collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cigarette Smoke--Keep or Return?  (Read 690 times)

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Cigarette Smoke--Keep or Return?
« on: December 24, 2016, 09:04:42 AM »
I bought a set of 3 ponies. I really only wanted one of them, but the lot was cheaper then buying the individual pony. They arrived today reeking of cigarette smoke. They were also soaking wet like the seller washed them and packaged them before they dried. Is it worth trying to get the smell out? Opinions? Would you try it or return them? The pony I wanted was the g1 Birthday Pony if that makes a difference.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: Cigarette Smoke--Keep or Return?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
I think I would return it unless there is a way to completely get rid of that stench. It's also not cool if they were packaged while they were still wet. So that's a good reason to return them as well in my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
I think I would return it unless there is a way to completely get rid of that stench. It's also not cool if they were packaged while they were still wet. So that's a good reason to return them as well in my opinion.

yeah I would return them too, and also complain, especially if it said smoke free home. That's very unprofessional, and its really risky to ship wet ponies because of mold. I would return them and give the reasons for doing so.

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
I'd return them and leave honest bad feedback if its possible wherever you bought them from. Smoke smell is one horrible thing but who on earth thinks its okay to mail things that are soaking wet?! And if it wasn't mentioned in the listing that the ponies were "washed", that's another strike. They could have severely damaged them (unknown chemicals, causing or worsening rust/mold, etc).

If it was a good enough deal and you really want them still at the risk of not being able to remove the smell, maybe ask about a partial refund (and of course still leave honest bad feedback). I can't deal with smoke but if the washing thing happened to me that's the route I'd likely try.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
Send em back, but before you complain about the cigarette smell in their feedback, check to see if they mentionioned that it was a smoking home. But definitely send em back and get your money back for sending them sopping wet.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 12:19:29 PM »
For the smoke, unless it says smoke free home you can't really say anything. That's just the risk you take and if you are concerned about smoke smell stick to listings that specify smoke free. However sending them wet, which means they were put together before they even dried, is just asking for mold. Even if you don't decide to return them you should at least let the seller know that sending them wet is just not a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:23:06 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
 :yikes:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »
Was it stated the ponies were from a smoking home? What did the ponies look like in the pictures? Have you emailed the seller and told them the ponies arrived wet? There might be another explanation other than the seller posting wet ponies to you ;)

Perhaps the seller washed the ponies and didn't sit them on their butts to dry out. Then when they were shipping the water inside the ponies leaked out through the mane and tail holes.

This happened to me. I sold a Seapony and she arrived at her new home *soaking* wet. I'd washed her and dried her out for a couple of days upside down in my airing cupboard before photographing her and listening her for sale. Evidently there was still some water inside, which leaked out on her way to her new home :( I worked things out with my buyer and I'm now extra careful about making sure ponies are dry.

Was the packet wet? I once shipped a packet of ponies and they either got rained on or dropped in a puddle as the packet was soaking wet. Thankfully I always put ponies in zip lock bags, so the ponies were dry.

I'm not making excuses for the seller, these are just things that have happened to me.

I hope you can work things out, often sellers are as upset as buyers when things don't run out right :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
*Updated*

The seller gave me a full refund and told me to toss them. I'm working on getting the smell out. Just washing them helped some. Going to air them out, baking soda and dryer sheet them. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Offline leonaenae

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
I would message the seller about it.
Tell them essentially would you told us, and give them the option to provide you a full refund and you return them.
Or they provide you a partial refund due to their condition.

I say this from experience, I once purchased on Ebay way back in like 2005-2008 (I cant remember exactly) and the group of ponies reeeked of cig smoke, and one was in almost too bad for bait shape. So before leaving feedback for the seller I described to them the status of the ponies, and they gave me a full refund and let me keep the ponies.

Now I believe the smell is worn off...but I havent sniffed them in years they are all packed away right now.
:yikes:

lmao totally didnt notice your post above XD WOW.
DeviantART |||| Tumblr
I love Comments

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »
*Updated*

The seller gave me a full refund and told me to toss them. I'm working on getting the smell out. Just washing them helped some. Going to air them out, baking soda and dryer sheet them. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad you got a full refund! :D
You can also try putting them in a baggy of kitty litter...I heard it works but I personally have never tried it before. I have put a smokey toy outside in the sunshine for a few days and that worked great..(it was a Keyper, not pony but anyways!)
:)

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 08:47:11 PM »
I suggest a baggie full of regular uncooked  rice too!  It dries them out and draws the scent away. I used that, then a few weeks in a dryer sheet, then sat em outside a few weeks. It faded a lot of the smoke smell (but not all, theses were from a heavy smoke household).
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 06:17:37 AM »
I've seen advice that to de-stinkify vinyl dolls, take charcoal briquettes, put them in a tupper ware container, cover them with gauze so your pony doesn't get dirty, then leave the pony closed in the container until the smell is gone.  I haven't had a stinky pony to try it on yet, but I'm actually pretty excited for the next time I do to test it out.

That's a really great idea about the rice!

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal