collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PQOTD #1 12/13/16 Flutter pony heads  (Read 1260 times)

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
PQOTD #1 12/13/16 Flutter pony heads
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:05:43 PM »
Pony question of the day #1:

Can you take off a Flutter pony's head to clean them on the inside?

If you have any advise or tricks, it would be very helpful.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:55:28 PM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: PQOTD #1 12/13/16
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
Hot water might help melt the glue, or you can try acetone and dental floss, but be very careful with that.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
Hot water might help melt the glue, or you can try acetone and dental floss, but be very careful with that.

I have tried extremely hot water (almost to the point of boiling) but the plastic was so hard that it wouldn't budge.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »
I attempted to pull my Lily's head off, because the glue was loose and I wanted to make sure she was okay on the inside. However the plug started to separate at her head so I stopped for fear of damaging her further, poor girl has a loose-ish neck now. So I'd imagine it's possible, I just don't know if that was an issue with my specific flutter or if it's all flutters.

Also, she was a bit hard as well, but the glue was just loose enough that I could get it almost separated from the body.. just I had to stop when I noticed the plug issue, because even if I could get the seal completely broken I wouldn't be able to get the head off because of that issue.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:43:47 PM by Icicle »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:44:43 PM »
I attempted to pull my Lily's head off, because the glue was loose and I wanted to make sure she was okay on the inside. However the plug started to separate at her head so I stopped for fear of damaging her further, poor girl has a loose-ish neck now. So I'd imagine it's possible, I just don't know if that was an issue with my specific flutter or if it's all flutters...

Are they hollow inside, or solid. I cant imagine that they are solid (they aren't heavy enough) but they have the wing holders (I don't know what they are actually called) so I thought that the inside was partially solid.

It must be pretty hard to take off their heads, because mine have really hard vinyl.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
I unfortunately couldn't even get the plug out enough to check! The second I tried to pull the glue off the backside of her head, I saw the plug separating from the head (so, if I continued to pull, even if it was just to get the head off the plug would have ripped, leaving it inside of the pony). She's hard but I can squeeze her side a bit? So I think she's at least somewhat hollow?

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
I unfortunately couldn't even get the plug out enough to check! The second I tried to pull the glue off the backside of her head, I saw the plug separating from the head (so, if I continued to pull, even if it was just to get the head off the plug would have ripped, leaving it inside of the pony). She's hard but I can squeeze her side a bit? So I think she's at least somewhat hollow?

Hmm, yeah that's interesting. I have been changing out all of my G1s metal washers so that they don't rust, but I wasn't sure if I could even get to the tail of my flutter.

does anyone have a pic of a fully dismantled one?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:12:16 PM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: PQOTD #1 12/13/16 Flutter pony heads
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »
Their heads are attached the same way other ponies' are (with the neck plug and all) but they're usually glued on VERY well.  Yes, they are hollow. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
wow this was something I never thought of before. I can't recall if I have ever taken the head off a Flutterypony for cleaning. I will be interested in the answer as well. I imagine they must be hollow but maybe with a thicker neck plug due to their slenderness.
~Foxtale~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
Oh, and regarding the wing holders, they are inserted into the flutter's body from the top, as a separate piece.  (Which is why they are made of a different, harder plastic.)  I'm not sure how far down into the body they go.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
^^ ok thx guys, if anyone has a picture of one that would be great.

Can you (somehow) cut out the wing holders and get into the body from there (I don't think that I'm that desperate tho)  ;)

all this help is appreciated.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
I think their neck ring is longer because I have took off a flutter's head more than once. They are a real pain to get the head to come off properly. :/

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
I think their neck ring is longer because I have took off a flutter's head more than once. They are a real pain to get the head to come off properly. :/

Is it even worth trying to take her head off? There is no sign of tail rust, but I normally soak them in oxi-clean after I take the tails and head off so that there is no chance of rust.

Is it bad to soak a pony in oxi clean if the head and tail have never been removed?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:49:47 AM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:58:06 AM »
Is it even worth trying to take her head off? There is ok sign of tail rust, but I normally soak them in oxi-clean after I take the tails and head off so that there is no chance of rust.

Is it bad to soak a pony in oxi clean if the head and tail have never been removed?
If she has tail rust then you should remove her head and clean her out with oxy-clean for about an hour no more than that. I just watch the pony now and then to see how its doing.(which is easier if your cleaning others.)I dont think its bad to soak them if it cleans the rust right up then if there is any rust left use a baby bottle brush or pipecleaner to clean any of the other rusty parts out. Some use the long medical Q-tips to clean with but I haven't seen any where I live so I just struggle with the regular kind.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »
Is it even worth trying to take her head off? There is ok sign of tail rust, but I normally soak them in oxi-clean after I take the tails and head off so that there is no chance of rust.

If she has tail rust then you should remove her head and clean her out with oxy-clean for about an hour no more than that. I just watch the pony now and then to see how its doing.(which is easier if your cleaning others.)I dont think its bad to soak them if it cleans the rust right up then if there is any rust left use a baby bottle brush or pipecleaner to clean any of the other rusty parts out. Some use the long medical Q-tips to clean with but I haven't seen any where I live so I just struggle with the regular kind.

I actually had a typo, she doesn't have any tail rust that I am aware of, so I was wondering if it would cause rust later on if I soaked her in an oxi clean bath. I assume that water would get trapped inside.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal