collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PQOTD #14 12/31/16 What is your opinion on customizing g1's?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
PQOTD #14 12/31/16 What is your opinion on customizing g1's?
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
Pony question of the day:

What is your opinion of people customizing G1's?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have no problem with people making customs out of g1s, but SO MANY do it with ponies that aren't baits. There is no point baiting a pony that is perfectly fine on its own. And a lot of ponies that may look like baits, can be completely fixed very easily.

What is your opinion on this topic? and if you have a before and after with a g1 custom, please share!

hey guys, I've been doing these "Pony questions of the day", but sometimes I cant think of a new question! If you have a question that you think I could use on future topics, please PM me! it would really help me out! keep 'em coming ;)

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: PQOTD #14 12/31/16 What is your opinion on customizing g1's?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
I have never completely customised a G1 but sometimes if a G1 badly damaged I make reversible repairs in an alt way. For example my alt re-hairs. If someone wanted to restore them to look original then they could.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
When I bait ponies I do a-lot of research on them first, and if possible, restore them because I don't like to bait a pony who's just fine. A-lot of people will bait ponies with chew marks or missing ears, but I even know how to fix that, so it always just depends on the pony itself

I have no problem with baiting G1s but so many customizers don't see the difference between a pony that needs a simple rehair and wash, and a pony that is actually too much of a hassle to restore for its weight, the majority of "Bait" ponies on ebay just need a bath

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
I just normally bait G3s or G4s. As for G1 baits I usually use very common poses very bait ponies. I know most pony people would restore over customize but its ideally the same thing just a change of objectives. Either way the pony will get a make over.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
I don't customize ponies myself but I don't mind someone using a G1 bait if it's truly a bait pony. That being said I don't think ponies with minor flaws should be baited. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
As long as they're seriously jacked up go for it. I mean don't do it to one in decent condition.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:03:58 AM »
Ooh, that rehaired Starshine is really beautiful! :heart:
I don't do customs so maybe it's not my place to pass judgment, but to my mind it's A-OK if the pony is in really poor condition and needs something done to give it a fresh lease on life. If they just need a little bit of TLC, then I reckon they should be restored instead but it's down to the person who owns the pony at the end of the day.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:32:28 AM »
I think I have the same opinion as most here. Unless the pony is truly bait and in no way restorable, then it's ok to customise.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:44:59 AM »
I made that Starshine! ^.^ I don't take before pictures unless I'm doing a restoration.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Vettefromm

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vetten.weebly.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 04:21:43 AM »
On regular ponies, I think it's okay :) for example, it's near impossible to sell a Posey with faded hair, even for 1£, and if she can become a custom that will be cherished in a collection rather than an unwanted, unsold double - that's way better IMO. Even if the only issue was fading hair, otherwise perfect condition.

Personally, I bait G1s if they have haircuts AND permanent marks - if they are common. Like baby Moondancer, Glory, Sparkler, Lily.
I recently customized a very bait Sparkler - Pindot, hair and tailcut, permanent marks. The result is, despite me not being a superb customizer, a pony I very much want in my collection and to me, that makes much more sense than trying to restore her :)

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:45:20 AM »
I made that Starshine! ^.^ I don't take before pictures unless I'm doing a restoration.

Love pkw xxx

Oh I didn't know that it was yours  :lol:. Yeah, I found it on the Internet and thought that it was so pretty that I wanted it on my PQOTD!

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »

I recently customized a very bait Sparkler - Pindot, hair and tailcut, permanent marks. The result is, despite me not being a superb customizer, a pony I very much want in my collection and to me, that makes much more sense than trying to restore her :)

Ooh nice job! I almost didn't notice the FBR and thought  she was just an alt. re-hair  :blush:

So then, are you going to give away your secrets to doing a good FBR  :dribble:  p.s. did she have cnacer/plastic breakdown at all and how is the paint holding up?

Sorry if too off-topic OP!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Vettefromm

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 06:16:56 AM »
Thank you so much! :) She is my first FBR and I am still experimenting. The paint is a little sticky - not sure my sealer is good. Some say the stickyness goes away after a while so I am waiting to see if that happens. I use an airbrush/compressor and many thin layers, that's the key to an even repaint :) The pindot was still a little visible before the sealer - but after, it was not visible.

Next time I will sand it down to a smooth surface before painting, might also help is stick better.

Ooh nice job! I almost didn't notice the FBR and thought  she was just an alt. re-hair  :blush:

So then, are you going to give away your secrets to doing a good FBR  :dribble:  p.s. did she have cnacer/plastic breakdown at all and how is the paint holding up?

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 06:40:43 AM »
Thank you so much! :) She is my first FBR and I am still experimenting. The paint is a little sticky - not sure my sealer is good. Some say the stickyness goes away after a while so I am waiting to see if that happens. I use an airbrush/compressor and many thin layers, that's the key to an even repaint :) The pindot was still a little visible before the sealer - but after, it was not visible.

Next time I will sand it down to a smooth surface before painting, might also help is stick better.

Thank you for sharing!  I've had paint stay sticky before but I changed sealer.  I was hoping there was a way without investing in an airbrush but everyone says the same so maybe I should just have a look on ebay  :)

Offline Vettefromm

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »
Thank you for sharing!  I've had paint stay sticky before but I changed sealer.  I was hoping there was a way without investing in an airbrush but everyone says the same so maybe I should just have a look on ebay  :)

What sealer do you use now? :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal