could you buy them, what did they originally cost, etc.? Any tidbits, please share!

I currently have 2: Newborn and Wedding Prance (PC?), and have searched thrift stores in vain hoping to stumble upon one. My cousin also had one from her childhood, AJ I believe. Otherwise, don't know much about them except that Newborn came free with another porcelain piece? I love the scene ones with playset places.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: Educate Me on G1 Porcelain Ceramic Figures
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:13:09 AM »
They are super cute arent they ? <3
As far as I know, the First Born / Newborn is the most common of them all.
The more ponies one item features, the more rare it is it seems, at least thats my feeling when I look at the prices on ebay. I dont know which one is the rarest though.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
I believe that the castle one is the rarest. It's also the largest.

A few are international - applejack, skyflier and majesty.

The Pegasus ones tend to run more expensive, just because they are more sought after.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
I love love love the porcelain figures, especially the one where glory and moondancer get married <3 love having that tiny bit of lesbian rep

I always see them for super expensive, I'm hoping one day to just find them in the wild ^^;

wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
I love love love the porcelain figures, especially the one where glory and moondancer get married <3 love having that tiny bit of lesbian rep

Heehee, I know what you mean!

I love the porcelain figures but am not lucky enough to have any.  I've heard that First Born was offered for free whenever someone bought a different figure.  (Unsure if this means ANY other MLP porcelain or just the bigger multi-figure scenes.)  Which is why she is the most common.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

I love the porcelain figures but am not lucky enough to have any.  I've heard that First Born was offered for free whenever someone bought a different figure.  (Unsure if this means ANY other MLP porcelain or just the bigger multi-figure scenes.)  Which is why she is the most common.

im always quite bothered that g4 misdirected lyra and bonbon as being romantically together, but way back in the 80s they released things like the "Wedding" procelain figures of glory and mooondancer and they were very very affectionate on screen! just admit it you cowards!!

wishlist

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
The porcelains are so pretty. I'd love to own one but don't have any yet. My favorite is "Lazy afternoon.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »

im always quite bothered that g4 misdirected lyra and bonbon as being romantically together, but way back in the 80s they released things like the "Wedding" procelain figures of glory and mooondancer and they were very very affectionate on screen! just admit it you cowards!!

That's because Glory was male in several places (except the movie.) :P Or maybe he just had a feminine voice in the movie.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »

That's because Glory was male in several places (except the movie.) :P Or maybe he just had a feminine voice in the movie.

excuses, excuses!  :heart:

wishlist

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »

Glory's a girl and that's that.  She just likes to play dress up with her best friend/girlfriend.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

Glory's a girl and that's that.  She just likes to play dress up with her best friend/girlfriend.

agreed! let moondancer and glory be lesbians!!!!!! :heart:

wishlist

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
The porcelains are so darling! I have First Born and Wedding Prance (my two favourites <3 I agree Glory was probably meant to be a boy in it - but I prefer to ignore that, hehe. Altho I do like the idea of it being "Glory and Moondancer playing dress-up", especially as I see them as sisters.. ah, I like all interpretations of it XD), I'd love more but they're so pricey ^^; but they are so lovely.. here are some old photos of mine, anyway :) I really need to take better ones sometime..

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
A few are international - applejack, skyflier and majesty.

Also Buttons, Firefly, Moondancer, and Cotton Candy.  Skyflier isn't Euro (I don't think??) but Buttons is in her pose.  The Euro ones are weird!  Their paint is darker and sloppier, and Buttons & Firefly & Majesty look like they just went "Screw it" and slapped them together.  Also the Euro ones have a painted or stamped on logo on their undersides instead of the gold sticker on US releases. 

I think the most expensive one is the castle, but the rarest of the large pieces is probably the wishing well and if you do find it it's probably missing the rope on the bucket. 

Of the 2-pony pieces, the hardest to find is probably Lazy Afternoon, but none of them are particularly difficult to get ahold of.

The individual pieces are usually easy to get too.  You might have trouble with the pegasus ponies having broken wings (Medley is rarer).  Skyflier and Bowtie are probably the rarest, and maybe Cotton Candy.  Bowtie will often be missing her apple. 

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
Other than basic ebay curiosity, I don't know which ones are hard to find. But I have been SUPER lucky and have a decent collection. One of my childhood friends never actually had ponies, but had porcelains. A few years ago she gave me a handful of them, and told me her mom had JUST thrown the boxes away. A couple of months ago, she gave me the rest, and two of the boxes. It seems her mother wasn't quite as guilty as we thought she was! Haha!
My sister went to a garage sale in the far-away land of Wisconsin (a couple hours away) and came back with six porcelains- including the Wedding set and the Apple Orchard set. She paid $10 for all of them- I told her she did pretty good!
And just this last month, I finally hung the display shelf I found for them, and now they are all on display in the hall outside my pony room. I really want the ones I'm missing, but at the same time, that shelf is full and looks really good.

Sorry I don't have any grand history or information on them, but there's a little story of one collection!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
I really wish they weren't so rare! They're beautiful! I just have First Born (a gift from a friend) and the "Wishing Well" scene, which I was fortunate enough to find in a thrift shop for $3! I search that area of thrift shops every time in hopes I find more one day.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal