collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dreamvalley closed?!  (Read 13770 times)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamvalley closed?!
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2016, 03:22:09 AM »
What was the other major id site that used to be? I used both of them so much. Miss them both!

Hmm, maybe Ponytopia? I know that was my go-to G3 resource when G3 stuff was new in stores! I was so sad when that one shut down, too. :(
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline mimicsno1fan

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2016, 03:52:25 AM »
Well I have to say it wasn't the best site around but it has been there since i started collecting at the tender age of just 2 ( im 27 now haha ) and I remember being a small child absolutely fascinated when i discovered that Buttons and Ribbon had babies!

I wish Kim all the best and thank her for all the work she put into it over the years.

I will be honest though that I haven't personally visited the site in years and often use strawberry reef, especially for G3 referencing. Maybe the Arena itself should have a section atleast where we can compile data on all gens, accessories, merch etc I know it would take an awful lot of time but I would be happy to make a yearly contribution and help in anyway that I could :)

I would hate to see the arena vanish and i feel it would be something for the community to bond over :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2016, 04:04:48 AM »
What was the other major id site that used to be? I used both of them so much. Miss them both!

Was it In To the Sea/My Little Pony? I loved the ID machine on that site too. :) It is gone now also.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:25 AM »

Was it In To the Sea/My Little Pony? I loved the ID machine on that site too. :) It is gone now also.

Ponyfan

I miss that site so much, too!
And g3mlp.com for g3s.

So many good sites have vanished :sad:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »
Yes! Also I really miss MyLittlePonyCollector.net  - that was a really useful site with LOTS of checklists!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »

I can only think of Lavonia's but I was out of the community for a while so don't know when it vanished. Was it mlpcollector.com or something like?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2016, 11:17:24 AM »
The photos on MLPCollector.com were mostly lifted directly from Dream Valley, with the watermark cropped out.  Pretty skeevy.  But yeah, it was popular for a while.  I have vague memories of hating its layout.

Ponyland Tours is a pretty good site for G1 ID.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:07 AM »
This thread is making me realise how many sites have come and gone over the years. Maybe what we really need is a catalogue or pinned thread somewhere with as many of them as possible listed with live links. If they go down then they get deleted, but it would be a start.

When I knew Lavonia's site it was when DV was still using insert pictures, so I guess I've somehow confused two into one site in my head somewhere. Lavonia's site didn't use DV's pictures and had a ton of MOC images that DV also didn't have. But it all just vanished when she did, and that was that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:41:04 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Ponyland Tours is a pretty good site for G1 ID.

Ahh, this was the one I wanted to recommend but I couldn't remember what it was called!

It's a lovely layout, and the photos and info are very clear. I love it.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »
I STILL used Dream Valley to this day when needing to look up the name of a G1 or to update my wishlist. I am very, very sorry to see this website go. I have never used any other ID sites. I guess I will have to now. This is a huge shame. :(  I understand that it's her decision and I respect that, but I really hate to see this major piece of pony history to go. So many memories there.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
Yes, the insert pics from DV were the ones Lavonia's site used.  I suppose Lavonia's point of view was that since the pictures were originally drawn by Hasbro, it didn't matter.  Which, yeah, they were, but Kim was the one who scanned them, sorted them, edited them, and made them available to the community to begin with.  If someone downloaded every single scan from my Tumblr, images I spent hours scanning in, and posted them on their own Tumblr (not reblogged, but posted like they'd done all the work), I'd be livid!

It was after this point that DV started using the "no right-click" code that didn't allow people to do the "Right click, save image" thing.

Lavonia did also have MOC pictures but they were in a separate gallery. 

You can see examples of snagged DV scans on this page . . . She blotted out the place where Kim had typed in the pony names (Wavedancer, etc), then typed in the names herself in a different font. I would know those low-res DV scans anywhere, lol.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040714055341/http://mylittleponycollector.com/links/frm_information.htm

Edit:  Oops, it didn't do the link to the subpage I was trying to link to.  Click on "U. S. Ponies (1982-1991)" and then "Year 2" and you'll see what I mean.  Some of the image links are broken, but that page has scans for the Rainbow ponies and Sea ponies.  And the Year 3 link has them for Sea ponies, Rainbow ponies, and Pegasi & Unicorns.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:05:41 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
I have had that happen with my photos from my website, where people have reappropriated both them and the text of my site for things, so I agree that that's not good. Yeah, they're Hasbro pictures, but yeah, if they were Kim's scans, it's a bit sloppy.

It's been so long since I went to that site and I admit I was mostly interested in it from the MOC stuff point of view. Also I remember she asked me some stuff about UK things, so I probably spent some time there. She has got a mix of photos and set graphics, so I guess it was wherever there was a gap she didn't have filled. But I genuinely never noticed that, so I guess I didn't spend a lot of time in the US section of the site ;)

I can't comment on her layout since many of the old versions of my website are far far worse in all respects.
I just found this one:
http://taffeta.tripod.com/plush.html
And this is STILL ON THE WEB because tripod, in their wisdom, won't let me delete the remaining bits of it. Sigh.

The wayback has the 2001-8 version of my site when I'd discovered frames and I have a big long rant on the main page of that about image theft so I guess at the time it was pretty rife. I remember the ebay incidents so. I'm absolutely not defending it, but maybe it didn't even occur to her that it was an issue. Clearly it is an issue, and I wouldve taken issue with it at the time if I'd seen it.

Lavonia did try to help eradicate a lot of pony myths, though. I respect her for that, since at that time there were not many people interested in doing that to the extent she took it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:32:35 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
It's the end of an era! I even used DV currently to double-check names, sets, and year releases! At least at this point, the information is available on a lot of other sites, but I remember when this was one of the only ones (or at least one of the only ones with a lot of information available!)

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2016, 03:02:37 AM »
Yes! Also I really miss MyLittlePonyCollector.net  - that was a really useful site with LOTS of checklists!
This was it!!! I truly miss that site! Gonna miss dream valley so much! I used to love that she used the back card images! And who can forget pretty bow the U.K. Pony!! (Pokes taffeta)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Cough Sirup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • (ಥᴗಥ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2016, 03:25:51 AM »
This was one of the first sites I had ever found as a child, not just pony but in general! It makes me so so sad to see it gone! :yikes: You will be missed, Dreamvalley!
Formerly BlueCandyCat

Thank you Witch for my sig!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal