collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I Finally Got It!!!  (Read 943 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
I Finally Got It!!!
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
I've been wanting this sucker for awhile now . . .

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I Finally Got It!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
Oooh!  That looks like an interesting and useful book.  I may have to chase down a copy.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
That looks like a very informative book!! I would have never guessed that someone would publish something like that, awesome!!  :iconclap:

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
Let us know if it contains any new revelations

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Ooh, thanks for sharing!  I just bought myself a copy off of Amazon.  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
I'm going to have to get one eventually.  :)  Thanks for telling us about it!!  For now, let us know what you learn.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:25 PM »
Oooo, how tempting! I love that this exists!
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »

So, according to him, there is no such thing as Vinyl Deterioration Syndrome (what we call pony cancer or age spots).  Both pony cancer and smooze are caused by fungus.  Luckily, that means that pony cancer can be fixed.  And don't worry, it's humidity that causes the fungus to spread and that will happen whether or not other ponies already have the spots.  Unfortunately, he recommends remove-zit A LOT, which we can't use on ponies.  He does discuss some other options which I think should be safe on ponies and I'm going to test them out.  I'm highlighting things and writing down questions.  I'm not going to decide anything for sure until I've finished the whole book (I'm slightly less than half way through, and it's been less than a day, lol).

I'll be making a bunch of updates to my website once I'm all the way finished.  I'm hoping he'll provide contact information for questions so I can ask specifically about ponies.  I'm also definitely putting a window air conditioner in my pony room come spring, lol.

You can re-color vinyl that has been bleached with remove-zit.  I've known that for awhile but the book explains how to do it, which I needed, and tells where to get the products (I haven't gotten that far yet).

He's a chemist who's wife collects dolls.  He wrote the book because he was hearing so much misinformation at doll shows.  I also managed to find a pony collecting chemist who's asking her co-workers for help answering a lot of the common questions that come up so we should have even more factual information soon!

I bought a bunch of the Twin Pines of Maine products too, which he helped to formulate.  I've believed for a long time that they got an unnecessarily bad rep with pony collectors because people got all crazy about remove-zit without understanding how it works.  I've wanted to test them out for years but they're kind of pricey so I kept putting it off (if anyone wants to buy stuff off my website to help me pay for them, I'm going to do a push to get more sales done soon and I have a bunch of new stuff to post).  I'm pretty excited about the de-stinker and the formula 911.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 09:34:19 AM »
Oh yay! I so want that book. :D I hope it's a good read. I can't wait to hear your findings Far Dreamer!

I always wanted to try the Twin Pines stuff but  so skeptical especially for the pricing. I bet it works wonders but the question is about whether it works well on ponies because the vinyl is so many different pale colors.

After reading this book I'd be curious to know if you think Hydrogen Peroxide is still one of the best alternatives to try to get rid of the fungus (age spots/cancer)? I’ve always been so scared that the brown would spread through the air in spores so any pony with spots has been in its own container. ;p

Once testing is done on ponies we should submit to him to add a pony section to his book XD 
~Foxtale~

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 12:04:54 PM »
Ooooooo!! This is exciting. I may need to track down a copy as well. :) Thank you for posting about this.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
cant wait to see what new information gets posted on your website! I had no idea that they would actually publish a book on vinyl toys, its genius!  ^.^

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
I finished it!  I have more questions for the other chemist I've been emailing before I want to try to interpret things, but this is what I got out of it so far.

OK
acrylic paint
hydrogen peroxide
detergents

Bad
chlorine bleach
acetone
any type of powder
solvents such as goo off

Foxtale, here's my best answers to your questions so far:

I always wanted to try the Twin Pines stuff but  so skeptical especially for the pricing. I bet it works wonders but the question is about whether it works well on ponies because the vinyl is so many different pale colors.  - Only products that are stain removers should be an issue.  Things for hair, general washing, and odor removal should be fine.  Some of the products can remove cosmetics/paints/glues that have degraded with time.

After reading this book I'd be curious to know if you think Hydrogen Peroxide is still one of the best alternatives to try to get rid of the fungus (age spots/cancer)? - He recommends products containing much higher concentrations of Hydrogen Peroxide than the 3% solution you can get over the counter.  The brown marks are stains left from the fungus and these products fade the stains.  Whether or not these high concentrations will fade a pony's coloring I'm not sure of yet.  I'm planning to test it and see what happens.

I’ve always been so scared that the brown would spread through the air in spores so any pony with spots has been in its own container. ;p  - He says that the real concern is when humidity is over 70%.  Fugal spores are everywhere so keeping the humidity low is what helps prevent the spread.  The brown spots aren't the fungus itself, it's stains left from the fungus.

Once testing is done on ponies we should submit to him to add a pony section to his book XD  - I'm trying to find an address where I can write him a letter.  :)
[/quote]

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »

So, according to him, there is no such thing as Vinyl Deterioration Syndrome (what we call pony cancer or age spots).  Both pony cancer and smooze are caused by fungus.  Luckily, that means that pony cancer can be fixed.  And don't worry, it's humidity that causes the fungus to spread and that will happen whether or not other ponies already have the spots.

Interesting! I wondered why my doll and pony collections seemed to be avoiding that, evidently it is a result of living in a dry area.

I might have to get a copy of this for myself; restorations are always fun.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 05:41:31 AM »
Sounds like a really interesting book! I look forward to hearing more about your tests. Good luck!

Elf

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »
Wow what a breakthrough. This really opened up my mind to new possibilities. Thanks. I like hear more about your tests too. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal