collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ending My Hiatus, Storage Advice?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Ending My Hiatus, Storage Advice?
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:38 AM »
Hello there,

I haven't posted on here in ages! And that's partly because I have a new job and I've been insanely busy, and partly because I have run out of space for my pony collection and I took a break from collecting...  :blush:

Does anyone have any great recommendations for storage for their collections? I really want to buy a curio cabinet type thing, or a bookshelf with doors, but I don't really want anything super fancy and I certainly don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg. I didn't know where to begin looking but now that we are well into winter and my ponies don't need to hide from Massachusetts humidity in the basement anymore I really would like to have them in my room.

Any good suggestions, for both pricing and quality?

-Chelsea
My Tumblr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ending My Hiatus, Storage Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
You can find a nice curio for a reasonable price at an estate sale, or antique auction.  I found a really nice one for my daughter for around 450.  (eep...that should be $50)   :blush:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:54:57 AM by Anitas_Mom »

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
I have a friend who stores his figures in a glass ikea curio case. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe it was under 200 USD.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
A lot of collectors use IKEA "Billy" bookcases with glass doors. They come in a variety of sizes, colors and door options.
If I had the space, that's what I`d get.

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »
I'm a big fan of the IKEA Detolf cases. They're around $60. Also watch local adds as people tend to sell used cases at decent prices.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
I use Billy bookcases (with doors) from IKEA, they work quite well for ponies.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
Thank you for the ideas! I'm most likely going to look into IKEA.
My Tumblr

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »
I have a Billy bookcase too, and what I do on the inside is I've made little risers (like a choir would stand on) out of cardboard and covered them in white fabric. I can stack G1's three deep in there, and G4's like 5 or 6 deep. I've also taken some of my MOC ponies and affixed them to the back wall of the cabinet so I can see them while other ponies are standing in front of them. :)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »
I've always used those closet organizers for shoes to display my ponies, but the cases aren't enclosed all around like a curio cabinet would be. I've been debating trying to fashion plexiglass fronts for them, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I love these "shelves" because normal sized G3s and *most* G1s fit in them perfectly (and without a lot of wasted space above their heads like a normal book shelf would likely have) and you can pretty much stack them as high as your ceilings are. They're inexpensive enough that when I need to go add to my  towers of ponies, it's not a huge deal, and since they're pretty standard items at most home improvement stores (I use Lowes), you shouldn't have to worry about them being discontinued if they quit being trendy (I've been buying mine as needed since 2004). I may also be a little weird in that having my shelves match is very important to me, so if I started with one type of shelf and then needed a new one and couldn't get it, I'd feel like I "had" to go buy completely new shelves for the whole darned room :P

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
I've always used those closet organizers for shoes to display my ponies, but the cases aren't enclosed all around like a curio cabinet would be. I've been debating trying to fashion plexiglass fronts for them, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

This is a neat idea. Originally I wanted to make those "lattice" like shelves for the walls of my room, for each pony to have an individual cubby, but because I have so many ponies at this point the entire wall would have to be the box shelving  :lol: . My room is also pretty bright, so I am looking for something either in my closet or in a closed bookcase. I might have to try shoe organizers in my closet. I have a little shelf space in the top portion of my closet~
My Tumblr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal