collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if the Loving Family baby brother / sister had had reversed hair?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What if the Loving Family baby brother / sister had had reversed hair?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 01:57:44 AM »
In Europe the families were four - mother, father, baby sister and baby brother. That applies for all of them :) They weren't sold as box sets like that, though. They had to be collected separately. We had the US box sets here with one baby and the two parents as well. I think that was a bit confusing of Hasbro, but either way it happened...;)
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/bright_bouquet.htm
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/sweet_celebrations.htm
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/apple_delight.htm

We had adults made in China or No Country, and babies made in China or Hong Kong as well I think, just to add to the confusion. AND we also had specific baby toy accessory sets sold with the families in mind...
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see, they were always drawn with their hair like that. Even on the front of the insert:
Spoiler
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 02:57:47 AM »
In Europe the families were four - mother, father, baby sister and baby brother. That applies for all of them :) They weren't sold as box sets like that, though. They had to be collected separately.

In the UK at least we had all of them sold as a box set :) I had the Apple Family set all together in a box, must have been around 1990 :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
In Europe the families were four - mother, father, baby sister and baby brother. That applies for all of them :) They weren't sold as box sets like that, though. They had to be collected separately.

In the UK at least we had all of them sold as a box set :) I had the Apple Family set all together in a box, must have been around 1990 :)

I did some digging into this a while back and tried but failed to find any evidence of an official release of this set as a set of four here in the UK. They're in the Argos catalogue for that year as a family set but there's no baby boy with them, and surviving packaging with collectors who had the set as a child together also is the US packaging with UK price labels on it.

This is from the Argos catalogue. I've had the set with the US box and three ponies including the same accessories in that image from childhood collections in the UK, and when I asked about this some time back the only evidence we could come up in terms of packaging was US packaging with shop labels for Woolworths.

Hasbro's list does mention a family box set, which is why I went looking for proof of it, but if you had the set with the boy as well, I would estimate it was probably an individual store offer rather than an official release of them as a set of four. I would love it to be otherwise, though, so, if you have packaging that disproves that, you would make me very happy ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:27:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »
Thanks Taffeta for clearing that up for me.

Looking closely at those links you provided, in particular the Bright Boquet family cuz that's what I have handy on its dinner plate (a plain plate not a pony-printed plate, what was I thinking?) and comparing to the pics, I see that the skin is the same color though it looks different in the pics because of lighting.  I see only 3 differences between the babies:  direction of the head, slight difference in the angle of the legs, and whether the mouth is open or closed.  From this I see I have baby Sister and looks like I better drive back to the beach and look around for my lost baby Brother before PPS (pony protective services) shows up to enquire as to the matter.

I assume the baby brothers are going to be harder to find and more expensive and probably also misidentified as they are so similar...so my two complete families are both missing children who are wandering around out there wondering where the rest of the family went.

If my assumption as to the less-commonness of the brother is true, this means if we are going to do a contrast rehair, it should probably be a sister.

This induced orphaning of the baby brothers might also explain the rarity of the Brother ponies as breeding adults and the genetic adaptation of ponies to reproduce without males at all as happened in G3 so...I guess Big Mac and Braeburn et al must be some sort of mutation or throwback as Celestia tries to restore the "nuclear family" to Ponyland.  This would also explain why so many G4 female/female "ships" seem to successfully produce offspring...oh I'm sorry about the G4 humor in this G1 thread (and bad humor at that...).  Penalty flag on the field:  Off topic again, oopsie.  *hangs head in shame

But seriously, has anypony seen my stray baby brothers for Sweet Celebrations or Bright Boquet?  Send them home; we miss them!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »
The boys are all in Baby Lucky's pose, are chunkier and have open mouths and a weird kind of ring like a horseshoe at the baseline of their feet. Just like he does. The girls - Apple Delight and Sweet Celebrations are in Ember's pose and Bright Bouquet is in Baby Blossom's pose. They're not really that similar in person because of that, even though their hair is the same.

The boy from the Sweet Celebrations set was sold in the US and the girl wasn't. The other two boys are European only, and the US sets had the girls. So the three European additions are
Baby Sister Sweet Celebrations
Baby Brother Bright Bouquet
Baby Brother Apple Delight

I think that probably the ones harder to obtain if you're in the US is the ones which were not sold there, rather than just necessarily the boys. I don't think any of this set are really that difficult to track down though, so I wouldn't worry ;) You just might have to buy the European ones from UK ebay (but at the moment the $ is super strong against the £ so that might also get you a better deal...)

I also apologise for the colour disparity on the Bright Bouquets. Because half of this family belong to my sister, and her ponies were in the attic, photos got taken at a completely different time from the half that belongs to me...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:54:34 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »
I didn't notice the hoof rings...I see them now that you point them out, much better.

The person I got the Celebrations family from had another baby that was imported, probably would have been the other one.  I shoulda got it, darnit!

There's no need to apologize for lighting differences or I'd have to do a lot of apologizing for my own pics!  besides, it's a bad habit to assume the colors are true in pics anyway...

Thanks again for the additional info, I'll keep an eye open!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 03:20:21 PM »

I did some digging into this a while back and tried but failed to find any evidence of an official release of this set as a set of four here in the UK. They're in the Argos catalogue for that year as a family set but there's no baby boy with them, and surviving packaging with collectors who had the set as a child together also is the US packaging with UK price labels on it.

This is from the Argos catalogue. I've had the set with the US box and three ponies including the same accessories in that image from childhood collections in the UK, and when I asked about this some time back the only evidence we could come up in terms of packaging was US packaging with shop labels for Woolworths.

Hasbro's list does mention a family box set, which is why I went looking for proof of it, but if you had the set with the boy as well, I would estimate it was probably an individual store offer rather than an official release of them as a set of four. I would love it to be otherwise, though, so, if you have packaging that disproves that, you would make me very happy ;)

Sadly I don't have the packaging, nor the ponies anymore (although I have re-purchased them seperately) The Apple Family is probably the set of ponies I remember getting best though as my brother and I had just been told we were moving house to the other side of the country. When my Dad gave the box with the ponies in I just about fainted from excitement! I vaguely remember yellow ribbons, but that is all I can tell you I am afraid. But they definitely came in a box with all of them together. Thinking of where my Dad purchased them, it could have been Woolworths, as this was in the town where we lived and was a big store with loads of ponies.But I cannot say for sure.

Edit - odd that the Argos description mention "baby ponies" not just pony, or I may be clutching at straws! I really wish Hasbro had a release list of when ponies where released and where.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »
It doesn't say baby ponies, it says mummy, daddy and baby ponies (thus pluralised because of the three of them) xD Sorry xD.

It's not impossible Woolworths did something specific to combine the set but I know people who had the set new from Woolworths as a child, still have their packaging and ponies and didn't have the brother with them so it sounds like a specific offer for your town...or could your Dad have put them together in the box for you and actually bought the baby boy separately?

I would love to find proof that we had a proper UK box set here of the four of them, but that hope has been somewhat killed inside of me...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »
Babieses Ponieseses

like when Pinky says Pegasuseses

I'm resisting the urge to drop what I'm doing and go look and see if I have the boy or the girl of the celebrations family in my trio.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
It doesn't say baby ponies, it says mummy, daddy and baby ponies (thus pluralised because of the three of them) xD Sorry xD.

It's not impossible Woolworths did something specific to combine the set but I know people who had the set new from Woolworths as a child, still have their packaging and ponies and didn't have the brother with them so it sounds like a specific offer for your town...or could your Dad have put them together in the box for you and actually bought the baby boy separately?

I would love to find proof that we had a proper UK box set here of the four of them, but that hope has been somewhat killed inside of me...

Oh flap it, yes I read it wrong.

There wouldn't have been a town-specific release, it would have cost far too much money! I guess my Dad could have chucked another baby in there, but that would have been very unlike him to do that. I can't remember the release date off my head but is it possible that Hasbro was trying to get rid of excess stock by packaging all the ponies in together?

lostpony

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
At least they didn't package the statistical average nuclear family with 1.5 children...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »

Oh flap it, yes I read it wrong.

There wouldn't have been a town-specific release, it would have cost far too much money! I guess my Dad could have chucked another baby in there, but that would have been very unlike him to do that. I can't remember the release date off my head but is it possible that Hasbro was trying to get rid of excess stock by packaging all the ponies in together?

I would guess not, because when MLP folded in the mid 1990s, Hasbro UK sold off their excess stock to places like Jennings Toys in London. We had a number of ponies via Mail Order from them in the couple of years after that, and two of those were baby brother apple delight and baby brother sweet celebrations. The latter one is still on his card in my cupboard, and they were separately packaged from the rest of the family. I have the card for Brother Apple Delight, too. If they had done that with excess stock, it seems odd that they'd still have had carded family members to disperse at the end of the line...rather than ones in bags like some of the other excess stock they got rid of (Nightcap, etc). They also were packaged with the charms at that time.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal